Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who's using them and who's using them with the M5 bottom metal?

How's that working out?

Grayboe Stocks

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just about ordered one for a 338 a couple weeks ago, then came to my senses and ordered a McMillan

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought one of the McMillan kids started Grayboe with the blessing of Kelly McMillan to offer a less expensive alternative in form and function?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think your right David, I was eyeing the terrain. I figured I’d spend a couple more bill and get the pattern and everything I wanted. Let me know if ya get one, I’d like to hear a review

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jud man,

Fred’s got one and speaks highly of it

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I kicked it around but decided to go with the McMillan, got 4 all the same specs.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a Renegade and McMillan A5 at the same time. With the exception of the texture on the forearm and grip of the A5
they look like and feel like they came out of the same mold. Both were dipped and we're equals as far as that goes. As for bottom metal it sits proud on the tang screw on the A5, while everything fits flush on the Grayboe like a custom job. I don't know if Grayboe will cannibalize any McMillan sales but should hopefully take share away from the turds at HS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought 2 Terrain Grayboe stocks to try out. One I ordered with a Mesa M5 bottom. The fit was CNC perfect. For-end barrel channel was evenly spaced on left and right witnh no barrel pressure. Front forend is stiff enough...Not McM stiff though. Weight is distributed forward on the stock which gives it a nice and easy shouldering. I like the Terrain better than my B&C stocks. Pistol grip is cut thin for a comfortable grip. It comes with bubble sockets for a tactical sling studs..plus 2 front swivel bases for attaching a bipod. I bought a second one yesterday with a bdl bottom for a .20 Practical build I’m doing next. The Terrains are 20% off right now. It’s a nice price on a quality aftermarket stock..IMHO 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I thought one of the McMillan kids started Grayboe with the blessing of Kelly McMillan to offer a less expensive alternative in form and function?

I think it's Ryan that runs it, one of Kelly's sons.

I've got a terrain that I just put on a 300 win mag built on a Kelbly's atlas tactical action. I like it a lot, the terrain's a lot like the McMillan HTG pattern stock but they fixed the comb height which is too low on the HTG. The only negative I'll say about it is it's not a lightweight stock. If you're looking for light then Grayboe isn't it, but I wasn't looking for light on this rifle so it fit perfectly for what I was wanting. It's very stiff and well made, it's molded to a generic action and then painted. I removed some material and bedded mine but I would have bedded any other stock too so it's a moot point. I have a couple of HS precisions and the Grayboe is better, I'm thinking about picking up another terrain for another build.

Mine has the BDL floorplate so I can't comment on the M5 bottom metal. I can't see why it shouldn't be fine though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gale got the ball rolling,Kelly knocked it out of the park and Ryan too,is doing great things(former SEAL to boot). Wes tried to ride shirt tails,but didn't have the DNA. Anywhoo,I've got McMillan stocks from original M40A1 Return Handles(Smear and Camo both)...all the way to the Mail just opened minutes ago today. Only had (1) each Real McMillan and Fake McMillan.

In fairness,both are perfect.

Nice to have The Vudoo in the Old Glory Classic handle,especially ordered for it(note ejection port) and not so "surprisingly",the Renegade is for my next Vudoo,which is on order(18" MTU Bart',black metal,2 ounces of Shilen,extry mags,yada,yada,yada).

[Linked Image]

As to Ryan's handles,I've only got 'em in (3) patterns and M5 DBM all. Inletting is on the money,fit/finish great and I believe 'em to wear the best studs in da' bidness. Yesssss...I have and respect Wichita Retrostalgia,but pass ANCHORED flush cups for actual use. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Today's Renegade up top,Terrain amidship and Outlander at bottom.

[Linked Image]

Was shootin' a smattering of wares yesterday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

RHR was really spreading the love,on Ryan handles,through the end of last month(20% off and BEST shipping rates in da' bidness). Then prolonged it through this month,to boot(for Terrains). They are exceptional folks and REALLY have their schit together(I've ordered a few thangs in my Life). Hint.

[Linked Image]

The James/RHR melding,simply arranges unequalled Craftsmanship/Precision,at pricing that is unheard of.

