Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm with ya Randy almost all the time. If I have a rifle, I don't often have a handgun on me. Wife almost never carries a rifle but has 16 rounds of 10mm handy on a chest holster at all times.

Works for us.

Now when fishing, I tend to carry a large handgun instead of a long gun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to believe that this thread has gone so long. To the OP, just buy an "Alaskan" (.338WM) and learn to shoot it. Otherwise a .416 and learn to shoot it like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7goTNi9yJQ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I just can't bring myself to carry a handgun when I've got a rifle in my hands. Wimpy I guess, but just hate the extra weight and volume. Know lots of folks that handgun is on their AMEX list, but not for me.

guess I should admit I do sometimes carry a lil airweight snubnose .22 with CT laser grips, hate to turn down good eating grouse

Uhhhh... my Airweight does not have CT grips because you are not allowed to shoot grouse or other game with them...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, I've never shot a grouse with one, only shotguns, but I see folks shoot em with 22 rifles all the time while we are moose hunting. Guess I'll have to read the regs, I'd have been guilty at some point having not read this post.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Wow, I've never shot a grouse with one, only shotguns, but I see folks shoot em with 22 rifles all the time while we are moose hunting. Guess I'll have to read the regs, I'd have been guilty at some point having not read this post.

Any aiming device that projects a dot is illegal for hunting. 22lr is just fine. Seems there may have been some confusion?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ray
Hard to believe that this thread has gone so long. To the OP, just buy an "Alaskan" (.338WM) and learn to shoot it. Otherwise a .416 and learn to shoot it like this guy:

What a great catch.!!!

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Originally Posted by KenB
I’m also another lived and hunted in Alaska, 4 years.
Honestly it really depends on your hunt.
Sheep 7mm mag, distance is king
Caribou 30-06, 7mm
Blackbear 30-06
Moose 300 win mag up to 416 Rigby
Grizzly, 338 win mag to 500

Always carry a 44mag side arm. No longer than a 6” barrel. Overly combersome sidearms will not be useful in a charging bear situation.

I carried a 338 WinMag browning stainless stalker as my main rifle. It was a heavy round and you could’t take those really long shots. 200yrds was the longest I would consider shooting with it. Also my side arm was a SW 629 classic with a non-fluted barrel.

The 30-06 is a great rifle and round but some bigger game just doesn’t stop even with a well placed shot. Also a double lung moose shot with an 06 can still mean 300-500 yrds tracking into some of the worst bush ever. Keep in mind post shot tracking that can become a major issue.

Sorry KenB, but there’s a whole lot in this post that simply leaves me scratching my head. Just............wow. 🙄

Wow is right!!

Last edited by yukon254; 05/05/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Any aiming device that projects a dot is illegal for hunting. 22lr is just fine. Seems there may have been some confusion?

My bad, sry for the confusion. Mine has off/on switch on bottom Potting grouse with iron sights it works fine, but squirrels up a tree around our cabin turns it into a lot more useful tool for that application. Course after cutting all the big spruce down around our cabin they’re not as much of a problem as they were. Even though it’s more expensive I’ve pretty well gone blueboard for insulating needs around our cabins. Fiberglass + squirrels is bad juju ime

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

10-4. got it. Same stupid rule TX had in effect for a while until they realized what they had done....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Maybe in another few years he will learn how to shoot !

Hey, in Ken’s defense, and with some embarrassment in my admission, I’ve had to “track” a couple of moose that were lung-shot and were a bit difficult to find. Not because they went anywhere after being shot however. (Maybe I need to do a better job of spotting their location before I knock ‘em over, huh? 😏)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/06/18.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Ray

What a great catch.!!!

The poor guy shot that .416 almost handheld like a shotgun with pistol grip smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by 458Win
Maybe in another few years he will learn how to shoot !

Hey, in Ken’s defense, and with some embarrassment in my admission, I’ve had to “track” a couple of moose that were lung-shot and were a bit difficult to find. Not because they went anywhere after being shot however. (Maybe I need to do a better job of spotting their location before I knock ‘em over, huh? 😏)

A lot of guys think they are aiming for a high lung shot and manage to hit the top spinal processes , that often drops the moose immediately but when they do get up they don't hang around and will cover a lot of territory quickly !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I sure wish folks that shoot ANY animal would do the research, to see where vitals are compared to bones, blood paths, organs, hide/hair etc....

Vitals are NOT situated fairly IMHO. If that makes sense. IE to high forward not good, so lets stay lower, but not to far back if thats the case. Almost to the point of being an oval flopped in at an angle...

