Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I’ll probably shoot er Tuesday, I’ll letcha know how she does varmint....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Judman: That is a handsome "modern" looking Rifle you put together there!
I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
My Ruger American is perking up a little - on occasion I can get the safety off with one thumb and on occasion I can get the empty magazine out in under 5 seconds.
I have been on Varmint Safari for the last 3 days (plus a morning Hunt today) and the Ruger American is still performing very well accuracy wise.
Feeding and extraction/ejection have been flawless.

Beaver10: One of my friends has been shooting the A17 ammunition through his bolt action CZ 17 HMR and he is very happy with it so far, this young season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG, we’re just getting started...I do love turning them suckers inside out...It’s an illness with no cure...😎

Jud, did good, didn’t he...That little set up will inflict fatalities out to 200 yards with NO wind. Your “Hold into the Wind” is so true when flinging small, lightweight 17 grainiers. I was shooting in 15-20 mile winds and pulling 1 to 2 dogs left and right at times to make hits. Good fun and practice. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Varmintguy, just got mine dialed. She’s a shootin sumbitch, flawless function actually like the tasco. Good little budget rat rifle.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Beaver10: For the past several decades I have been tying a doubled 4 foot length of bright red yarn onto my VarmintMobiles radio antenna each spring and I am finally getting pretty good at watching it and transposing the degree and direction the wind is pushing that yarn into first round hits (during WINDY times) out to 125 yards or so - beyond that I give up and pay very strict attention to first shot bullet impact on the ground besides the Colony Varmints I am Hunting. Then I transfer that observation to "hold into" windage.
Rimfires are fun but sometimes frustrating when the crosswind is 8 - 10 M.P.H. and above.

Judman: Hosted two more Washingtonians late last week for Ground Squirreling and late the first day the afternoon thunderstorm/squalls came up (winds at 12 to 18 M.P.H.) and one of them declared he had to hold four body widths of the Sage Rat (standing body widths) at 90 yards with his 17 HMR to hit a standing Gopher!
By the way this fellow bought (for $428.00 - no sales tax) while he was here, a brand new Ruger American Rimfire Target with ambidexterous laminated thumbhole stock from my local pawn/sport shop. It is in caliber 22 L.R. and is identical (except for the stock) in barrel length and features to our Target 17 HMR's. He already has a R.A.R Target in 17 HMR.
No chance while they were here to get the new Rifle "on-line" but he promised to share range results once he gets back to Yelm, Washington.
I am just living with the "sticky" magazine release operation of my Target and the safety is slowly improving in energy needed to engage and disengage.
The 6x18 Leupold I have on my R.A.R. 17 HMR Target is just "Bonzai" for Gopher Hunting!

I think Ruger has a winner with this relatively new Target model R.A.R. in 17 HMR, 22 Magnum and 22 L.R.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I am trying to enclose a link to the spiffy looking new Ruger American Rimfire Target with thumbhole stock.

Link: https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8360.html

Hope it works.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The link works for me and I took the time to read the particulars and no mention of this model being offered in 17 HMR or 22 Magnum?
Interestingly the stock is replete with "bedding block system".
I am not sure if my 17 HMR with standard laminated stock has a bedding block system or not - shoots great though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Breaking her in on starlings. Funner than a shotgun.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am trying to enclose a link to the spiffy looking new Ruger American Rimfire Target with thumbhole stock.

Link: https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8360.html

Hope it works.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

that DOES look spiffy.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Judman: The starlings just last week returned here to the high country in SW Montana.
I wonder how many millions of these little poopers and nest robbers there are in America now?
I try to shoot my share but they are "slippery" - I think I got 40 or so last year. Better get started again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
N8dawg6: I took my left handed friend to the local gunshop/pawnshop last week where they had ONE of these Rifles and I showed it to him - he threw it up to his left shoulder looked at it for 5 seconds and laid it down on the counter and got out his wallet!
Just that quick, he bought it.
Of course he is from "taxington" (Washington state) and his purchase of this Rifle here instead of back in taxington saved him $40.00 and change in sales tax (no sales tax in Montana) - so that is another selling point (prompter!) for my friend!
I am assuming that the folks at Ruger will most likely offer this model in 17 HMR and 22 Magnum in the future - but I don't know for sure.
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Judman: The starlings just last week returned here to the high country in SW Montana.
I wonder how many millions of these little poopers and nest robbers there are in America now?
I try to shoot my share but they are "slippery" - I think I got 40 or so last year. Better get started again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My brother and I killed a small truckload of those in the last century. He even popped one with his AMT Hardballer. They're not as common as they were in years past. I suspect that like crows, their habit of nesting in big flocks makes them easy targets for West Nile virus.

Don't think they eat eggs or nestlings, but they eat tons of insects, and clean my feeder out in short order. My main beef with them used to be that they took over my martin gourds, but the new ones have doors they can't fit through, so now I have English Sparrows instead.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I love mine in 22 LR. Haven't had any issues with it at all.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Wuthrich10

Nice shooting
If you have not done so already, you NEED to try some of the SK Jagd Standard Plus (Black and yellow box) anmo in your rifle
In my American sporter groups were about half that size ( 1 moa)

That ammo has also shot superbly in a half dozen other 22LR rifles I own..Its good stuff.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Originally Posted by jk16

Nice shooting
If you have not done so already, you NEED to try some of the SK Jagd Standard Plus (Black and yellow box) anmo in your rifle

That ammo has also shot superbly in a half dozen other 22LR rifles I own..Its good stuff.

That's one I haven't tried, Ill give it a try. Thanks!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by jk16

Nice shooting

That's one I haven't tried, Ill give it a try. Thanks!

It's yhe same load that Wokf used to sell as Wolf match Target.
It runs $5 to $6 per $50 but if you chevk around online you can find it for $50 per brick.
You usually have to go to ammo costing $10+ to get better groups.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 222Sako, 219DW, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.