Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Lincoln had a war to win and he won it.

And was killed in Action .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I never really realized just how much truth there was in that. He really was a Jew, wasn't he.

I've heard he was mixed race and from his appearance he appears Melungeon , also locally known as Redbone. Never heard he was a Jew.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes! I’ve said for many years, that, he was the first president to “walk on the Constitution”! You gave the evidence to support that very clearly! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That last sentence really sums it up. Not just Lincoln, but anything in a history book published in New York raises an eyebrow for me.

Our library, and it's rural, offers e-books. Invariably, one's choices are the Holocaust, the plight of African-Americans, or ghost stories. It isn't by accident. The ghost stories are probably the most truthful.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HawkI
Lincoln was many things but your list is a bit laughable....

His stated goal was to free the slaves? First time Ive heard of it...

Laughable? How? Nothing I posted is from some racist (either side of the color spectrum) source. Read his speeches, particularly that very first one in the Illinois Legislature where he talked about BOTH slaves and the indentured servants. Read the letters between he and Karl Marx.

He believed that employees should be the ones who decide what their wages were, not the employers.

He, himself, is on record for not wanting to free the slaves and give them rights, he wanted to free them and ship them all back to Africa. He was politically pressured into the Emancipation Proclamation.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
My Grandpaw use to say Lincoln got what he had coming to him - just should have been sooner .

Well,...Lincoln had plans to send American blacks to Liberia. Booth shot that plan in the head.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
In fact, if you read some of the statements made by Lincoln during the Lincoln/Douglas debates, you have to conclude that Lincoln was a hardcore white supremacist,...and made no secret of the fact.

The Real Lincoln, by Thomas DiLorenzo paints a picture of the man that history has ignored. In fact, It's hard not to come to the conclusion that one primary reason Lincoln initiated the war between the states was because he believed that blacks needed to be removed from America.

Some abolitionists had more altruistic reasons for wanting to end slavery. But Lincoln just wanted them gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Agenda-Unnecessary/dp/0761526463

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
https://psmag.com/news/remember-tha...to-get-the-slaves-to-leave-america-55802

Well, it’s the antithesis of Steven Spielberg’s portrait in many respects. The storybook version is, from roughly late 1861 onward, Lincoln was involved in some very serious policy discussions about what the post-slavery United States would look like, and one of his solutions that he offered, drawing on something that had long been a part of his political advocacy, was to colonize the slaves abroad. Historically, the most famous example of this is Liberia, which was founded in 1816 and over the course of the next 50 or 60 years, several thousand former slaves migrated to Liberia and colonized it.

Lincoln liked this model, but wanted to expand upon it, and he was willing to look in Central and South America, and across the Caribbean. He pursued this policy for the better part of his presidency, secured funding from Congress in 1862, and carried it out in conjunction with the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of the reasons I no longer post here....except, to say I no longer post here because of stuff like this.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

One of the reasons I no longer post here....except, to say I no longer post here because of stuff like this.

Because of what?

This thread contains many directions.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lincoln was scum and a murderer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Grandpaw use to say Lincoln got what he had coming to him - just should have been sooner .

You won't get an argument from me. Your Grandpaw was right.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Well,...Lincoln had plans to send American blacks to Liberia. Booth shot that plan in the head.

The country was in financial ruin more-less , he did send a small number back - some enslaved the local blacks when they got back to africa .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
All I know is there sure as hell wasn’t a "Jefferson Davis Brigade" fighting Franco’s boys in Spain.

wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would have settled for "Honest Abe" catching a bullet after he deported the newly freed black slaves to Haiti or Liberia/Afreaka.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have always been as anti-Lincoln as anyone, but I must admit that was one of the best ideas any American president has ever had.........before or since.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
14. Under Lincoln, the national debt grew over 4,000%.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that if Cal Coolidge was president during the Civil War, the numbers would shake out pretty much the same.

I always looked at Coolidge as the last of the "small government" Republicans. You made me go back and do some research. grin

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Coolidge's fiscal behavior while President;

Taxation and government spending
Coolidge adopted the taxation policies of his Secretary of the Treasury, Andrew Mellon, who advocated "scientific taxation" — the notion that lowering taxes will increase, rather than decrease, government receipts.[112] Congress agreed, and tax rates were reduced in Coolidge's term.[112] In addition to federal tax cuts, Coolidge proposed reductions in federal expenditures and retiring of the federal debt.[113] Coolidge's ideas were shared by the Republicans in Congress, and in 1924, Congress passed the Revenue Act of 1924, which reduced income tax rates and eliminated all income taxation for some two million people.[113] They reduced taxes again by passing the Revenue Acts of 1926 and 1928, all the while continuing to keep spending down so as to reduce the overall federal debt.[114] By 1927, only the wealthiest 2% of taxpayers paid any federal income tax.[114] Federal spending remained flat during Coolidge's administration, allowing one-fourth of the federal debt to be retired in total. State and local governments saw considerable growth, however, surpassing the federal budget in 1927.[115]

Am I missing something that Wikipedia has left out?

Ed

Andrew Mellon is a guy that doesn't get nearly enough credit for the modern American economy. In the 1920s he was implementing economic principles that were considered ground breaking in the 1980s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In fact, if you read some of the statements made by Lincoln during the Lincoln/Douglas debates, you have to conclude that Lincoln was a hardcore white supremacist,...and made no secret of the fact.

The Real Lincoln, by Thomas DiLorenzo paints a picture of the man that history has ignored. In fact, It's hard not to come to the conclusion that one primary reason Lincoln initiated the war between the states was because he believed that blacks needed to be removed from America.

Some abolitionists had more altruistic reasons for wanting to end slavery. But Lincoln just wanted them gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Agenda-Unnecessary/dp/0761526463

Lincoln was no more white supremacist than most whites of his era.
Total BS that he wanted all blacks gone.
He understood that the South could not survive with out people to pick cotton.
He gave them the freedom to chose.

Read some of his later writings and speeches after he had seen how bad slavery had been.
Read his last speech and what he wanted to do help the South recover.
But a back shooting coward destroyed his chance to do that one and did more to hurt the South than anyone else.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois.( I’d add Minnesota to your group as well)

With apologies to, and exceptions for, many of our fine members from those states you listed in your Item 2, I’m curious if anyone can point to a prominent Politician from that area who wasn’t a flaming Liberal, bat [bleep] crazy, or both.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,497
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.