Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe

By the way,..anybody who doesn't have C cleaner needs to download it. It's free. Google chrome has their own version. I clean my browser regularly to keep all the pop ups off. It's a simple procedure. Just a series of clicks.

Ccleaner
Epic Browser
Glary Utilities
Peerblock
PIA VPN
TOR
AVG Internet Security
Adfender
Hide Folders Pro

And a naturally suspicious nature.

I am covered.

Added; and a 16 GB Iron Key for travel and thinking of one of the external Iron Key drives for storage.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/23/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned an AR7 in the '70's because it could be stored in the stock and floated. I put up with the rest of the crappiness for those two reasons. I don't know if the basic rifle has improved over the years.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The pre-Henry versions had some issues, from what I've heard. A buddy had a Charter Arms one back in the '80's but he wasn't all that happy with it and it went down the road in a trade soon after. I heard that Henry made some improvements in the design and got some of the bugs out. So in Jan. 2016 I picked up a Henry AR-7 that was barely used and had sat in a closet for a couple years before the owner decided to sell it. We've had less than 300 rounds through it but with no problems at all. Not exactly a match grade tack driver but it's still decently accurate for its intended role as a survival rifle, which is harvesting edible small game, mostly. I don't know how it would be after 20 years and a couple thousand rounds like my 10/22 but it's gonna be reserved for very occasional use and pretty much held in reserve "just in case". It's all taken down and tucked away so as not to use up any more valuable space in the gun safe. There's a lot of videos on the 'net about them being used and the take-down and assembly and whatever else you wish to know if you google around a bit. All in all I like it and if I wanna shoot .22's there's plenty around here besides the AR-7 but it would make a neat truck gun for occasional use.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
P

O

S

I'd avoid mag fed Marlin's also.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The pre-Henry versions had some issues, from what I've heard. A buddy had a Charter Arms one back in the '80's but he wasn't all that happy with it and it went down the road in a trade soon after. I heard that Henry made some improvements in the design and got some of the bugs out. So in Jan. 2016 I picked up a Henry AR-7 that was barely used and had sat in a closet for a couple years before the owner decided to sell it. We've had less than 300 rounds through it but with no problems at all. Not exactly a match grade tack driver but it's still decently accurate for its intended role as a survival rifle, which is harvesting edible small game, mostly. I don't know how it would be after 20 years and a couple thousand rounds like my 10/22 but it's gonna be reserved for very occasional use and pretty much held in reserve "just in case". It's all taken down and tucked away so as not to use up any more valuable space in the gun safe. There's a lot of videos on the 'net about them being used and the take-down and assembly and whatever else you wish to know if you google around a bit. All in all I like it and if I wanna shoot .22's there's plenty around here besides the AR-7 but it would make a neat truck gun for occasional use.

Good review. Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another here that thinks either a folding stock 10/22 or their takedown model is the better option

The lil Ar7 things are an interesting idea, and I’ve known lots of cub pilots here that have had them. They’re just poorly executed is all. Only thing worse than having a chitty gun is no gun at all.

For Pete’s sake you’re a machinist, you could prolly do some cool stuff with a 10/22 to make it lighter

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm a machinist without a machine shop at my disposal these days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Point taken. Best mechanic still needs tools

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Another here that thinks either a folding stock 10/22 or their takedown model is the better option

The lil Ar7 things are an interesting idea, and I’ve known lots of cub pilots here that have had them. They’re just poorly executed is all. Only thing worse than having a chitty gun is no gun at all.

For Pete’s sake you’re a machinist, you could prolly do some cool stuff with a 10/22 to make it lighter

Telling him it's a POS, which it is, doesn't meet with his already made up mind.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
really, I've been wanting one of those Marlins for awhile

That Chiappa M1-22 for $300 looks pretty nice, but no way would it be considered light.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KFWA; 04/23/18.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want a well made, compact, semi auto 22lr then you should check out the Kel-Tec SU22 c. I looks kinda like an M-4 carbine.
Features:
Picatinny top rail
26 round magazine
Threaded muzzle
Folding stock
Adjustable iron sights, front and rear
Open, its 34 incjes, closed about 20
Cheaper than Dirt has them, among others

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That Marlin would not be bad. I know it's not what you want, but consider the 10-22 Takedown. I don't know if you know about their takedown model, but it's much better than the regular one. The two we've got are both stainless and require almost no maintenance. I gave my son his first gun last Christmas and he wanted one of them over the Winchester 94-22 I'd actually bought for him several years back. I'd bought two of the Winchesters and already gave his sister hers. I gave him his choice and the twenty-five round mags captured him. I'd bought the one he got from a local gunstore that had just got it in and I thought it was a good buy so I got it. I got the other 10-22 from a buddy who was broke and wanted to sell some stuff, so I gave him a new price for it. It's fancy with camo stock and flash hider. Both Rugers came with padded cases that they break down into and which hold some mags. I think both came with two twenty-five rounders as well as the flush-fitting ten round one. I also had some Butler Creek's from other 10-22's from years past. They like about everything except Federal Match.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Qualifies as a low power assault weapon, I suppose. Weapon of (cold) war, after all James Bond had one.

I have an Armalite. Good for what it is, a stow-away survival rifle. Accuracy not so hot and a trigger you can't do anything about and wish you could. Nice toy though. I put an old Weaver Quik Point on mine and added a LED to brighten up the fiber optic dot when shooting from shadow. Looked cool before AR 'platforms" came out. Present duty is to pop garden gophers from the back door with those Aguila Colibris. Don't think I ever had a failure to function, the damned thing is just too simple. Won't do the semi-auto thing with Colibris of course.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe get a 10-22 takedown with this Magpul stock.

https://www.magpul.com/products/x-22-backpacker-stock-ruger-10-22-takedown

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I was after a truck 22LR, it would be this bad boy right here.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22tsr

Load it with Quiets and with that barrel length it will be uhhh... Quiet.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Henry is making them now. I think Armalite first came out with them. I just want a ultralight, compact .22 autoloader to put behind the seat of my pickup. Do they work consistently without jamming? Are they reasonably accurate?

The only thing that I could hit with my old very early model was the spiders in the barrel. Mine was an Armelite.

Pros: It did float...

Cons: Inaccurate, finicky about what ammo it would cycle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is an aftermarket stock for the 10/22 Takedown that came out last year that makes the 10/22 a bit handier to carry. I can't remember the name, but it was chosen by the NRA as one of the best new products.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/23/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
If I was after a truck 22LR, it would be this bad boy right here.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22tsr

Load it with Quiets and with that barrel length it will be uhhh... Quiet.

May have to agree with you on that...

Those Marlin bolt guns do shoot...

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Plus they hold three and half boxes of Shorts. Seem to anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Oh great. Another thing I didn't know existed but now I suddenly have a need for. Thanks. cry

This is what I was thinking. whistle

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.