Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I don’t have a dog in this fight, I mean discussion...But, I do have 6 one shot bang flops between 725 and 847 yards on elk with my Sendero 300 RUM....No flinch. No trigger jerk...Just nice solid holds across the top of my hunting pack.

I would assume a shooter with solid skills BTS would be successful in producing a one shot kill with 1625-1800 FPS with penetrating and expanding bullets. 180gr NAB’s work fantastic in my RUM...I can’t judge abilities via my keyboard...

But, I would know it in a heartbeat, in the field, if a guy was capable of making an 800 yard, one shot stop, just by how he was going about setting up for the shot, using calibers being discussed... 😎

Honestly,I wouldn't even think of an 800 yard shot right now. In my OP I said I may never shoot an animal that far. I do want to put together a fairly light weight hunting rifle capable of killing that far so I can start practicing at longer ranges. I'll never shoot at an animal that far until I am confident that I can make the shot,because I have made the shot a lot in practice.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My PRC shooting the 150 SMK at 3025 makes 1050 yards before dropping below 1800 fps.

The 147 should be right in there as well.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RH: I wasn’t busting on you at all...Apologies, if I made you think that....Owning a rifle, optics and caliber with the right load and bullet is the starting-line. As you said, the rest is practice at whatever yardage’s you want to become skilled at...

I’ve passed on many shots closer than 600 yards because I couldn’t get set up properly to make a good shot on the animal. I won’t allow myself to rush into an unstable position when a distance, I consider, a far shot for me, is required...

Some have said that the right bullets matter, which they do...Velocity at long distance matters, too. Especially and obviously, on heavy bodied, heavy boned and thick hide creatures. The rest of it is up to hitting vitals...A poster here said once. “We all want to make a great first shot”...”It’s what happens, if you don’t, that can make it all a nightmare”...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by qwk
If you want to shoot elk at 800 yards, you need slippery bullets, and enough speed so they expand. The creed or a 308 won't push those fast enough for reliable expansion at that distance. Time to step up to a magnum cartridge, unless you want to wound and lose animals....

Does that mean you don't consider the 6.5 PRC enough but would consider the 300 Win Mag enough?

I’m pretty sure the 6.5 PRC outshoots the .300 Win Mag at these distances. The Creedmoor, might, too.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf
My PRC shooting the 150 SMK at 3025 makes 1050 yards before dropping below 1800 fps.

This could be a “winner-winner chicken dinner” 1800 FPS with penetrating expansion. That’ll work! 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Roger that!! My 6.5 CM drops below 1800 fps just after 950 yards with a DA of 2000' and a 147 ELDM. But I built a 7 WSM for a reason where impact velocity is 2200+ fps at that 800 yard mark. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My "little" 6.5x47 with 130 VLD's makes 875, and bet you'll get expansion well beyond that.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aalf, would you post that picture of your LR Rigs once again from the World Record Thread? That would show RH the possibilities imaginable....Yeah, I just want to see them again, too.

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
RH: I wasn’t busting on you at all...Apologies, if I made you think that....Owning a rifle, optics and caliber with the right load and bullet is the starting-line. As you said, the rest is practice at whatever yardage’s you want to become skilled at...

I’ve passed on many shots closer than 600 yards because I couldn’t get set up properly to make a good shot on the animal. I won’t allow myself to rush into an unstable position when a distance, I consider, a far shot for me, is required...

Some have said that the right bullets matter, which they do...Velocity at long distance matters, too. Especially and obviously, on heavy bodied, heavy boned and thick hide creatures. The rest of it is up to hitting vitals...A poster here said once. “We all want to make a great first shot”...”It’s what happens, if you don’t, that can make it all a nightmare”...😎

No worries. I didn't think anything like that. I just wanted you guys with more experience to know that I wasn't some young punk that thought all he needed was a rifle.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t have a dog in this fight, I mean discussion...But, I do have 6 one shot bang flops between 725 and 847 yards on elk with my Sendero 300 RUM....No flinch. No trigger jerk...Just nice solid holds across the top of my hunting pack.

