-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"This is the 50,000 watt Clear Channel Voice of the Middle West WHO, Des Moines"

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could pick up WHO all the way up in northern Minnesota, and KOMA up in central Iowa on dark, clear nights.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by HitnRun
KOMA Oklahoma City.

In high school in Lander WY in the 50's we cruised around at night with a case of Coors listening to KOMA. There was another one in Del Rio TX , cant remember the call letters, I think their transmitter was in Mexico and really boomed out there.

That was probably John R Brinkley's border blaster.

The Mexican government, eager to get even with its northern neighbors for dividing up North America's radio frequencies without giving any to Mexico, granted Brinkley a 50,000-watt radio license and construction began on XER-AM, his new "border blaster" across the bridge from Del Rio in Villa Acuña, Coahuila (since renamed Ciudad Acuña).[14] As construction got underway, Fishbein and the U.S. State Department desperately searched for a way to shut Brinkley down. Under heavy pressure from the State Department, the Mexican government halted construction on XER-AM, but it was only temporary. Within weeks, construction resumed and soon two 300-foot (91 m) towers reached into the sky.[45] XER, at 840 kilohertz on the AM dial, radiated by a sky wave antenna, made its first broadcast in October 1931. Brinkley called it the "Sunshine Station Between the Nations".

Brinkley used his new border blaster to resume his campaign for governor by using the telephone to call in his broadcasts to the transmitter. This approach did not work, and he lost yet another political campaign; he would lose again in 1934. Though Brinkley's American radio license had been revoked, XER's signal was so strong that it could still be heard in Kansas.[46] In 1932, the Mexican government allowed Brinkley to increase his wattage to 150,000 watts. Several months later, Brinkley was allowed to increase to one million watts, "making XER far and away the most powerful radio station on the planet" that, on a clear night, could be heard as far away as Canada. According to accounts of the time, the signal was so strong that it turned on car headlights, made bedsprings hum, and caused broadcasts to bleed into telephone conversations.[47] Local residents didn't even need a radio to hear Brinkley's station; ranchers reported that they received it through their metal fences and in their dental appliances.[48]

goat gland doctor john brinkley from milford kansas

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember KOMA and there was another out of IIRC El Paso but I do not remember the Call sign. Had Wolfman Jack.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wasn’t the one in Del Rio the one that had the preacher that if you sent him $5 he’d send you a plastic dashboard Jesus with “glowing eyes" that would follow you anywhere in the dark??? laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Use to travel up and down the east coast, from Boston as far south as Georgia on a regular
basis when I was in college...

VW Squareback with an AM Radio and an 8 track under the dash...

Would run that route at night...could listen to the radio just like I was in town...

WKBW out of Buffalo NY...

WOWO out of Ft Wayne Ind...

WLS out of Chicago...

and far enough south, or going into Florida... A Station out of New Orleans...
can't remember those call letters...

The first three stations could cover me from the Canadian border all the way down
to Atlanta GA...with no reception issues..

as I recall they were not 50,000 watt stations, they were 100,000 watt stations..

use to live in MN and WCCO out of Mpls sure had a long range coverage out in the Dakotas
Saskatchewan and Manitoba, even parts of Alberta, and eastern Montana...

My travels in college also took me up to the Maritime Provinces in eastern Canada...two stations
out of Boston could be picked up along the eastern coast of Maine, and then all thru New Brunswick
Nova Scota, PEI...Newfoundland...Both WRKO and WMEX out of Boston would instead turn their
signal out to sea and up the coast... so you couldn't get it 30 miles west of Boston, but you could
pick it up 800 miles up in Nova Scotia... and Newfoundland...

Girlfriend of mine went to Ireland to spend the summer with her grandmother on year, and she
said she picked up the Boston Stations on the coast of Ireland at night, when the single was turned out
to sea...

Most of Ontario and Quebec, I could pick up WBZ out of Boston at night...

When I was traveling long distances with a car that had an AM Radio, that is why I use to do my
travels at night....the long distance radio stations you could pick up at night, and they were clear
as a bell....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wait that was Reverend Billy Sol Hargis!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I remember the Reverend very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While at school at Lexington, Mo. I'd listen to WEAM in Omaha. at night.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another long distance radio thing...

