Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by yukon254
An interesting bit of information that says a lot about this conversation, is our bison hunt. In all their wisdom our Fish and Game officials decided to put a minimum caliber requirement on our bison hunt. The minimum allowed is a 180 grain, 30 caliber bullet @ 2800 ft/lbs. The 30/06 is the baseline. Of course hunters read this and think bigger is better. Bison hunting is really popular here now that we have a general season on them. Our local gun store sells more 375s and larger calibers than anything. Well guess what happened? Fish and Game now say that a full 50% of the bison killed have been wounded in the past. Its such a problem that now one of the questions on the mandatory kill report is if your bison had any old wounds. I've killed four bison since they opened the season, three of them with a 338 Federal. One was taken at 300 yards. I didnt need more power, none went more than 20-yards, and I can tell you a bison is a big tough animal. They have thick hide and big bones, far tougher in that respect than any native big game animal up here and that includes bears.

ADF&G is still stuck on bullet weight and 100 yd energy numbers.

Weapons Legal for Bison Hunting

Bison may be shot with any centerfire rifle, handgun, muzzleloading rifle, bow-and-arrow or crossbow that meet the criteria listed below:
Successful bison hunter with harvested bison

Rifle/handgun: must fire a 200 grain or larger bullet, which retains at least 2000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards. A .30-06 with a 220 grain bullet is about the minimal weapon that meets this specification.
Muzzleloader: muzzle-loading rifles must be .54 caliber or larger, or at least .45 caliber with a 300 grain or larger elongated slug. Further, for safety reasons, those hunting with muzzleloaders must also have within easy reach a smokeless powder rifle meeting the centerfire rifle requirements listed above.
Black Powder cartridge rifles: must fire a 400 grain bullet or larger loaded with a minimum of 70 grains of black powder or equivalent (.45-70 with a 400 grain bullet or a .44-90 with a 550 grain bullet).
Not Legal — .45-70 loaded with 55 grains of black powder, or a .45-70 with a 330 grain bullet.
Bow: longbows, recurve bows, or compound bows are permitted, but they must have a peak draw weight of 50 pounds or more. Arrows must be at least 20 inches in overall length, and tipped with unbarbed, fixed or replaceable-blade type broadheads. Arrow and broadhead together must weigh at least 300 grains total weight. ADF&G strongly recommends that bowhunters have a rifle close at hand.
Crossbow: must have at least 100 lbs. peak draw weight and at least 14 in draw length. The bolt must be 16 or more inches in length, tipped with unbarbed fixed, replaceable or mechanical/retractable blade. The bolt and blade together must weigh a total of 300 grains or more.
— No electronic devices may be attached to the crossbow.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=deltabison.weaponslegalhunting

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Phoneman
Ive never been to Africa or Alaska. I do love a 375 H&H and the 45/70's. Have several of both. I figured if I was going to build a do all rifle a 375 would be a good base. I have a classic stainless 375 with zeiss 3-9x40 with talley QR rings. I just have to get the barrel chopped to 20". It will do everything I will ever need if I ever get to make those trips. I love shooting my no 1's and leverguns more, but if I had to pick only one for everything, the m70 would prob be my pick, followed by my marlin stainless guide gun.

In the interior of Alaska we have different kinds of terrain. For example, caribou are usually found in very wide open ground of low growth (or tundra, so called by a lot of folks up here). In these areas one often has to do a lot of walking, and long shots are very possible. If hunting caribou, I prefer to use a lighter than my .338 rifles (these weight around 8 pounds), such as a lightweight .270, 7mm-08, .308. During moose season I hunt in areas where the shots could be from 50 yards to 300 (the latter is may self imposed limit), and in here I use a .338WM rifle. A friend of mine uses a .45-70, but for some reason he has developed the knack of calling moose close-by smile

However if you can ride an ATV into the open areas of the interior on Alaska, then it does not matter how heavy the rifle may be, although BLM has all kinds of rules about motorized vehicles in some real good caribou migration routes (Denali Highway area, for example). But up by the Steese one can ride ATVs in several areas.

Last edited by Ray; 04/25/18.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Wouldn't surprise me if much of the wounding has to do with lack of familiarity with bison anatomy. As for the four kills, many Native people tend to hunt close and aim for non-typical places - ear or neck rather than the lungs/chest, (ruins less meat.)