I'd not fhuqking linger.

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint.............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Stick if you were getting say a 23" remage in their sporter contour would you use the terrain or outlander? Thinking the outlander is a classic right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outlander for me,for a coupla reasons,all of which have to do with balance,handling and ergo's,which just like boolits,still fhuqking matter...if only to the chagrin of Window Lickers everywhere(grin)

It is simply of less mass and a better fit,to arrange all of them things,when talking the length/contour cited. Is the Outlander a Classic dupe? Nope. It has more comb height,subtle grip differences(angle,curvature and cross section),as well as some differences up front. None of them thangs are "bad" and I'd not be afeared to drive it on a Boomer,due those very differences.

Such things are apparent,when side by each,or in the mitts...whether upon OEM Living Wood or McMillan's dupe of same.

[Linked Image]

Ryan did a REALLY good fhuqking job,on these offering's ergos and there isn't any fhuqking Fluff. I'm not a Double-studded Front Guy,so I always remove the rearmost offering. You might can mebbe see how it mates to a solid piece of aluminum,cast into the stock. KILLER way to attach studs and no thang to remove. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If talking S/A 700 Blueprint,I'd DBM it,no matter the chambering(even 22-250 SALAMI and 6 Kreedmire). In a L/A 700 blueprint and assuming not using pot metal JUNK OEM bottom "metal"...I could happily BDL,due the fact that 700 L/A's,have soooooooo much COAL latitude.

Now spill your guts. Just what in the fhuqk chambering/blueprint are you scheming here? You might could talk me into building a rifle.(grin) Coupla pards ordered 'em in M5 S/A inlet,for Vudoo's that are being built and on the books. Paul's Specter contour,is a fhuqking PEACH there. Just like a Classic,I'd not really wanna go PSS/Sendero contour in one,if only because I have.(grin) Hint. A #3 or #4 would really shine in that handle,if one were compelled to through that much mettle. Pun(s) be intended.

If a guy is tryin' to go "light",then Ryan's handles are gonna certainly disappoint,because they ain't that(by design). For a midweight Utility Rifle,they nicely connect dots and for a Giggles Rifle(Renegade),the added mass over even a HEAVY filled McMillan,can add some nice thangs to the equation. Especially in felt recoil management(I'll ALWAYS take mass over a Loudener) and catching trace/impact.

The Terrain is simply a fhuqking KILLER pattern,but due it's mass increase,I'd not want it aboard the contour/length you dangle. My Heavy BR in the Terrain is simply fhuqking SUPERB and with the new glass that just arrived in Today's Mail(first pic above)...it'll again shine brightly. I'm torn upon setting it's Bushy LRHS Goat Fhuqk on a stump and shooting it with the 10x MQ Fixed Fhuqker,selling it to some dumb bastard in full fhuqking disclosure,or sending it back to the pricks to see WTF and just How The Fhuqk they handle a Puke.

Decisions...decisions.

Film at 11:00.(grin)

Dangle pics of your Outlander,once it hits your mitts...................

(FUNNY schit...I loaded pics of the wrong stock)

I'll let 'er ride,for Whining Dumb Fhuqk Bait.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks. No in short I was thinking of helping a friend put together a 280AI (1-8) and using the remage deal from northland. Was going to use his sporter contour and have it crowned at 23". Don't have a clue about the throats and don't figure that can be specified anyway. Going to assume with all the praise it'll work out. Idea is for the 180's although I like the Berger 168's... and how they kill. BDL is fine with me on this application. Will most likely scop it with a 3-9 swfa because I like them better than the 6's and 10's. I like the turrets size glass and reticle better. I know the reticle is the same but in the hd it is bolder and blacker. Based will be Burris and rings will be something like Burris tps seekins or something similar. Likely the Burris to shim up as to make a zero ish stop.

Oh and likely a brown sling too....grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very instelling.... only after being “singled up” your loooking to save some scratch..... TFF

Do the July and November Sitka deer require such modern equipment???

You seem enamoured by a “seal”???..... congratulations, too bad you simply were too much a cull to have wrestled, played football, or simply been around such folks... grin. Btw, they’re just people, they’re really not that impressive..... hint but you already knew that, kinda like there’s a line of airplanes waiting to take you dall sheep hunting!!!!! Haha you poor stupid, stupid, stupid, literally stupid fuuck......