I would assume a shooter with solid skills BTS would be successful in producing a one shot kill with 1625-1800 FPS with penetrating and expanding bullets. 180gr NAB’s work fantastic in my RUM...I can’t judge abilities via my keyboard...

But, I would know it in a heartbeat, in the field, if a guy was capable of making an 800 yard, one shot stop, just by how he was going about setting up for the shot, using calibers being discussed... 😎

Honestly,I wouldn't even think of an 800 yard shot right now. In my OP I said I may never shoot an animal that far. I do want to put together a fairly light weight hunting rifle capable of killing that far so I can start practicing at longer ranges. I'll never shoot at an animal that far until I am confident that I can make the shot,because I have made the shot a lot in practice.

Built one a bit like you're thinking. 6.5 SAUM (same/same PRC), comes in at 8.75 lbs as you see it. Recoil is no problem at all and Im not limited by numbers or equipment... just conditions and my shooting. So, another vote for the PRC

[Linked Image]

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aalf, would you post that picture of your LR Rigs once again from the World Record Thread? That would show RH the possibilities imaginable....Yeah, I just want to see them again, too.

Can't pass up a call out.......grin.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you want to shoot an elk at 800 yards?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by qwk
If you want to shoot elk at 800 yards, you need slippery bullets, and enough speed so they expand. The creed or a 308 won't push those fast enough for reliable expansion at that distance. Time to step up to a magnum cartridge, unless you want to wound and lose animals....

Agreed, you'll want atleast 1800 fps impact velocity at 800 yards with whatever bullet you select. The 6.5 CM can do it, 308 not so much. 6.5 PRC would be even mo better for that. Whatever you choose make sure its cheap to feed so you can afford to shoot it a lot.

The AM and I assume the ELD-M expand well to quite a bit lower than 1800 fps, so the minimum expansion velocity is dependent on the bullet being used.

Define expansion. Just because the manufacturer says something, does not make it so. Some of you guys watch too much TV.

The manufacturer does not make any expansion velocity claims for the AM and ELD-M. I know how the AM (and the ELD-M is an exact design copy, save for the tip) expands at low velocities because I've shot them into flesh at long distance. Do you have experience that says I'm wrong about the AM, or are you basing your opinion on "watching too much TV" and the internet?
The ones I have shot at that distance don't always expand. Like I said, you can shoot elk at that distance, and go chasing after them when they are wounded.

Last edited by qwk; 04/15/18.
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Brad
Because they saw it on TV, you know. IME, very few can pull off 800 yard shots on an Elk, and not wound it. Between the wolves, and idiot moves like this=few hunting opportunities for elk in the future.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Would you guys consider either caliber suitable for hunting elk sized animals up to 800 yards? If so which one would you prefer? If not and your next pick was between the 6.5 PRC and 300 Win mag,which one would you choose?

It is doubtful that I will ever shoot at animals that far but I do want to work on my long range skills with my next rifle purchase. I'm trying to find a good compromise between low recoil for lots of practice and performance on big game at long range. The rifle will likely be the Seekins Havak. Right now,I am in the 6.5 PRC camp in my thinking but would like to hear any other opinions and advice since I have never been a long range hunter.

I’d replace the 300 WM choice with an appropriately twisted 7 Rem Mag and be shooting 180s. That being said, my 6.5x47 Lapua has 1800fps remaining out to 850 yards with the 147gr ELD...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I actually said I likely never would.Twice.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/15/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Can't pass up a call out.......grin.....

[Linked Image]

Gonna replace my Farrah poster with this ^^^^^Thanks, aalf 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by qwk
Because they saw it on TV, you know. IME, very few can pull off 800 yard shots on an Elk, and not wound it. Between the wolves, and idiot moves like this=few hunting opportunities for elk in the future.

Does anyone actually watch those shows?? I saw a couple episodes pf one long range show like 9-10 years ago and was over it after that.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have only heard about them, but apparently it's easy to kill elk at long range. All you need is a Creedmoor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by qwk
There isn't really "an edge of being capable". You want the most gun you can handle without developing a serious flinch, then shoot it a lot to become proficient at those distances.

The .50 BMG is where the line starts.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.