Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Really practical advise there. Especially the part about checking your frozen elk meat in single "bag" on an airplane.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by Theeck
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I‘ll pass on buying land. Maybe one day when I retire or partially retire I can spend enough time out there to justify buying a cabin. Until then, I‘ll just keep upgrading my gear.

One question: I see BLM land mentioned periodically. I know it stands for Bureau of Land Management but is this public land? Open to hunting and camping?

I 'think' I understand the relationship between hunters and grazers on BLM.
I've personally always been granted permission to hunt BLM from the lease holders with the understanding that they have a considerable financial asset on that property.
I think that gets abused both ways. Some hunters will presume that because it is BLM they have free access. Some lease holders will tell hunters that it is leased. Period.
Yes, BLM land is public land. Whether or not it's open to hunting is mostly up to that state fish and game. Camping allowances are managed by the pertinent BLM office, but for the most part camping is allowed most everywhere.

No, the grazing permittee/leasee may not prevent you from using that land for any purpose. It's a "prohibitive act" per the terms and conditions of their grazing permit/lease.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

the meat on the plane is a good idea, but think through based on baggage limits/costs. Flying coach, you can't go over 50lbs, and if you go over 2 bags, you get an additional fee. If a bag goes over BOTH weight and is the 3rd bag, you get BOTH fees. Do the math out and see which way works better, you are talking 150-200lbs of meat.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by Theeck
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I‘ll pass on buying land. Maybe one day when I retire or partially retire I can spend enough time out there to justify buying a cabin. Until then, I‘ll just keep upgrading my gear.

One question: I see BLM land mentioned periodically. I know it stands for Bureau of Land Management but is this public land? Open to hunting and camping?

I 'think' I understand the relationship between hunters and grazers on BLM.
I've personally always been granted permission to hunt BLM from the lease holders with the understanding that they have a considerable financial asset on that property.
I think that gets abused both ways. Some hunters will presume that because it is BLM they have free access. Some lease holders will tell hunters that it is leased. Period.
Yes, BLM land is public land. Whether or not it's open to hunting is mostly up to that state fish and game. Camping allowances are managed by the pertinent BLM office, but for the most part camping is allowed most everywhere.

No, the grazing permittee/leasee may not prevent you from using that land for any purpose. It's a "prohibitive act" per the terms and conditions of their grazing permit/lease.

Good info, thanks. Maybe I should be looking into BLM land instead of the National Forest land.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own a small property in elk country, three hours from here. I can see the attraction. I did see it.

The reality is that its a lot of work and expense. We do use it for much more than hunting. But still, I can't imagine owning property 30 hours from home for such a purpose. Just for example, squatters are real. Our only neighbors out there had squatters for months, they didn't check on their place and who are we to assume that someone isn't supposed to be there? Weeds, mowing, taxes, upkeep, insurance and the list goes on. In my case its ok, I knew what I was getting into and we visit frequently year round. Just for elk season, no way. Spend that on outfitters and gear, you'll be way ahead.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Meat processors can freeze your processed big game and ship via provided cooler. Or waxed cardboard boxes designed specifically to ship meat or fish. Alaska hunters have been doing it for years. Co. is much shorter. You notify your airline and they will ship in the freezer. If dry ice is used, you must notify them but can still be shipped. All airports have commercial cargo shipping, including frozen food. Do your homework and you will find a solution. Keep attention to weight and be smart how you ship. Get the shipping schedule and plan accordingly.
There are commercial cargo shippers that will deliver to your home.
When you think about gas, motel and time on the road, never mind weather conditions, you are miles ahead.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Are you only looking in Colorado or are you ok with other areas out west? In western MT you could probably buy 20 acres off grid for 20 to 30K and put up a small pole barn structure on a concrete slab for another 20K and if you wanted to develop it with power, water septic etc. , probably another 15-20K and be all in for less than 75K.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sure as hell wish I could buy vacant land in SW MT for $1000/acre!!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bart71175
Are you only looking in Colorado or are you ok with other areas out west? In western MT you could probably buy 20 acres off grid for 20 to 30K and put up a small pole barn structure on a concrete slab for another 20K and if you wanted to develop it with power, water septic etc. , probably another 15-20K and be all in for less than 75K.

No, Montana might be even better. I mentioned Colorado only because the tags are readily available. I think I am going to wait a few years when I hopefully have more free time. I did something similar in New England where I bought a plot of forest and built a small cabin with no electric or water. I use it as a hunting/recreational property. It's 6.5 hours from home, though, so I don't get up there nearly as much as I would like. I was there this past weekend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.