-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Musta been a helluva lotta small game to hunt back then iz all I can say.

Not so much a question of how much small game but rather the fact that the country was a lot more rural back then and a lot more folks hunted.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Darn cool! Spent some time in North Woodstock, as my wife has family there. Sure the men passed through that shop! Hildus Knudsen, on Lost River Rd. Had cabins for rent. That place sure did change a lot! Seemed like all of a sudden, mid 1980's.

Last edited by benchman; 04/22/18.
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have to tell you back in the day around here,lots of people could only afford 1 gun !so a shotgun in the brush with buck or slug was their deer gun also. Shiff was one of the few guys that actually sent out a mailer and sold guns thru the mail.I think if you look at the far upper left in this photo you can see a row of savage rifles. Im going to try and get a better photo.

[Linked Image]

Also heres a bunch of real rifle loonies that were friends of Shiff,this photo was part of his collection.They were the real shooters of the day.

[Linked Image]

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don that last picture is very interesting. I can not blow it up enough to see the front mount very well but the rear looks like the one Gene just aquired?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I couldn't tell either ,but the barrel appears to be round,so im thinking regular target scope blocks. here is another photo from my Shiff collection, a pair that would beat a full house! grin

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I already looked at those mounts, it's the first thing that caught my eye in the picture. They are not his make and are much later, I think it's a Fecker scope and those look like Fecker mounts, 'Old Gun Scopes' says Fecker started in the mid 20's. The bump on the top of the front mount is not a hinge but houses a spring loaded grooved plunger that rides on a rib on the scope, this scope is designed to be sit in the bottom of the front mount.

I have a similar set I was going to get a picture of ....somewhere....

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don thanks for sharing these.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Loggah
I have to tell you back in the day around here,lots of people could only afford 1 gun !so a shotgun in the brush with buck or slug was their deer gun also.

I think that was the general condition of most the country. That, and coupled with the perspective that firearms were pretty much something more akin to a tool than anything else. We are lucky to live in a time when there is such a surplus of wealth that allows us acquire an abundance of material wealth.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don

Did you just come into these? They're amazin' to say the least. And the one with Roberts and Pope talking! At Walnut Hill no less. Historic. Thanks for posting them.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve, i got them a few weeks ago, i probably have around 300 photos that came from Shiff's scrapbook, most are different firearms,and a lot were taken by Ned Roberts and sent to Shiff. I also got all the correspondence from the chief of police at the time,with shiffs heirs and the lawyers involved, hell i even got the old deed from when shiff bought the property in 1920!! Theres a lot of muzzleloader pictures,target rifles and one of a kind firearms. Lots of colt pictures from pattersons,up thru different devolepment pictures to the 1847 Walker,with lots of prototype pictures. mind boggling for sure. Don

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
In the Walnut Hill photo it looks like we have two Ballard’s, Pope has an 85 Winchester, I’m not sure what the guy to his left has (might be a 1903 T), and the guy in the fedora at the far right has an 03. Who knows what the scopes are? Who knows who all the guys are?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Don, nice acquisition.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
The last names are written on the back,some are quite famous. clockwise from far left.

Chet Moore
John Shaw
Stevens
Rudolph Tharnish
lucian Cary
Elliott
Dickerson
Kelley
Dwyer, in the white shirt,the last man to the right was unnamed.Lucian Cary wrote quite a few stories for the Saturday evening post,and was the Gun editor for True magazine for 20 years.He wrote quite a few stories ,called the J.M.Pyne stories based on Harry M. Pope. as the subject.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I was about ten years old, my father ordered some Fawcett books on fishing. The price was the same for five books as four, so he ordered "Lucian Cary on Guns" for me as the fifth. I just about wore through the pages with my eyes, reading that book over and over. That is what set me on the primrose path of guns.

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cary, Is quite the story teller, I'm reading the J.M.Pyne stories for the second time! smile Heres another famous gunsmith from days gone by,another picture from the album.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gun Digest ran the J.M Pyne stories in the 60's. Great stories.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I saw the pic I thought that was Lucian Cary. I'm sure Harry was merely posing with that High Wall (and yes it wears a Fecker scope, identical to the one I have on my M52), because Harry Pope injured his left wrist 30 or so years before that photo was taken and gave up competitive shooting after that as he didn't have the strength in the wrist to hold a heavy rifle through the course of a long day on the firing line. He was 75 in the picture. He died in 1949.

I too revel in Cary's J.M.Pyne stories. I have a book containing all of them, with stories by Cary about how he got into precision shooting and made friends with Pope in the process. I guess I know what my bedtime reading will be tonight!

If I walked into Shiff the Gun Man's place today you would find me still there tomorrow.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/22/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I posted these pictures in the muzzle loader forum,but i might as well keep my rambling on here. these are 3 pictures taken by Ned Roberts on june 22,1940. The pictures are of Elmer Wolf's gunshop,and homestead in Thurmont Md.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

as you can see old Elmer was a snappy dresser,just like myself!! grin

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Distinct similarity! Somehow I think the Vault would be cozier in the wintertime. But on the other hand Elmer had a Model A Ford to pose behind.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ya still running a model "A" 19 years after the last one was built,ol Elmer was pretty frugal!!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.