Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Danm, give me more eye relief...😃I try to barely put any pressure resting my hand on the top of my scope, or the fore end on my stock. There are times this rewards me with a punch to the bill of my hat..😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Did you notice the drift in your pay dirt? The poster, who knows more than a little bit about shooting, grew tired of the blast and concussion and put together a rifle in a lighter cartridge, and then again in a lighter cartridge yet.

I did...Which was informative. I still enjoy hunting and shooting my 300 Wby and 300 RUM a lot. It works well for me...You selling your 300 wby soon? What is it? And, what is your “need” as of late? 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's a Japanese MkV with the 26" Wby. #2 contour barrel. Real pretty stock too. No plans to sell, I may bring it out of retirement to shoot some hogs "just because."

I hunt deer and shoot any hogs I can draw a bead on. One or another 308 has been my main shootin' iron for a while now.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
"pussy break"

Good one chief.

You never heard that before??? Is that you with the T-Rex? Wow! Have you mentioned any of your magnums you hunt or regularly shoot? I might have missed your post...Whatcha got 16? 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's a Japanese MkV with the 26" Wby. #2 contour barrel. Real pretty stock too. No plans to sell, I may bring it out of retirement to shoot some hogs "just because."

I hunt deer and shoot any hogs I can draw a bead on. One or another 308 has been my main shootin' iron for a while now.

Math, see, finally some common ground. I bought a Japan made Weatherby with the nice rosewood tips in stainless. It was chambered in 300 wsm. Shot lights out...No bedding needed. No pressure points to be sanded. It was just a shooter straight from the box...

Wish I could say the same for my other Weatherby MarkV’s both in 30-378 and 300 wby...I had fiddle-fuuck with both stocks removing forend stock...Then going full bedding before they became accurate rifles...I did my hunting buddy a solid and sold him my Japan Weatherby for his deer and antelope hunts...I went with a Nosler M48 Patriot in 270wsm....Making me the Gay Parade leader.

If I buy another Weatherby. It would be Japan made...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
Big boomers?

That's as much a perspective as anything else. BOOM may be bigger from a 300 Ultra mag then it is from a 308, but they both fore the same size bullets as a rule.

So what constitutes "big"?

These are:
4 bore being fired with a "light charge" of powder (no....... I am not kidding)
[Linked Image]4 bore in action by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

And the muzzle of a 2 bore. If loaded with to the same velocity as a 4 bore the recoil would be 4X as heavy. (no one is stupid enough to do that)
[Linked Image]2 Bore muzzle by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Yeah, if someone mentioned a chassis for something like that I’d be asking “1/2 or 3/4 ton?”

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm sure I've razzed somebody with the 270 thing but that's just goofing around. I believe a lot of people would be better served with a good 270 than the 300 mag they're hung up on. A 270 is a sure fire deer killer out past distances where a lot of us don't really need to be pulling the trigger with hair in the sight picture. For a number of years my camp mate and I were the "gunniest" members of our deer lease, and most of the time we were out hunting with the smallest rifles. 243 Win, 260 rem, 250 Savage vs 7mm and 300 mags. A newer member is into rifles and he's shooting a custom 280 AI.

Two years ago one of our members said he was glad he had his 300 mag when he shot his deer since his laser rangefinder told him it was out there at 260 yards or so. grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by geedubya
what's wrong with the 7mag

[Linked Image]

it will kill a spotted hoglet

[Linked Image]

small Texas deer!

and an occasional aoudad 'ewe'

[Linked Image]

if ya' poke em' in the eye!

7stw will also do in a pinch

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Nothing wrong with a 7mag...Except it’s the favorite killing iron for a “Pink Camo” wearing hipster from CO...Calling Mr. Dog! 😎

I've never seen a guy come onto this forum and try harder to look cool than you.... but that's only a sample of about 65,000 guys. You've been here a couple months and made well over 1000 posts..... maybe a little less fluff... and a little more substance is in order.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ladies and Gentleman, you are experiencing the effects of repeated incidences of scope bite to the frontal lobe. Please be advised.

Leave it to Beaver......

I had a 22 Magnum once.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had a good time reading and participating while I’m waiting for painting season to kick-off.

Dog, I’m sorry my content hasn’t stimulated you....I apologize for that. I have found your posts very informative on how to buy, build, hand fab anything and everything on the cheap..As, in, you either don’t have the money some of us do to buy high end schit...Or, you choose to go it “ala cheapo ” because you were born and raised to rub nickels...I don’t care..You have skills on the hunt. You’re ethical. You love your family, and yourself, which is good for low self esteem issues you may have had and overcome...

