Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12794886 04/14/18
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm considering a 22 Hornet and the Ruger 77/22 is a very good looking gun.....although it's MSRP is a full grand less a buck. My real concern is that I'm among those that have not had any good luck with Ruger guns and haven't purchased any in over 20 years for that reason......

SO....what's the opinions?...does this gun feed, extract, eject, with a reasonable trigger and deliver accuracy capable of hitting a half dollar consistently at 100 yards?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm considering a 22 Hornet and the Ruger 77/22 is a very good looking gun.....although it's MSRP is a full grand less a buck. My real concern is that I'm among those that have not had any good luck with Ruger guns and haven't purchased any in over 20 years for that reason......

SO....what's the opinions?...does this gun feed, extract, eject, with a reasonable trigger and deliver accuracy capable of hitting a half dollar consistently at 100 yards?

I had two of them.
Does it feed, yes.
Does it extract and eject, yes.
Does it have a reasonable trigger, no.
Will it hit a half dollar consistently at 100 yds, no.
Great looking and functioning guns, except where it’s critical, accuracy.
I have not bought a Ruger in years and vowed, never again.

NRA Patron
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06

I had two of them.
Does it feed, yes.
Does it extract and eject, yes.
Does it have a reasonable trigger, no.
Will it hit a half dollar consistently at 100 yds, no.
Great looking and functioning guns, except where it’s critical, accuracy.
I have not bought a Ruger in years and vowed, never again.

Thank you.....I guess that puts Ruger back on hold again.....

Can anyone give a report on the CZ .22 hornet.....model 527 I think?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm considering a 22 Hornet and the Ruger 77/22

Wrong choice, Vapo-dude..

Everyone knows the 17's are way more better/funner. 17 Hornet and 17 hmr.....

Can you spell Schleck-o-slob-ah-kia?

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'm considering a 22 Hornet and the Ruger 77/22

Wrong choice, Vapo-dude..

Everyone knows the 17's are way more better/funner. 17 Hornet and 17 hmr.....

Can you spell Schleck-o-slob-ah-kia?

apparantly so....is that why I find ammo not available at midwayusa?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go with the CZ, Ive had two in Hornets, exceptional accuracy, nicer over all fit and finish than Ruger.......and no where near as pricey.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And no where near as American made.......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Vapodog,

I wonder if dale06's 77/22 Hornet was an early one without the hammer forged barrel like they have now?

I can't speak to the 77/22 Hornet, but the 77/22 lr I had was very accurate and the trigger was acceptable. Not in the same league as my Browning Micro Medallion .22 Hornet, but it can be remedied.

There are a bunch of .22 Hornet afficionados that lurk on both the "Ask the Gunwriters" and "Varmint Rifle Reloading" forums here. Maybe post your question on those forums and see what kind of responses you get.

All the best in your search!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

certainly can't argue with that. However I'm now more concerned with American purchased.....and overwhelmingly the evidence is that the Rugers are of inadequate quality.....both in quality of trigger and accuracy.....

Having been a quality manager with a fortune 500 company, I know that quality mirrors the company's management.....not the workers! Ruger is off limits on this purchase.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I see you said Ruger is out but I’ll throw this in for good measure. I have 3 77 series rifles, 17 hornet, 22 hornet and 17WSM. All three had to have trigger work but all three shoot sub moa. The 22 hornet is the most accurate of all and it’ll shoot any hand load I throw at it.

Good luck in your search

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
IC B3

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
I see you said Ruger is out but I’ll throw this in for good measure. I have 3 77 series rifles, 17 hornet, 22 hornet and 17WSM. All three had to have trigger work but all three shoot sub moa. The 22 hornet is the most accurate of all and it’ll shoot any hand load I throw at it.

Good luck in your search
Thank you for that post....it' does help to hear some positive comments about Ruger rifles.

Having said that.....why must a gun that retails for $999 ( a princely sum in my opinion) have to have a trigger job? Savage makes a marvelous trigger and many others are using it....and the Savage in 22 Hornet sells for $400 less.....It's simply inconceivable to me that I need to spend a grand on a rifle and immediately start to fix it the way it should have been day-1!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is simply inconceivable to me that a 'fortune 500 quality manager' (whatever the heck that is) would consider buying based solely on price. But price now seems to drive most gun companies because that is what the customer base demands. If I price mine less than everyone else, I win......

Unskilled or cheap labor, corner-cutting and cheap materials are order of the day. 'Princely sums' also aren't worth saving for anymore. Instant gratification rules.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

certainly can't argue with that. However I'm now more concerned with American purchased.....and overwhelmingly the evidence is that the Rugers are of inadequate quality.....both in quality of trigger and accuracy.....

Having been a quality manager with a fortune 500 company, I know that quality mirrors the company's management.....not the workers! Ruger is off limits on this purchase.

Mule Deer:
" I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do."

Boxer - Big Stick:
"I've Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for "accuracy" woe which I've yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales."

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I have had super duper luck with the 77/22 rimfire and a 77/17 rimfire. I have shot a couple of the 77s in a hornet and was NOT impressed with the accuracy...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But you must admit, Oh Great and Powerful Poobs, that you haven't shot the 77/17 Hornet......

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LowerRiver

Good luck in your search
Thank you for that post....it' does help to hear some positive comments about Ruger rifles.

Having said that.....why must a gun that retails for $999 ( a princely sum in my opinion) have to have a trigger job? Savage makes a marvelous trigger and many others are using it....and the Savage in 22 Hornet sells for $400 less.....It's simply inconceivable to me that I need to spend a grand on a rifle and immediately start to fix it the way it should have been day-1!

The triggers are truly disappointing and I do agree that Ruger should be able to come up with something better. Also note that most people I’ve talked to that complained about 77 series accuracy had not done anything to improve the trigger. I spend the money on the 77 series because to me they feel like a real rifle. I’ve handled the savage and it felt like a cheap rimfire rifle.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sure their triggers need work out of the box. Once you get them, you have A good trigger with rugged open design. The scope mounts are stronger then anything else out there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But you must admit, Oh Great and Powerful Poobs, that you haven't shot the 77/17 Hornet......

That is true, and it sings a siren song....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no complaints about my Ruger 77 Hornet punched K, save the sloppy 2 piece bolt which occasionally hangs up upon extraction.

The trigger is easily tuned so that's a non issue.

With the 35 VMAX and a stiff charge of H110 it'll easily hit a half dollar at 200 yards, let alone 100. I've got no complaints with a CZ (though I do not have one in a hornet) but the fit and finish of the CZ is nowhere near comparable to the Ruger IMO, especially the laminated.
[Linked Image]

The .17 Hornet is always a good choice too. I doubt you could go wrong with either round.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I haven't had a Ruger 77 so I can't comment on them, but I sure like my CZ 527s. Got a few of them now, first one was the Varmint version in 17 hornet. Really love that rifle and cartridge and the set trigger is a joy to shoot. Super accurate combo. Also have a Savage Model 40 (single shot bolt action) in 22 Hornet that I bought a good few years ago before the CZ. That one is a tack-driver with Hornady 35gr vmax factory loads and I've shot countless rounds through it at small varmints. If you are thinking about the newer Savage model 25's I'd probably keep looking. I tried a couple of them and both were terrible - never fed out of the magazines quite right, groups wandered horribly as barrel heated, couldn't single feed rounds due to the design, etc. I'd rather go for a CZ or Ruger.

Oh, and the CZ 17hornet can take coyotes too! (Those are nice ones T_Inman) smile

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.