Very possible for sure. A few years ago our Fish Game did a test. They were finding a lot of dead caribou up on the Dempster Highway after the season closed. The Porcupine herd migrates right across the the road up there so it is a popular spot for guys to go. Plus they can take two animals. Anyway Fish and Game set up a life-size caribou target at their check station. The test was set up so you first had to estimate the range to the target, write it down, then shoot the target. Participation was voluntary, but they had a brand new set of high dollar binoculars they were giving as an incentive to the hunter that scored the best by the end of the season.

The results were dismal, both in range estimation and lethal shots on the target. I've always been of the opinion that most guys simply dont shoot enough. You're not going to become even a decent shot by only shooting a few rounds right before the season.

Thats one reason the old timers killed so much stuff with calibers that many today consider inadequate. They were shooters and they knew their rifles because they shot them often. An old Cree indian guy worked for my dad on the ranch for many years and all he carried was a beat up old 30/30. I've seen him make shots that most wouldnt believe, including a measured 300 yard shot on a grizzly that had killed one of our cows. He took the shot off hand just as the bear turned towards us. He hit that bear right at the base of the neck and she dropped like a stone. It wasn't luck either because I saw him make similar shots more than once.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Beware the man with one gun...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender

Because he spent the rest of his money on whiskey and women?

(Notice I didn't say wasted!)

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by ironbender

Because he spent the rest of his money on whiskey and women?

(Notice I didn't say wasted!)

laugh

M
M
I’ve hunted in Alaska twice, once for Dall Sheep and once for a caribou. Both fell to a 280 Remington pushing 160 Nosler Partitions hot. Both died in their tracks, the sheep then decided to roll down a rocky ridge 200 yards.
I’m schedueld for a moose hunt in September this fall during the rut, and I’m going to be carrying a custom 338-06 Ackely improved that pushes a 210 Nosler Partition out a 2,850. It’s been the center piece of the action on nine bull elk harvests; only one went beyond 20 yards after the shot. Two flipped over, four feet up. In conversations with my outfitter he says it should handle moose well, and I’m confident it will. Yes, it requires handloads, but I’m well stocked and well prepared. I’m not saying that this cartridge is the best for Alaska, but I’m confident it will do anything someone wants to use it on in the land of Enchandment.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A .458 Winchester handloaded with 350gn TSX bullets make a great .375 load while maintaining .458 caliber for those that use recoil as the excuse not to step up to the best caliber for dangerous game.

A 300gn .375 bullet is good but a 350gn .458 bullet at the same speed is damn good.

This makes a lot of sense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter Tia has a 7 1/2 # M70 in 416 Rem that she uses for virtually everything. She had it loaded with 300 gr X bullets ans used it last year to take a Dall sheep.
With lighter bullets the bigger calibers can be pretty versatile.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Muley_Crazy
I’ve hunted in Alaska twice, once for Dall Sheep and once for a caribou. Both fell to a 280 Remington pushing 160 Nosler Partitions hot. Both died in their tracks, the sheep then decided to roll down a rocky ridge 200 yards.
I’m schedueld for a moose hunt in September this fall during the rut, and I’m going to be carrying a custom 338-06 Ackely improved that pushes a 210 Nosler Partition out a 2,850. It’s been the center piece of the action on nine bull elk harvests; only one went beyond 20 yards after the shot. Two flipped over, four feet up. In conversations with my outfitter he says it should handle moose well, and I’m confident it will. Yes, it requires handloads, but I’m well stocked and well prepared. I’m not saying that this cartridge is the best for Alaska, but I’m confident it will do anything someone wants to use it on in the land of Enchandment.

Nothing wrong with a .338-06 and 210-grain Partition, or the new 210 Scirocco tipped. In fact, for that matter there is nothing wrong with a .338WM and a Barnes TTSX in the same bullet weights.

Last edited by Ray; 04/28/18.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
.338 caliber users might like to take a more serious look at the 185gn TTSX as it is easy to get stuck on the old traditional and limited weight options of 210m 225 and 250 grains.
When a 185grain weight makes you nervous, there are several 265, 280 and 300 grain heavies to thump at closer or finishing ranges.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458Win
My daughter Tia has a 7 1/2 # M70 in 416 Rem that she uses for virtually everything. She had it loaded with 300 gr X bullets ans used it last year to take a Dall sheep.
With lighter bullets the bigger calibers can be pretty versatile.