I have never had a use for high shoulder shots personally. but thats just me. I tend to center vitals, or go big CNS hits. IE the brain. When I"m forced to think break bones along the way I have to rethink where I'm aiming too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To their credit (and ease of demise), moose are pretty darned easy to poke properly (except when one intentionally takes dumb shots on them - as Phil noted). And mostly they just stand around if you 'did' them well enough. I've only lost my place a few times when they tipped over so quick that I figured wrong. There's nothing like "embarrassing elation" at wandering around in the thick stuff only to find a big dark behemoth lying right where he stood or ambled when the gun recoiled. Seems a bit odd to have to track an animal that size in the last tracks he made before the shot.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To their credit (and ease of demise), moose are pretty darned easy to poke properly (except when one intentionally takes dumb shots on them - as Phil noted). And mostly they just stand around if you 'did' them well enough. I've only lost my place a few times when they tipped over so quick that I figured wrong. There's nothing like "embarrassing elation" at wandering around in the thick stuff only to find a big dark behemoth lying right where he stood or ambled when the gun recoiled. Seems a bit odd to have to track an animal that size in the last tracks he made before the shot.

And tracks are very difficult to find sometimes in the thick moss. In the areas I hunt on the Elliott Highway, after the shot I have to stay put memorizing the spot where the moose stood, and from there direct my hunting friends to the spot. It's amazing how a downed moose can blend with the low growth from mid to the end of September. If you shoot it in an open area, then there is no trouble see in it. I have been lucky to kill my moose early in the day, except for one. These hunting areas are on a ridge overlooking Old Minto, so there is still plenty of daylight to perhaps 9:30PM just before mid September. This evening I shot a moose around 9:00, in it took one of my friends about 45 minutes to find it, but we were very lucky because by then it was getting dark. On my directions he rode his ATV upon the train about 300 yards, parked the machine, walked about 30 yards into the birch thicket (away from the trail), and then walked in my direction as he listened to my voice (we could not see each other). The funny thing is that we could have used flashlights to show out positions, but both of us forgot about them in the backpacks. Anyway, we never leave a moose out there though the night, so we worked on it until hauling the meat to the campsite about 4:00AM. But this area has been getting crowded lately, and even some hunters from Anchorage come up to it. I have been enjoying more time at the campsite for the past two years smile

Last edited by Ray; 05/08/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually I think more folks should memorize the last location and the location of the shot before moving. It sure can make life easier.

I've said it before that we've used rangefinders even.... and they sure can help too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually I think more folks should memorize the last location and the location of the shot before moving.

I can't imagine not doing that. That said, trying to memorize what it will look like from 90, 150, or 180 degrees which is often the approach angle is often confounding. ("He was standing in the only grassy patch in that willow thicket" ...until you get down there and discover grassy patches among the multitude of willow thickets. smirk ) Looking back for a good visual on what the position the shot was taken from can be real handy too.

There's nothing like walking into the grass patch, seeing it is much bigger than it looked, and finding that the grass is 2-3 feet taller than it looked and covering knee deep tussocks to make one second guess whether a moose with both shoulder broken might actually get up and wander off. laugh

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Actually I think more folks should memorize the last location and the location of the shot before moving.

I can't imagine not doing that. That said, trying to memorize what it will look like from 90, 150, or 180 degrees which is often the approach angle is often confounding. ("He was standing in the only grassy patch in that willow thicket" ...until you get down there and discover grassy patches among the multitude of willow thickets. smirk ) Looking back for a good visual on what the position the shot was taken from can be real handy too.

There's nothing like walking into the grass patch, seeing it is much bigger than it looked, and finding that the grass is 2-3 feet taller than it looked and covering knee deep tussocks to make one second guess whether a moose with both shoulder broken might actually get up and wander off. laugh

Indeed. It's amazing how the view changes from different perspectives. Likewise as the sun and shadows move. That's especially true in the woods and thickets. Also noteworthy is how many seemingly very unique trees have multiple twins running around. Always good to check your back trail as you make your way in.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Indeed. It's amazing how the view changes from different perspectives. Likewise as the sun and shadows move. That's especially true in the woods and thickets. Also noteworthy is how many seemingly very unique trees have multiple twins running around. Always good to check your back trail as you make your way in.

Could not have said it better. It's so easy to go in to lose the way back. I remember one time that I manage to ride my ATV into the area where the moose should have been, then walked around looking for it and found it. But I was lucky that a friend of mine was with me (he has a lot of experience tracking moose), who pointed to me the direction I should take to find the 4-wheeler. Nowadays I mark the trail in with surveyors tape smile

Last edited by Ray; 05/09/18.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Could not have said it better. It's so easy to go in to lose the way back. I remember one time that I manage to ride my ATV into the area where the moose should have been, then walked around looking for it and found it. But I was lucky that a friend of mine was with me (he has a lot of experience tracking moose), who pointed to me the direction I should take to find the 4-wheeler. Nowadays I mark the trail in with surveyors tape smile

Just carry a compass and do a reverse bearing whenever you are going into unfamiliar country

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

731 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 84 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.