Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
With only one scope bearing the NX8 moniker, I've got a feeling theres more to come, surely they will expand the desirable 30mm tube 8x erector. The current 1-8x24 specs are perfect and make me want to try a 24mm.

FFP, low profile capped windage, zero stop, FC reticle looks very functional for hunting.

Formi, how handicap is 24mm in low light hunting situations? Have you handled 1-8x24? Any word on future models?

Dang I think this little dude would be sweet on the Fieldcraft.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-1-8x24-f1

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is an interesting scope. I'd read where the illumination was daylight visible and asked Formi about how low it would go at last light to avoid washing out the image and he felt it was good at the low settings.

I'm still a fan of a simple heavier reticle with posts coming closer to the center as much of my use will be in thick stuff. I'm liking NF's forceplex and wish it was available in the 2.5-10 NSX with illuminated center....lighted forceplex in this one would likely get a purchase from me.

Interested to see what size/power config they come out with next in this line.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
CT, two more ounces gets you a NXS 2.5-10 x 32. I picked one up for my 6 Creed Model 7. I think it will be skookum. Just need time to get out and do some shooting with it.

Still, this should be a great little scope.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob, things I prefer with the NX8 over the NXS 32MM.

FFP
Reticle
Capped Windage.
8x Erector
Not Discontinued, can buy off the shelf.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The NX8 as a package is a bad beeeech.... For any use where 1x is as, or more important than 8x, it is untouched by any other scope except for its bigger brother.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For dangerous game or thick woods shooting- absolutely. For general hunting, the view is going to be relatively dark at 8x because of the small objective. It’s usable, and the glass is quite good though.

As for more scopes in the line..... y’all have to understand that NF will not realease anything without nearly least two years of testing and evaluation from select end users AFTER a design is finalized. I had the NX8 and ATACR in my hands a year and a half ago......

IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice! So I have to assume you are either being tight lipped or have not seen any future models.

At the ever popular 6x the exit pupil is 4mm. Definitely not ideal for low light, but probably serviceable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith

At the ever popular 6x the exit pupil is 4mm. Definitely not ideal for low light, but probably serviceable.

That was my thought....

NF needs a pass around program (grin). I can read subtensions on paper well enough but it ain't the same as looking through one...better yet, getting to use one.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I know this. After using many and still owning some large objective low light binoculars, I got tired of carrying around the bulk and weight and took the 8x32 Lecias to the deer stand one day. I've never used another bino since. The exit pupil is 4MM. I've not once wished for more. Will never carry anything more than 8x32s for general hunting use.

This really has me thinking the 6x 4mm exit pupil may actually work out like the 8x32 binos. I may have to be the guinea pig.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It’s pretty solid at 5-6x’ish. If that will work for your use, I think you’ll dig it. I have been trying to convince myself to use it on a bolt gun for a while.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

That was my thought....

NF needs a pass around program (grin). I can read subtensions on paper well enough but it ain't the same as looking through one...better yet, getting to use one.

Where are you located?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Form, is there any restriction on where you place the front ring in relation to the objective lens?

I am ordering one of the mil/mil versions for my 375 M70 and I am trying to decide if I can get by with QRW bases, or if I will need a rail to get proper ring placement.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
AL

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
AL

Me too if you want to share the love.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
It’s pretty solid at 5-6x’ish. If that will work for your use, I think you’ll dig it. I have been trying to convince myself to use it on a bolt gun for a while.

When I was thinking on one, I read a couple of reviews from guys who used Frank Proctor's and they thought the scope was stretching it for use on 8x. One even said if you were gonna use it as a 1-6 it would be fine but if you wanted the 1-8 spring for the ATACR. Sound about right?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bob, things I prefer with the NX8 over the NXS 32MM.

FFP
Reticle
Capped Windage.
8x Erector
Not Discontinued, can buy off the shelf.

All good points. I read what you write very carefully. You’re always on the money and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TWR

When I was thinking on one, I read a couple of reviews from guys who used Frank Proctor's and they thought the scope was stretching it for use on 8x. One even said if you were gonna use it as a 1-6 it would be fine but if you wanted the 1-8 spring for the ATACR. Sound about right?

No. And yes. The whole use of a LPV is that 1x is more important than high power, but at times you need a bit of magnification though not at the at expense of close rangespeed. On an M4 close range speed is 70-80% of the task, medium range target ID and targeting is the reminder. Low power must be as close to 1x, with as wide a field of view as possible, and with a reticle that works. High power needs to be usable- that’s all. Even the ATACR isn’t as “nice” at 8x as say the 2.5-10x is on 8x. It’s a give and take. If I planned to, or need to be on more than 1x the majority of time, then the 2.-5-10x, 3-9x, 3-12x, etc come out with an offset red dot.

For what a 1-8x is most used for, I actually prefer the NX8.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds like I need to scratch the idea of it on a hunting rifle but now I want one for the AR.

Maybe NF will some day do the ATACR 4-16x42 in a lighter 30MM tube, but thats probably dreaming.

Or take the current NXS 2.5-10x42, make it FFP, cap the windage, and make the illumination/parallax knob low profile.

As it is, like always, I fall back on the LRHS (which ironically is discontinued).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sounds like I need to scratch the idea of it on a hunting rifle but now I want one for the AR.

Maybe NF will some day do the ATACR 4-16x42 in a lighter 30MM tube, but thats probably dreaming.

Or take the current NXS 2.5-10x42, make it FFP, cap the windage, and make the illumination/parallax knob low profile.

As it is, like always, I fall back on the LRHS (which ironically is discontinued).

Yes, Form put it in perspective with "If I planned to, or need to be on more than 1x the majority of time.....". I live between 4x and 6x for 90% of my use. 1 out of every 10 I'll have to dial and don't mind having more x's then.

There is a lot I like about the 2.5-10. It's a little finicky regarding parallax setting but it can be worked around. The open/thin reticles are my biggest complaint but much of that is related to hunting thick woods and my preference. Open areas and at distance they are great but slower to find in thick stuff. The reticles NF uses are made with a bias towards open/longer shots which is understandable. A lighted Forceplex in the 2.5-10 would be my request....and I asked about that but NF won't make that change to a 2.5-10.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Yes, Form put it in perspective with "If I planned to, or need to be on more than 1x the majority of time.....".

Exactly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've been hoping on the 30mm tubed atacr for awhile myself. That would be a hard hunting scope to beat imo.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.