Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hey guys do you like the sako a7 roughtec h 308. Do you know if it has a threaded barrel? How is long range accuracy. Please give me the low down on this rifle for this elk season. Thanks

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Save your money and buy a plain SS A7. When you are tired of the stock put it in a mcmillan edge Sako 75 pattern. I have owned/own both and the plain a7 shoots much better and is much lighter . Both were chambered in 7 rem mag. I believe they offer a threaded barrel. What is long range to you?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Mine is a 270 Winchester, no problems with the rifle so far. Mine shoots under a inch at
100 yards. Don,t have access to a longer range. Mine has a fluted barrel, no threads.
I like my stock a lot, what ever it is. Got it on sale at Sportsmans , last September. The
only thing I don,t like is the magazine, hard to remove, you have to do 2 things at the
same time to remove it. Also they cost $85.00 which is way to much. Seems to have a
fast barrel.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Put talley mounts on mine. Some on Sako forum say scope mounts that come with
rifle loosen up after a while.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They are aluminum, do not know why Sako bothers to put them on . They tell you to pretty much replace them. I love the magazine design, I wish the Tikka T3 and T3x had the same system.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Don't buy Sako 85 actions. You will have ejection issues. Search the Internet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got the Roughtech Pro in 300 Win Mag and haven't had any problems. Accuracy is fine for hunting, magazine is no problem, no ejection problems. Have a Bushnell LRHS in medium Leupold PRW mounts and have killed 6 elk with it. It still has the aluminum weaver type bases and I plan to replace those with steel.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adams

Looks like his is asking about the Sako A7 not the 85. Search the OP.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My A7 Sako Roughtech has no ejection problems. I used the Talley medium height, one piece mounts. If
my life depended upon removing the magazine I,d probably die. Only rifle out of hundreds that I had trouble
removing magazine. Still I,m happy with the rifle, don,t shoot all 4 shells that often. I did buy the extra magazine.
Waiting for them to come out with one that holds more shells.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Please STFU if you don't know what you are talking about. This is not an 85 action

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Please STFU if you don't know what you are talking about. This is not an 85 action

🤣😂 It wasn’t me this time OE...I’m starting to really like you...😎 Mark

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🤣😂 It wasn’t me this time OE...I’m starting to really like you...😎 Mark

I am starting to worry now grin

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just bought this exact gun about two weeks ago (Roughtech Pro 308) and so far I'm totally and completely happy. Love the contouring of the stock, the palm swell and the texture. I mounted Talley's (Midway has them on sale to boot - search A Bolt Talleys) and a Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 boone & crocket reticle. I shot Hornady factory cartridges, 178 grain eldx. Rounds 10 - 15 had average mv of 2597 and were +/- 10 fps. With as slow as these are I can use the b&c reticle at 12x and have a better fov then can go up to 15x if I want to dial further than 500 yards, and my plan worked! The barrel is .1 inch larger diameter at the muzzle than my 24 inch Nosler m48 Liberty 300wsm but overall the rifle balances better and shoulders just as well. The stock is a particularly good fit for me and I really like it - much, much better than the Bell & Carlson on my Nosler.

Seems like a really well thought out hunting rifle and is very user friendly and so far, very accurate. I did order Atlasworx bottom metal, bolt handle and bolt shroud replacement parts but will otherwise leave the rifle alone and just shoot the piss out of it.

I had the action screws torqued to 35 inch lbs. and got a 3 & 2 group, reduced to 30 inch lbs and promptly shot the best 3 shot group of my life at .3 inches off a bipod and bag at 100 yards. It was a rare day where I had no issues, good weather, quiet solitude and an open schedule as wife was on kiddos duty. After my complex barrel break in procedure where I clean it during setup then just shoot it, I found that she zeroed up without any drama and I was blessed with five boxes of ammo, time on my side and plenty of targets to engage from 180 yards to about 450. You're damn right, I spent the day beaming with joy as rocks exploded and steel rang. If I can get out this week I'm going to see how she does out to about 700 yards and start working on longer range groups. I had zero issues with feeding or ejecting. I'd do 2 four shot engagements on various targets as if hunting and the barrel would get warm but not hot. I'd let it cool several minutes and repeat and didn't experience any notable poi shift - but I wasn't shooting at paper at this point so I couldn't say for sure to what degree there might have been some.

In the last 1.5 years I've had several rifles in and out of my personal possession with little regret for those sent down the road. Right away the Sako has become my favorite. I did formerly own a Tikka 7mm superlight a few years back and it was also a nice firearm. While there are similarities I do feel the premium paid for the A7 is worth it over the Tikka. Primarily in the aluminum chassis equipped resin stock vs a plastic stock with no palm swell. Additionally, you have a true short action vs a short action caliber in a long action. 10 twist in 308 for the a7 vs 11 twist Tikka, the recoil lug is a machined interface between the action and the chassis, not a piece of steel inserted, three lug bolt on the a7 vs 2, and the safety locks the bolt closed. Mine was sold to me for a used price of $900.00 but from my trusted FFL, the word was the rifle was unfired and that the consignor had traded into it. Inspection revealed that was probably the case. Brand new these are about $1,150.00 which isn't that far of a leap from $900 +/- for a new Tikka Superlight.

I've got pics but need to figure out how to shrink them so they can post here.

Last edited by CleverSlogan; 04/24/18.

Chop wood, carry water
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
On the Atlasworx bottom metal , a bit of caution, there should be 2 recesses milled into the rear of the magazine opening near the triggerguard. If that area does not look like OEM, contact Atlasworx. Don't ask how I know this. If the magazine is able to close completely let me know. Thanks

No qualms with the rifle other then the stock weighing 49 ounces. I purchased a mcmillan sako classic and the feel was night and day.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
On the Atlasworx bottom metal , a bit of caution, there should be 2 recesses milled into the rear of the magazine opening near the triggerguard. If that area does not look like OEM, contact Atlasworx. Don't ask how I know this. If the magazine is able to close completely let me know. Thanks

No qualms with the rifle other then the stock weighing 49 ounces. I purchased a mcmillan sako classic and the feel was night and day.

Will do, hadn't come across anything regarding the atlasworx bottom metal having magazine issues. Hope I don't because so far this has been the easiest gun I've ever had.

Chop wood, carry water
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Holy chit, I knew that stock had to be heavy. I almost bought one of these at Sportsman’s Warehouse last fall as they were on sale for $849 and I could not believe how heavy and clunky it felt in that B&C type stock. Never would have guessed 49 oz, that’s crazy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Holy chit, I knew that stock had to be heavy. I almost bought one of these at Sportsman’s Warehouse last fall as they were on sale for $849 and I could not believe how heavy and clunky it felt in that B&C type stock. Never would have guessed 49 oz, that’s crazy.

I could not believe it myself.. I love the rifle but the stock is awful. I bought the plain SS A7 and I like that synthetic more then the roughtech stock.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CleverSlogan

Will do, hadn't come across anything regarding the atlasworx bottom metal having magazine issues. Hope I don't because so far this has been the easiest gun I've ever had.

DId you get the atlasworx bottom metal ?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

No it hasn't arrived yet. I just happily clicked away then I realized Australia. Just ordered couple weeks ago, not sure how long the ride is.

Chop wood, carry water
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No it hasn't arrived yet. I just happily clicked away then I realized Australia. Just ordered couple weeks ago, not sure how long the ride is.

Should be here shortly. I was a guinea pig for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.