I've been up in the Coastal Mountains here in Oregon
during Elk hunting season...staying over night for several days.

I'm up on mountain tops, camping out with my 4 Runner...
at 4,000 feet plus, and close to to the coast...

Turn on the AM radio at night, at that elevation...I can not
move the dial from one spot to another without picking up another
radio station from up and down the entire Pacific Coast...

From way up in Alaska, to down to Mexico... stations out of Canada
and then stuff out of Salt Lake, plenty of California, Arizona, Nevada
Idaho, Washington...Hawaii

at night and up at that altitude, with no interference for the signal.. there is no
dead spot from one end of the AM dial to the other....

Same thing with the CB radio.. picked up guys who claim they were located in the
Philippines, besides much of the western USA and Canada...Mexico also, but
I don't Habla, so can't talk to them...

Fun stuff...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KSL (Salt Lake) and KGO (San Fransisco).

Carpe' Scrotum
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by HitnRun
KOMA Oklahoma City.

In high school in Lander WY in the 50's we cruised around at night with a case of Coors listening to KOMA. There was another one in Del Rio TX , cant remember the call letters, I think their transmitter was in Mexico and really boomed out there.

That was probably John R Brinkley's border blaster.

The Mexican government, eager to get even with its northern neighbors for dividing up North America's radio frequencies without giving any to Mexico, granted Brinkley a 50,000-watt radio license and construction began on XER-AM, his new "border blaster" across the bridge from Del Rio in Villa Acuña, Coahuila (since renamed Ciudad Acuña).[14] As construction got underway, Fishbein and the U.S. State Department desperately searched for a way to shut Brinkley down. Under heavy pressure from the State Department, the Mexican government halted construction on XER-AM, but it was only temporary. Within weeks, construction resumed and soon two 300-foot (91 m) towers reached into the sky.[45] XER, at 840 kilohertz on the AM dial, radiated by a sky wave antenna, made its first broadcast in October 1931. Brinkley called it the "Sunshine Station Between the Nations".

Brinkley used his new border blaster to resume his campaign for governor by using the telephone to call in his broadcasts to the transmitter. This approach did not work, and he lost yet another political campaign; he would lose again in 1934. Though Brinkley's American radio license had been revoked, XER's signal was so strong that it could still be heard in Kansas.[46] In 1932, the Mexican government allowed Brinkley to increase his wattage to 150,000 watts. Several months later, Brinkley was allowed to increase to one million watts, "making XER far and away the most powerful radio station on the planet" that, on a clear night, could be heard as far away as Canada. According to accounts of the time, the signal was so strong that it turned on car headlights, made bedsprings hum, and caused broadcasts to bleed into telephone conversations.[47] Local residents didn't even need a radio to hear Brinkley's station; ranchers reported that they received it through their metal fences and in their dental appliances.[48]

goat gland doctor john brinkley from milford kansas

that's a very interesting up date.

have heard of more than one pirate ship located just outside the 12 mile boundary, aiming their broadcast antenna at a certain market area. if the coast guard wasn't in the solution, then the navy would engage the discussion.

back in those days, the FCC did dictate what was and what wasn't in the way of legitimate transmissions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WHO all the rime, KOMA on any given night, WLS at times.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
KJNP - King Jesus North Pole

outta North Pole, AK with an asymmetrical broadcast antenna so the signal goes over the pole to the commies.

Musta worked. I think all the Russians are Christians now.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
KOMA, KSL, & KTWO out of Casper

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KNX in LA, and KBOI boise.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Forgot KNX

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WCCO

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Wasn’t the one in Del Rio the one that had the preacher that if you sent him $5 he’d send you a plastic dashboard Jesus with “glowing eyes" that would follow you anywhere in the dark??? laugh

I don't care if it rains or freezes, as long as I got my plastic Jesus.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus
r wolfman jack.

Wolfman Jack was legend around these parts.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 3,386 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,748
Posts18,535,465
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.