Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, Lonny.
OP,
Tough to know what the now deceased owner had in mind.....or what he signed up for.
I'm not saying loggers are crooks, but some folks get taken " advantage of".
If the price is so cheap that you don't care if it's clear cut, I say continue to do your due diligence and move forward.
Who's watching the cutting?
When does the 400 cord number get " filled?"
Or do they just get to cut til there length of agreement runs out and they say they didn't get enough?
Logging companies aren't in business to overstate the amount of wood they plan to harvest.
Road building?
Culverts?
Engineered?
Easements?
Personally, if for recreation, I would be very cautious about committing myself to buy until after I was able to tour the property post logging.
If you were going to chop it up into parcels to sell, the roads and drainage may be a huge advantage to you.
Hopefully the company with the contract on this is the best logger ever.
Wonder what the family sold those rights for?
Too late now probably, but if they sold them for $40,000 (100 bucks a cord) it would have been nice to just add that to the price before purchase.
Good luck.

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
Its 2018 boys.There will not be a logger with a chainsaw.The logger will run a processor that will limb the sticks as they are cut.Nothing goes to waste anymore.All the trimmings will be processed and go into a van for pellets.It will look like a park.

If it`s not done this way the mess will be overwhelming. It will be hard to walk anywhere other than the logging trails. Getting clear shots at deer will be difficult if the tops aren't cut up. If the slash isn't removed or ground up it could be tough going for a few years. I'm going through it now.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have found the "mother lode" of Morels in these kind of slashings.Son in law picked one hundred and forty morels.Took five steps anf picked a hundred and fifty more.The largest was fourteen ounces,three weighed thirty one ounces.Dabble

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck of an informative thread.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Lots of apples and oranges being compared on this thread. A cord is 128 cu. ft. About the same as a big 3/4 ton pickup load. But what are you talking about? Firewood, pulp or timber. Timber is seldom measured in cords. A long log truck here in north Idaho can get on about 12 to 15 cords of firewood. Depending on how big your trees are and how thick it is 400 cords would be a pretty light cut on 65 acres.

That is predominantly pulp wood country sold by cord measure to paper mills
and OSB plants.

Much of the wood is hauled pole length 8-10 cords per trailer load IIRC.

Within two years,, you will have a stand of "dog hair" popple providing
food and cover for deer and grouse. Clear your shooting lanes and trails
while the saplings are small.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A small acreage of woods we used to hunt here in KY was logged back in the early '90s and changed the whole look of it but it didn't seem to affect the deer activity very much after a short while although squirrel hunting dropped off considerably. The loggers zig-zagged around cutting only certain size hardwoods and left big, tall brush piles of cut limbs which soon were overgrown with vines and all kinds of weeds growing in the cleared logged areas were the sun could now get to.. If a wounded deer managed to crawl up inside one of the brush piles, assuming you could even find it, you'd likely need a chain saw to get it out.

The worst was they just left assorted human trash like drink cans, bottles and cups, paper and Styrofoam coffee cups, snack and sandwich wrappers, cigarette packages, a few empty chain saw oil and 2 cycle oil containers, wads of toilet tissue, etc, just scattered around on the ground. In one spot it looked like a piece of their heavy power equipment probably sprung a leak as there was a fair size oil stain on the ground.

That entire little woods is gone now, though, bulldozed down, cleared and planted, most likely done by the current farmer/leaser and/or land owner in order to gain more tillable acreage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hahaha

Loggers in Tn will leave the top 1/3 of every tree and usually several dozen empty hyrdaulic fluid jugs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never like cleaning up with a cat [ bulldozer] you get to much dirt in the piles and they don't burn well, i use mostly an excavator you stack higher and burn better .

someone mentioned top 1/3 of tree left,,bingo,, most people do not realize the volume of wood debris in the canopy,,it is hugh and of course depends on type of tree.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Made me curious. google always knows. 1 to 50 trees, depending.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/76320.pdf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some here will buy a log truck load of 32 footers and typically get about 12 cords of split and stacked firewood. That number too depends on how tightly one puts together his stacks. So, about 33 big rig loads. That's a lot of wood to pull off of 65 acres. About 2 acres per load, but I don't recall seeing many clean 32 ft logs being moved when I lived back east.

From an efficiency standpoint, the quickest returns come from the largest of trees. Limbs are a complete waste of time unless one has some really spiffy commercial equipment for bucking, stacking, and hauling. A potential boost from what is typically waste would be to bring in a portable pellet mill. Those can swallow anything and kick out the finished product leaving a pretty clean site.

With western conifers, we have few limbs to deal with, but the reverse is true of deciduous hardwoods. Unless the deal includes the piling and burning of slash, the lot could end up looking like a bombed out nightmare. I'd ask for a few more details on the contract specifics. Some states also demand one submit cutting and reclamation plans before commercial actions can proceed.

I suggest one rent a forester for a day and ask them for an assessment. They'll likely go through "Steelhead and tkinak's process" above and likely also consider tree height. Things are a bit different if one cutting 100 ft+ verses 50 ft trees. Get into larger trees and rounds become a bit heavy to handle. They do stack up quickly though.

