Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
New to the forums and I am sure this has been hashed to death several times. I plan on making a mountain hunt in the next few years and was thinking of getting a Kimber Hunter in 280 AI for a pack rifle. I have seen a few other light weight rifles in 280 Rem as well. I'm thinking shots out to 5-600 yards. I know the potential of the AI chamber if its hand loaded properly, and the high BC of 7mm bullets. Which rifle/caliber would you guys choose?

Dont eat the big white mint!
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had the AI since around 1985. Mine have been Jarrett rifles. I’ve shot more game with that round than any other caliber. It’s a very very good round. I won’t get into the “it’s just as good as the 7mag” argument, as it’s pointless. I get velocities in the 7mag range, exceptional accuracy, it’s easy on the brass, no belt to contend with, easy to reload, etc. Brass, and loaded ammo is readily available, fireforming is easy if you need to. The plain ol 280 is a fine round too, but with the option of a bit more performance, I went with the AI and never looked back.

Plus it’s a sexy looking round with those sharp shoulders.

Last edited by Godogs57; 04/15/18.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The Kimber hunter has a 1 in 9 twist rate, so I am guessing I should be covered on multiple bullet weights?

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I am sure the 280 is a great round, when I bulit my first custom rifle years ago and decided to get into handloading I chose to give the 280 AI a try and have no regrets, 150 TTSX's @3050 has worked very well so far.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by handwerk
I am sure the 280 is a great round, when I bulit my first custom rifle years ago and decided to get into handloading I chose to give the 280 AI a try and have no regrets, 150 TTSX's @3050 has worked very well so far.

What twist rate is your barrel?

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve had both. If you handload, I’d go 280ai all day. It’s easier on brass and you can throw the heavier bullets a little faster.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I own a Kimber 280 AI and have had a plain Jane 280 for 30 years. Either will work fine. I get an honest 3000 ft/sec with 160 grain bullets and 60.5 of Re 26. Mine doesn't shoot the best with Re26 but other forum members do. That said, the 280 AI case just looks cool 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"It’s easier on brass and you can throw the heavier bullets a little faster."

+1

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 280AI cases look a little different. whistle whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not many choices for a lightweight rifle in one of these chamberings, unless you want to go custom.

If it was me, I would want a 9-twist for the heavy bullets. That eliminates the 10-twist Browning and Winchester rifles.

And with Hornady loading the 280AI and selling brass now, there's a second factory ammo source.

I would (and did) pick my Kimber in 280AI and accept the benefits.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw...

Bullets definitely appear to be trending longer, not shorter. 1 in 9.

Even if you are going to handload the AI still has advantages in that it also can be a 280 utilizing 280 brass, has 4g more capacity, and solid published pressure data. Were I looking to the future, thinking resale, the AI appears to have growing support as evidenced by Nosler, Hornady and Kimber. When the short-fat came out, I thought the 280AI would die--but that didn't happen. At that time I was having a custom built and the gent talked me out of the short-fat to stick with the AI--am very glad he did.

Further, if a guy would rather under-perform the case capacity potential and shoot typical 280 factory levels, you might as well pick a smaller case/action in the first place.

Not to say I don't have a 280...:)

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Not many choices for a lightweight rifle in one of these chamberings, unless you want to go custom.

If it was me, I would want a 9-twist for the heavy bullets. That eliminates the 10-twist Browning and Winchester rifles.

And with Hornady loading the 280AI and selling brass now, there's a second factory ammo source.

I would (and did) pick my Kimber in 280AI and accept the benefits.

Which model Kimber did you go with?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Dont sweat the minutia between the two cartridges. The rifle itself (balance, fit, accuracy, etc.) is a much larger factor than if it's chambered for 280 Rem or 280 AI. Pick the rifle that fits you properly and balances best for you offhand, and go with either chambering offered in that particular rifle. I don't know of any manufacturer that currently offers both 280 cartridges.

If the rifle you select isn't offered in either, a more commonly chambering like the 270 or 7-08 would do just as well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a Kimber Classic Select Stainless in 280AI.

You probably can't find one of those. Not many stainless ones made, but blued/wood are available.

At 6lbs 2oz it's the heaviest 84L they make.

But I have owned a Hunter and several 84L Montanas in other chamberings, and they were all good. The Subalpine looks good too.

Whichever you choose, I think you will be happy with it.

BTW - If budget is not an issue I would look at the Christensen Ridgeline too.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 04/15/18. Reason: Added Christensen info.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

You probably can't find one of those. Not many stainless ones made, but blued/wood are available.

But I have owned a Hunter and several 84L Montanas in other chamberings, and they were all good. The Subalpine looks good too.

Trying to stay $1200 and under, that's why the Kimber hunter caught my eye. Local stores sell them for $750 ish plus a LW scope which I haven't decided on either. I think I am going to go with the 280 AI Kimber hunter, seems to be the lightest and best price point for this project.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've loaded for a couple .280AIs. Very accurate, good velocities, great brass life. That said, none are mine, as I've managed to accumulate three 7x57s, and see no reason (personally) to burn more powder. You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM

Trying to stay $1200 and under, that's why the Kimber hunter caught my eye. Local stores sell them for $750 ish plus a LW scope which I haven't decided on either. I think I am going to go with the 280 AI Kimber hunter, seems to be the lightest and best price point for this project.

The Kimber Hunter has a lot going for it at that price point. I think you will be very happy with it.

The nice thing about a lighter rifle is you can go a little heavier with the scope if you need to, and still have a light total weight.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going the AI route, but either one would be just fine, IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM

The Kimber Hunter has a lot going for it at that price point. I think you will be very happy with it.

The nice thing about a lighter rifle is you can go a little heavier with the scope if you need to, and still have a light total weight.

I was thinking about the VX light weight 3-9X33 or a Vortex DBHP 4-16X42 may flip a coin and go from there. Can anyone confirm shooting the 280 rem cartridge in the AI chamber?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, batch, 8 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,477
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.