-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The;big ones are hard to handle. The farmer and I could not lift it into the trunk of my car, We rolled it into the front loader bucket on his tractor. The small ones in VT are much easier.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Which state would be best to hunt looking for a large deer, not so much horns but a big bodied animal. Weapon choice is easy as I have shotguns and muzzleloaders whatever is legal I will tune something up for the hunt.

I don't know about best. I do know about darn good.

Look at where Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio come together. Locals call it the "Tri-State." In the center is Cincinnati.

In Kentucky, the area is Zone 1: unlimited doe harvest. In Ohio, Hamilton County supposedly has one of the highest whitetail concentrations in the world. In Indiana, Switzerland County is considered one of the top bowhunting destinations in the state.

We have 300 lb liveweight bucks in our subdivision on the north side of Cincinnati. The trick around here is finding a spot to hunt them. It is rather disarming to be driving out for a gallon of milk and see a 12 pointer standing next to the neighbor's mailbox, treating the flower bed like it's the salad bar. I've come into the living room on a Saturday morning and had a bruiser staring in the window at me.

Biggest? Probably not, but they're big.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The;big ones are hard to handle. The farmer and I could not lift it into the trunk of my car,

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The;big ones are hard to handle. The farmer and I could not lift it into the trunk of my car, We rolled it into the front loader bucket on his tractor. The small ones in VT are much easier.

It takes accomodations for sure. I keep a block and tackle and ramps handy. If you dig around on my weblog, you'll see me using it:

http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=3869

I have an old S-10 rigged as a dedicated deer retriever.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...bwpCXEW_u3zYM7iGASLE531NEvkTD?source=pwa

Our newest innovation is the L-E-Vator. It's a portable deer lift. It's really handy for getting a big one into the back of the my Silverado.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jud, no we never did get that old guy. Seems like that's normally the case for those big old slobs.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I’ve learned that, better kill em while ya got the chance!!! Blacktail are really bad that way...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by shaman

It takes accomodations for sure. I keep a block and tackle and ramps handy. If you dig around on my weblog, you'll see me using it:

http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=3869

I have an old S-10 rigged as a dedicated deer retriever.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...bwpCXEW_u3zYM7iGASLE531NEvkTD?source=pwa

Our newest innovation is the L-E-Vator. It's a portable deer lift. It's really handy for getting a big one into the back of the my Silverado.

Impressive.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Impressive.

Thank you.

It used to be that it was just me, alone. In 1991, I bagged a 255 pounder in Switzerland County, IN, and had to walk a few miles to find a farmer that would come over with his front loader to get the deer into the back of the truck. That taught me to prepare ahead. Until the kids were nearly grown, it was still just me heaving these boogers around. I took to carrying a block and tackle so I could get them up into a tree and then back my car or truck in.

The latest twist at camp was when SuperCore had his bypass surgery. He bought the L-E-Vator for camp so he could get one of these toads onto the back of his ATV in a pinch.

My goal has been to make sure everyone at camp is fairly self-sufficient. I spent too many years getting called out of the stand on the Opener to retrieve deer. As it is, with the Hirschwagen, the L-E-Vator and our meatpole operation, we've been able to kill 2 deer before 1800, get them to the meatpole, gut them, load them in the truck and have them out to the processor by 1930.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I'm just old school. I just use a ramp big enough to fit in the bed of the pick up. A few years back Wisconsin changed the rule that we had to take the deer out in one piece only gutted. We can cut them up in five pieces now to pack them out. I do carry a double and triple pulley set and rope in my pack to get them up in a tree off the ground and away from the wolves. It took me three days and four trips to pack my last deer, a 12 pointer, out of the hinterland. Note to self: you've got to start hunting closer to the truck.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Im a ramp and block and tackle guy when solo loading bear and bear and hogs.

https://youtu.be/USbA6psnwew

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
IC B3

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It takes a darned big deer to dress at 200+ pounds. The biggest deflator of egos is a certified scale.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Upstate New York has some big deer too. Here is a doe from about ten years back while on active duty. For reference, I am 6'6" and weighed 235 pounds, so I fully assume that doe hung around 200 pounds dressed.

The yearling on the tin behind me is bigger than most full grown deer on the Mid-Atlantic...
[Linked Image]

Semper Fi

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JDK
It takes a darned big deer to dress at 200+ pounds. The biggest deflator of egos is a certified scale.i

I think fish and bear are even worse!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hogs are the most often "fudged" regarding weight.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well it looks like Wisconsin gets my attention. A friend of mine owns a huge farm in east central Wisconsin so I called him up to see what his deer were like and he said big and too many! Out of state tag isn't outrageous and I have the run of 3000 acres that is about half cropfields. He also said the rut is on more during the muzzleloader season but now that he can he likes to hunt with a centerfire rifle.

Last edited by rickt300; 05/09/18.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He also said the rut is on more during the muzzleloader season but now that he can he likes to hunt with a centerfire rifle.

Rick,
Actually, the rut happens during the archery season. The ML season begins after the rifle season (rifle season follows the early archery season).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JDK
It takes a darned big deer to dress at 200+ pounds. The biggest deflator of egos is a certified scale.

Yep. I watched a guy have a near meltdown at the feed mill in Butternut, WI because his buck that he was sure dressed over 220 was "only" 195 pounds. It was a massive buck with a beautiful rack in the high 140's low 150's. There was absolutely nothing to upset about on that deer. But that guy wouldn't hear it.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well it looks like Wisconsin gets my attention. A friend of mine owns a huge farm in east central Wisconsin so I called him up to see what his deer were like and he said big and too many! Out of state tag isn't outrageous and I have the run of 3000 acres that is about half cropfields. He also said the rut is on more during the muzzleloader season but now that he can he likes to hunt with a centerfire rifle.

I'd run the BS flag up the pole on the rut statement. WI rut is during the crossbow season and may catch the beginning the rifle season. They may be back up and moving during the muzzleloading season though after a tough rut and holding tight during the gun season.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
crossbow season in WI? You actually went there?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
yup, the farther North the better. The biggest bodied deer that I shot was in Vermont and it weighed over 200 lbs after being dressed out and hung for a couple days. I know they get a lot bigger but that one's body seemed huge to me. I also hunt in the Adirondack of New York where the deer get pretty big. The problem, though, is that these large forested areas in the North have far fewer deer densities than farther south. It is not uncommon to go a week hunting without seeing a single deer in some of the areas with huge bucks up north.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.