She obviously can shoot it pretty well if she’s sheep hunting with it.

If someone handles a big gun well, seems they have a good thing going.

A handloader’s dream; loads can be crafted for many uses and applications.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/27/18.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GSPfan
[quote=super T]A Ruger SS with a "boat paddle stock" in 30.06. ]

This but in a 338. It has worked for me several times and if it's lost or stolen or damaged you can always get another one.

I have both and with sights. I also used my 375 H&H but had I gotten a 375 Ruger that would have been fine as well. Just as important as what will work is what people become emotionally attached to. Love my 30-06's and I'm down to only two, I'm also down to 2, 338WM's as well. One of the things I really like about my 375 H&H Sako, with the McMillian stock is it shot so well and the recoil was at worst moderate. I literally could shoot 2 boxes of ammo off the bench. Just didn't bother me. But it wasn't stainless and if I expected the bad weather the Ruger 338WM went with me. With the "boat paddle stock" and Limbsaver pad, it was extremely controllable. Does a person NEED a 338WM and a 375H&H. NO. But as the song says, "What's need got to do with it?" Those 3 calibers are perfect for up north. Having a 30-06 for caribou or sheep or .... is also handy. What do you want to develop the memories with? That to me is the biggest question.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the biggest changes we have had in the "all around rifles" consideration, is the advancement we have had in bullets in the years since the Nosler Partition appeared. It was then put in fast forward when the Barnes X bullet showed up. Since then every bullet maker seems to have their version of a "super expanding/penetrating semi-monolithic" bullet. Similar to what happened with the Glock trigger group, Springfield, S&W etc.

Any way, my vote goes to the advancement in bullet performance, it has allowed "lesser" calibers to be considered as all "around Alaskan rifles".

For me, after 53 years it starts with the grand old 30-06 and ends between it and the wonderful .338 Win. Mag. Tossing the wonderful Barnes TTSX bullets!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I’m also another lived and hunted in Alaska, 4 years.
Honestly it really depends on your hunt.
Sheep 7mm mag, distance is king
Caribou 30-06, 7mm
Blackbear 30-06
Moose 300 win mag up to 416 Rigby
Grizzly, 338 win mag to 500

Always carry a 44mag side arm. No longer than a 6” barrel. Overly combersome sidearms will not be useful in a charging bear situation.

I carried a 338 WinMag browning stainless stalker as my main rifle. It was a heavy round and you could’t take those really long shots. 200yrds was the longest I would consider shooting with it. Also my side arm was a SW 629 classic with a non-fluted barrel.

The 30-06 is a great rifle and round but some bigger game just doesn’t stop even with a well placed shot. Also a double lung moose shot with an 06 can still mean 300-500 yrds tracking into some of the worst bush ever. Keep in mind post shot tracking that can become a major issue.

Last edited by KenB; 05/05/18.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by KenB
Caribou 30-06, 7mm
Blackbear 30-06

Always carry a 44mag side arm. No longer than a 6” barrel. Overly combersome sidearms will not be useful in a charging bear situation.

I carried a 338 WinMag browning stainless stalker as my main rifle. It was a heavy round and you could’t take those really long shots. 200yrds was the longest I would consider shooting with it. Also my side arm was a SW 629 classic with a non-fluted barrel.

The 30-06 is a great rifle and round but some bigger game just doesn’t stop even with a well placed shot. Also a double lung moose shot with an 06 can still mean 300-500 yrds tracking into some of the worst bush ever. Keep in mind post shot tracking that can become a major issue.

Sorry KenB, but there’s a whole lot in this post that simply leaves me scratching my head. Just............wow. 🙄

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Originally Posted by KenB
Caribou 30-06, 7mm
Blackbear 30-06

Sorry KenB, but there’s a whole lot in this post that simply leaves me scratching my head. Just............wow. 🙄

You and me both!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe in another few years he will learn how to shoot !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or learn where a moose's lungs are actually located.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just can't bring myself to carry a handgun when I've got a rifle in my hands. Wimpy I guess, but just hate the extra weight and volume. Know lots of folks that handgun is on their AMEX list, but not for me.

guess I should admit I do sometimes carry a lil airweight snubnose .22 with CT laser grips, hate to turn down good eating grouse

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 05/05/18.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.