One might also consider buying the contract and doing things your way. That could be 60 to $80K in firewood depending on price. With labor considered the contract might be had for half of that.

When Cookie and I go to the woods, we rarely consider anything that less than 24 inches. Run the saw for an hour, and we're good for a 2 cord winter with some left overs.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/07/18.

1Minute
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In the midwest slash is left on the ground and actually helps with regeneration. Within 5 years the place will have lots of prime deer and grouse habitat. Especially if its logged in the winter.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The only reason I would NOT BUY IT, is that it is surrounded by a bunch of PUBLIC HUNTING State Forest... You will have googans camped out on every border, or worse, trespassing...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I don't know the answer to your question but as long as they leave some standing timber for cover, logging will attract deer to graze on the new browse.

Does the seller know the answer?

My agent is working on it. That's Highway 53 going past it. It's about 20 miles south of International Falls surrounded by Koochiching State forest.
I am going up there this weekend to check it out. The price is very good.

You're going to be up by Orr somewhere? Remember that stuff doesn't grow as fast up there. But in 5-10 years it will be a hellova nice grouse hunting spot. If I had that land surrounded by 1000's of acres of state forest. I'd not worry too much about it. The price of land will only go up.

With all the timber down, you'll be able to get a true lay out of the property's terrain. It might not be as bad as you think having it logged off. Might be easier to cut some trails in, put up some out buildings, a shop, tree stands.

If you like, grab it. Trees grow back.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by VernAK

Within two years,, you will have a stand of "dog hair" popple providing
food and cover for deer and grouse. Clear your shooting lanes and trails
while the saplings are small.

Big pile of good advice there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I don't know the answer to your question but as long as they leave some standing timber for cover, logging will attract deer to graze on the new browse.

Does the seller know the answer?

My agent is working on it. That's Highway 53 going past it. It's about 20 miles south of International Falls surrounded by Koochiching State forest.
I am going up there this weekend to check it out. The price is very good.

You're going to be up by Orr somewhere? Remember that stuff doesn't grow as fast up there. But in 5-10 years it will be a hellova nice grouse hunting spot. If I had that land surrounded by 1000's of acres of state forest. I'd not worry too much about it. The price of land will only go up.

With all the timber down, you'll be able to get a true lay out of the property's terrain. It might not be as bad as you think having it logged off. Might be easier to cut some trails in, put up some out buildings, a shop, tree stands.

If you like, grab it. Trees grow back.

I was thinking that I could get out there after they are done with a bobcat and make a trail system. I could make some clearings and plant crab apple trees along with some berries and rose hips. I'd have years of great grouse, deer and bear hunting right in my back yard. Be great for the kids and grand kids to come up and ride four wheelers and hunt. I guess the next question is, how many No Trespassing signs do I need to cover 65 acres?
I'll need something to keep me busy in my retirement.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You’ll probably need a schitload of “No Trespassing” signs. I was thinking the same thing as you. Get out with a skid steer and piss around at your leasure. The land being loggged off may not bug you because you’re not local to the spot. If you grew up on it or hunted it before it was logged, it might bug you that is barren now. But hell, you get to start over. That could be fun!

Crapapples, Choke Cherries, raspberries....get it all in there when the trees are down and I’ll bet the grow like mad.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you get it bought, be sure to have a fresh pot of coffee on when I'm drivin' by.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you're worried about what it will look like post logging, get a option to purchase. Might cost a few bucks, but it will give you piece of mind.

Hopefully they clean up the tops. Broke my ankle on the way to the blind opening morning two years ago trying to navigate that crap.

If they clear cut it or even selective cut, you can configure your property they way you want to hunt it. Shooting lanes, food plots, blinds, etc. 65 acres of different habitat among 1000 acres might make it a bit of a wildlife sanctuary. Your biggest headache will be trespassers "who've been hunting here for the last 35 years".

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While I defer to others here that are more knowledgeable about logging, I can tell you that a
friend of mine had his 50 acre hunting property logged (not sure how much they took out), but he was PISSED that the loggers knocked down old stone walls that had been there for centuries, and made a general mess. This was years ago, and there are
MANY saplings coming up because of the “opened canopy”.

For me, unless the price is ridiculously low (worth buying if it was bald), I wouldn’t buy it
before it’s logged. Maybe you could put a refundable deposit down based on the results of
the logging process? -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On the stone wall deal...same thing at our place. A wall built by slaves under the Albert Newell, iron baron in this area of Mid Tn back in the 1850s.

Scumbilly loggers rammed parts of it down after being informed to be careful. Then the logger wanted to know if me and my pop would let him take some of the limestone flat rocks for his cabin 'project'. Said no, well he went and mooched permission for portions of it that went beyond our boundary from the property neighbor.

Came back across our line, he got supposedly confused and ended up scooping up about 50 ft of it on our side. What an ass. Typical high school dropout, posing as a quasi logging operation. Never again with us.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (21, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 35 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.