Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by geedubya
I've been killing stuff since I was a wee yonker. In only two instances do I remember recoil. Once was with my 338 RUM Sendero before i had it 'Braked" Poked a doe at a lazered 590 yds. Turned the magnification up and scooted up a skosh to much on the stock. When I came to, and wiped the blood out of my eyes I could see the doe, tits up.

The second was two years ago on the 24 hourcampfire hog hunt. I was shooting my 9.3 x74R at the bench on a crummy rest. Split my haid wide open, Glad it was a rubber eye box vs. steel.

That 4 bore and 2 bore look like "detatched retina/dislocated shoulder" territory!

ya!

GWB

I witnessed round 2.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by szihn
Big boomers?

That's as much a perspective as anything else. BOOM may be bigger from a 300 Ultra mag then it is from a 308, but they both fore the same size bullets as a rule.

So what constitutes "big"?

These are:
4 bore being fired with a "light charge" of powder (no....... I am not kidding)
[Linked Image]4 bore in action by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

And the muzzle of a 2 bore. If loaded with to the same velocity as a 4 bore the recoil would be 4X as heavy. (no one is stupid enough to do that)
[Linked Image]2 Bore muzzle by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

That 4 Bore sure makes your minivan look small.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fredIII
Bev
I open the sock drawer for the magnums that really turn dog crank. 😂😂😂

[Linked Image]

JFC, you teed that right up...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Beave, I got a 1 guage tri barrel, does that count? Grin

Ha, ha...You have a punta gun? pics of that gaper needs to be seen by all Jud.😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bev
I open the sock drawer for the magnums that really turn dog crank. 😂😂😂

[Linked Image]

Ps the 300 wm will land tomorrow with a new tube last CM went 1200 rounds of 208 and 210.
The edge is a fav as most thing with fur crumble when hit.
But with three kids the money is tight the 6.5 3f is a food stamp affair. LOL.

Freddy, that answers the question of “what’s in your wallet?” Magnums are needed when foreskin wasn’t caped at birth...Crying 😂🤣

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Your new 300 WM tube is gonna touch a yogi in a few weeks, right? Beautiful, heavy bodied Rosie, it should have fed you all well...I always liked government cheese with my elk meat...It allowed me to save my pennies for Sitka gear. 😳😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Time to get cut Freddy!!! Haha

JMan, you take your 6.5-300 Wby to your smith to get assembled or is it still on your table waiting for some attention? My 26 Nosler rifle should hit town the middle of next week...Fred, I pussed out on the NF NXS...GAP and their special order on LRHSi 4.5-18x44 at half off was too compelling to pass on...Jud, when Fred gets his “Triple F 6.5 built” we all should hook up for breaking in barrels...I’d drive north so Freddy can save gas money...Dude, get yourself cut...Foreskin too. 😳🤣😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MD, you are talented...And, one lucky man being able to own, hunt and shoot some of America’s best made big magnums. I wish I would have paid more attention in English Class...You are obviously unfazed by recoil, shooting light-weight 7 pounders.. Doing it once maybe a mistake build...But, twice...You’re fearless. I see why you appreciate the “McCreedy” so much. Thanks for sharing...You and Geed both rule the land of big and mid magnums...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Beaver10,

Thanks!

But the truth is I like ALL rifle cartridges, regardless of caliber or powder capacity. Just yesterday was running some tests on a new bullet in the .17 Hornet. The .416 Rigby is one of my favorite "magnums," but the .17 Hornet is definitely my favorite prairie dog round, partly because it recoils so lightly it's easy to watch the results through the scope....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Your new 300 WM tube is gonna touch a yogi in a few weeks, right? Beautiful, heavy bodied Rosie, it should have fed you all well...I always liked government cheese with my elk meat...It allowed me to save my pennies for Sitka gear. 😳😎

Hopefully it’s landing this afternoon
Got a lot to do if it’s going to make a LR boomer in A couple weeks

Took Scott a day to open the box and two to put it back in one but fedx is slow. From TX