Ps I hear there’s some boys from down here “cuttin” up on the Rez???? Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Judman
Very instelling.... only after being “singled up” your loooking to save some scratch..... TFF

Do the July and November Sitka deer require such modern equipment???

You seem enamoured by a “seal”???..... congratulations, too bad you simply were too much a cull to have wrestled, played football, or simply been around such folks... grin. Btw, they’re just people, they’re really not that impressive..... hint but you already knew that, kinda like there’s a line of airplanes waiting to take you dall sheep hunting!!!!! Haha you poor stupid, stupid, stupid, literally stupid fuuck......

Ps I hear there’s some boys from down here “cuttin” up on the Rez???? Haha

Five bucks says the seal gets way the [bleep] more Puzzy than sugar tits. 😆

Ps 6.5 wssm Spank’s the creedmoor all day long. Facts are facts. 😎

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Bigstick, I appreciate the info. Do you bolt them up and go or do you bed the actions?
Thanks

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Who's using them and who's using them with the M5 bottom metal?

How's that working out?

Grayboe Stocks

I had a .338 Win XCR in an Outlander, and preferred the egros over the McM Classic. Both stocks were BDL. G-Boe was plenty stiff, but not as stiff as the McM.

I've got a 7mm-08 SPS in an Outlander, BDL, and love it. Fore end is stiff enough, but nothing to write home about.

Had that 7mm-08 in a Terrain with M5, but the fore end was too floppy and contacted the barrel. Ryan checked it out, and said it was per spec.

Just got a Renegade, M5 of course, for a 700 AAC. Haven't shot it yet.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/07/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nomosendero2
Bigstick, I appreciate the info. Do you bolt them up and go or do you bed the actions?
Thanks

I simply shoot and let the rifle tell me,what it wants. Thus far,none of Ryan's handles have seen even as much as a dab bedded lug,by me. The fit is fhuqking KILLER and boolits don't give a schit. I've more than a few stocks to extrapolate and it's often intellesting,to do just that. I'm as at ease in FL bedding something,as I'm Free Floating same,or simply catching the lug. If something is obviously awry,I'm not gonna ask a receiver or barrel to be a Contortionist,but if things look/feel right,I'm at ease in shooting results.

There's ALOTTA Myths,Wivestales and outright BULLSCHIT associated with bedding,.000000001" tolerances and the like. Schit like that,simply cracks me the fhuqk up! It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't. Hint.(grin)

The ONLY way to learn,is to simply do it and the nice thing about bedding is,if you don't like it,who gives a schit...simply do it again. That's as "bad" as it can get.

Shoot,critique them results objectively and act in accordance to the mechanics illuminated. If groups aren't round and the scope is known to be sound,it's either an assembly issue or bedding. That assuming good ammo,that's straight. Kiss,find pressure and rock on.

Let Window Lickers fawn the Fluff and try to feign a FIRST fhuqking clue.

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!.....................

4th,

Are you talking me into,or outta an order?!?(grin)

Dangle pics.

Do NOT ask me to explain why,but the POS Bushy LRHS came alive today and actually fhuqking worked! Shot another TTT,while going Raging Bull on the erector and it tracked/repeated in magnificent fashion,at the 100yd line to 17 Mils of input(max of backstop alotted in Hasty Field Expedient Fashion). Never shot it past the 1360yd mark,but there is finally a glimmer of fhuqking hope. Plan to whistle another hunnert rounds through it tomorrow,to try and sort the rhyme/reason of The Healing.

As an aside,don't be aspooked of a RTV Neutrality Runner,down the inlet centerline of barrel channel. There is nothing worse on a rifle,that a scant Free Float. Float and MEAN it...or don't even fhuqking go there.

Film at 11:00.........................(grin)

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Grayboe only makes them for 700 actions right now don’t they?

Tater
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
You confirmed what I thought, thanks again. I have a couple of long action 700's in my safe that I am ready to work with.
Thanks again

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,584
Posts18,492,106
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.