Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I purchased a Pelican double rifle case in order to have my custom build shipped to me. What are the pros/cons of cutting the foam to form fit the gun or not? This case will be doing some air travel.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have the Pelican 1750, have used it many times in air travel with two scopes hunting rifles. Definitely cut the foam; I used an electric carving knife.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can always order replacement foam inserts from Pelican if you want to re-configure in future.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have a Pelican 1750 and love it. I have found no need to cut the foam. It allows for different weapons and makes for a nice tight fit.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GF1
I have the Pelican 1750, have used it many times in air travel with two scopes hunting rifles. Definitely cut the foam; I used an electric carving knife.

This is the route I have gone as well. Been pleased so far, and it has logged some miles. I prefer to cut the top layer of foam as it prevents the rifles from shifting.

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by GF1

This is the route I have gone as well. Been pleased so far, and it has logged some miles. I prefer to cut the top layer of foam as it prevents the rifles from shifting.

That is exactly how I did it. And I use 4 pad locks on the outside that fit tight such that even if the latches break it stays snugly closed

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
As stated previously it is a world class item and I cut the foam for a perfect fit. Mine logged a lot of airline miles going to classes and the baggage apes couldn't break it. I pack my optics, range finder, GPS etc in their own little slots that are cut to fit w/ elec knife. I used a long skinny waterproof duffle for checked luggage which I would strap on the case to roll them through airports then use the duffle for range gear at the class. The wheels are bomproof and worth the price as are the reinforced lock brackets. A great investment.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you dedicate it to that rifle, cut the foam. If you don’t want to dedicate that case, or at least that piece of foam, the skb double case is much more flexible to accomodating whatever you put in there with no commitment to cut foam. Not being a smart ass, but in a similar situation once, thats what i switched to out of practicality.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't cut mine up. I took out a layer completely and replaced it with a soft case within my Pelican

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cut mine from the get-go and wouldn't have it any other way. Of course, many of my rifles are of reasonably similar configuration so with a little pressing and pushing of foam, I can make each one fit - even some larger scopes for which the foam wasn't originally cut.

You'd be surprised how much you can manipulate/stretch the foam to accommodate. But then again, I haven't tried to fit an AR in a 700 sporter cutout either. whistle

IIRC, I used a bread knife to cut the foam.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I started out just removing the middle layer of foam and packing the rifles in soft guncases. After the second trip where scopes came home broken, I did two things different.

A. Quit using Leupold scopes.

B. Cut the foam!

I actually made cardboard templates of the guns and glued them to the middle layer of foam and then cut around them with a hot wire foam cutter I got at Hobby Lobby.
Then glued the middle and bottom layers of foam together. Now the guns almost snap into place, won't shift and and after 8-10 African trips I haven't broken anymore scopes! And needless to say, the rifles have been fine too!
As a matter of fact, one 375 has made three round trips and I haven't even needed to adjust the scope!

Always assume that the baggage monkeys are going to actively try and destroy your stuff! Make it as hard as possible for them.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone used thir case for two scoped rifles without cutting the foam, and with all three layers in place. I hunt a number of different places and use different rifles in each place, so not cutting the foam and not having to buy and store a number of templates/cut foam cores would be a plus. Just wondering if the foam that comes with these cases is too dense to compress and hold the rifles in place, allowing them to slide around and bang into each other.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 04/25/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had the same 1750 for at least a decade. I have used it with foam cut, without, with two rifles, etc., etc.

One configuration I like is to completely take out the middle layer, put a rifle in, and surround it with clothes and gear. On at least one trip I was able to cut down my checked bags by one.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Has anyone used thir case for two scoped rifles without cutting the foam, and with all three layers in place.

Yes. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Has anyone used thir case for two scoped rifles without cutting the foam, and with all three layers in place. I hunt a number of different places and use different rifles in each place, so not cutting the foam and not having to buy and store a number of templates/cut foam cores would be a plus. Just wondering if the foam that comes with these cases is too dense to compress and hold the rifles in place, allowing them to slide around and bang into each other.

Don't overthink this.
Get your two longest barreled, biggest scoped rifles.
Arrange them opposing with maximum space between all sides and each other.
Take a sharpie and outline around them on the middle piece of foam.
Take an electric knife and cut on the INSIDE of the trace.
Now, those two rifles, and every other rifle, with shorter barrel, smaller scope, twin tubes, etc. will fit.
Might not work with ARs, but it will with everything else.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We have 3 of the Pelican 1750 cases at work that we ship oil and gas sample cylinders in. We load them up heavy and they are still holding together after 14 years of hard service.We had the middle section cut to fit the cylinders but over time the foam tears up.If the foam was done like AKwolverine above said hauling rifles you would be unlikely to ever wear the case out and the rifles would be well protected. We use pelican cases for protecting all kinds of equipment in all shapes and sizes and they work under hard wet dirty conditions. I am unaware of us ever wearing one out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome, thanks for the info and advice guys.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.