I would hunt with you, drink beers with you, laugh at you, and myself...And, kill a lot of schit ethically at near and far...Hey, but that’s me. Now, go find that tampon you lost in your big pussy...And, I will work on my Punctuation and DIY skills with a dremel and a used Tupperware stock...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Ladies and Gentleman, you are experiencing the effects of repeated incidences of scope bite to the frontal lobe. Please be advised.

Leave it to Beaver......

I had a 22 Magnum once.

And, a 22 mag is 16’s big magnum...Rimfire section is lower...Look for it. 😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've high-ended my fair share of rigs..... and they have their place. At some point, I decided I'd rather parlay a couple high end builds into rifles and gear for my wife and five children.... yes, five. Cheaper rigs, and components to feed them.... accompanied suppressors and numerous binocs and tents and rain jackets and boots and tags and hunts.

It's also always a good to watch one of the kids out shoot seasoned vets with high end rigs.... running some dremmeled up, Krylon painted, "cheap factory rig". When you're in CO, hit me up.... I'll get you tickets to the show.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
5 kids...I got “fin clipped” after raising my first wife’s 3 girls...You might have noticed I don’t own many NIB rifles...I bought several high end, barely used rigs during the 2008-2011 turd economy...Sadly, a lot of people were short on cash...Houses, boats, campers, ATV’s were unfortunately being sold for way less than they were worth..I don’t do boats...I did buy quite a few shoot’n irons though.

I would definitely holler at you If headed to CO, to take a class from you on the Dremel. Your cheek piece looked factory. Now, GFY doggy...I got a parade to plan. 😳😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure I've razzed somebody with the 270 thing but that's just goofing around. I believe a lot of people would be better served with a good 270 than the 300 mag they're hung up on. A 270 is a sure fire deer killer out past distances where a lot of us don't really need to be pulling the trigger with hair in the sight picture. For a number of years my camp mate and I were the "gunniest" members of our deer lease, and most of the time we were out hunting with the smallest rifles. 243 Win, 260 rem, 250 Savage vs 7mm and 300 mags. A newer member is into rifles and he's shooting a custom 280 AI.

Two years ago one of our members said he was glad he had his 300 mag when he shot his deer since his laser rangefinder told him it was out there at 260 yards or so. grin

Math, my 270 wsm at a nuthair over 8.5lbs scoped is a bit “snappy”. I always thought the 270 was a closeted performer but with the powders and bullets today. It’s easy to see why it’s liked by many...I really don’t work that hard trying to kill black tail deer. It’s more about me putting eyes on elk herds in late October...I just wanted a lighter rig and DogShooter confirmed the 270 wsm could fit the bill if I didn’t want a 7mag and I looked good wearing “pink”...My Nosler M48 is the first NIB rifle I’ve bought in a while...I really like the dang thing...😎

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a couple 444 Marlins, didn't know there was a magnum. Enlighten me. Never considered a 300 WSM a "timber" cartridge, I would have kept the 444 Marlin, it is one hell of a hitter with 250-355 grain projectiles and fast into action in a lever, especially when used in dark timber where big bull elk hold up.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rossimps....My Marlin 444 was nice. It was the guide model with a ported spout. I just couldn’t pull off the “John Wayne” lever throw when an elk busted through timber. I was getting off one shot, then losing sight having to run the action...I can’t say how the 300 wsm with 200 grainers is gonna do. I picked it up used after 2017 elk season and haven’t even put it on paper yet...I did sell the Marlin for a nice increase over what I paid for it years ago..A guy bought it for bear protection at his cabin in Montana 😎

Correction....Not a magnum....444 Marlin. It sure felt like a magnum. 😁

Last edited by Beaver10; 05/08/18.

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Big Boomers for me are my handguns. But, I'm nowhere near Max Prasac's level.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went up the thumper ladder, and now have worked my way back down.....

270 Weatherby, couple 7 STW's, 7x300 WM, 300 Weatherby, 338 WM, 338 Ultra (BDL), 338 Ultra Sendero punched into a 338/300 Ultra, 338/300 Ultra Bat gun, 358 STA, 375 H&H, 375 H&H Ackley, 375 Ruger, and topped out at a 416 RM.

Big gun now is a 338-06 Ackley, dropping to a 7-08, & a smattering of "little" guys below that......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

and one I call "the spot remover"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

not only did it remove most of this bobcat's spots,

[Linked Image]

but it knocked him cross-eyed as well!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don’t know if these quality. Wife shoots a .338 WM, with 225 TTSX’s @ 2950 mv, I’m using a .375 AI, with a 250 TTSX @ 3130 mv. We do all of our hunting with these rifles. Mine since ‘90, her since ‘95. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/08/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.