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beave, I need to finish picking up beer cans outta the ditch, then I’ll get the 6.5 Roy rollin!!!.... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fortis, Interesting story...416 Wby at 452 yards with 330 grainier dead bangs a doe antelope in high wind...Scope looked like a Leupold with A/O. No turret twisting...Just a straight flat shooting round...Did you changed the furniture and go with a straight comb or is that the Weatherby stock,I forgot what they call the non-lacquered stock with a lower comb, European? FIDR....I liked my Weatherby’s a lot. But, I pussed out and changed furniture to lower the “felt flip” they like to do into a guys face...😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I owned, or shot many ,458Wm, 458 Lott, 450Ackley.416 Taylor, .416 Rem Mag, friends 416 BEE, .404 Jeffry, .375 H&H, .375 BEE, then .35 WAI (one of my faves) regular Whelen,350 RM, .338/280, 338wm, 338RUM, 340BEE...loved them all "except" the Lott and the 416BEE....horrible, lol. Since I had a non shooting related torn retina (took a year to fix it, 4 procedures) I don't shoot that many heavy 338wm loads or about equal 35 WAI loads. No need with premium lighter bullets and no cape buffalo/elephants in the Uintas! smile I didn't count lesser rounds or leverguns. Oh yeah, just in case there is ever an escaped roge circus elephant I keep a M870 12ga Mag with some Dixie Slugs Terminators handy (730 grains of hardened lead...yes they kick!) And, I'd have to look but "I think" I have some of their IXL-DGR 870gr slugs somewhere....

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/09/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jim, you hunt Africa with those .40 calibers? Here’s what always has me on the fence about buying a 416 Rigby. I’ve seen them for sale in excellent condition for a smaller amount of money than I would have expected. Since I don’t ever have plans on going after the animals on the plains of Africa...I wonder where I would actually hunt it. Moose? Big bears? What in North America would a hunter not look out of place with a .404 Jeff or .416 Rigby? The .375 H&H seems like a professional hunters go to cartridge. The .375 H&H I could see owning...Your thoughts? 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Beaver10,

"Creedy"?

At least nobody, so far as I know, has called a Nightforce a "Nighty."

Averaging over 7 posts per day... none of which I suspect, represent more intelligence than those found here.

Someone is jealous.

Nut you just here to look at everyone else’s stuff and kills with a little white drool in the corner of your mouth ain’t you. LOL

No doubt. lickin windows and droolin is what I "do". Sometimes I get lucky and an animal will run by the window...

Last animal I took with any kind of magnum was a hog with a 500S&W. Last magnum rifle I killed a game animal with was 4 or 5 years ago. Still own a 300, 338 win mag and a 375 H&H. Just don't feel the need to use them often.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1Nut; 05/09/18.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Beaver- Not with the 40s...I have been on 4 Plains Game hunts; 3 in South Africa, one in Namibia. I used mainly a 35 WAI, .375H&H, .340W and 300WM. I had the .404 built because I was told I could get a cull buffalo hunt in SA, but it never came about. I had the 416 Taylor built light for an elk rifle, but it was too brutal w/o a brake and ungodly loud with one! ha. I just played with the other 416s, and the 416 Rigby in the CZ 550 was the most pleasant to shoot, same with the .404.
I found that there will always be someone to give their opinion about your rifle/caliber/bullet, etc, so use what you want! Hogs are cheap compared to moose and bear, good game for big bores and easier to get to than elk! smile You can slow a 416 down with handloads and shoot cast lead the speed of the old buffalo guns! The .375 H&H really IS a nice big rifle for everything, the 338 mags are great, BUT "really", the 35 Whelen, 338/06, either in standard or Improved will kill like the 375 and 338 mags out to 250yds, and are much easier to shoot! So, pick your poison! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/09/18.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Beaver10,

"Creedy"?

At least nobody, so far as I know, has called a Nightforce a "Nighty."

Averaging over 7 posts per day... none of which I suspect, represent more intelligence than those found here.

Someone is jealous.

Nut you just here to look at everyone else’s stuff and kills with a little white drool in the corner of your mouth ain’t you. LOL

No doubt. lickin windows and droolin is what I "do". Sometimes I get lucky and an animal will run by the window...

Last animal I took with any kind of magnum was a hog with a 500S&W. Last magnum rifle I killed a game animal with was 4 or 5 years ago. Still own a 300, 338 win mag and a 375 H&H. Just don't feel the need to use them often.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Links don’t work. The new obermeyer shows promise.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing like a tidy work area!

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (afisher, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.