H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by humdinger
You're the expert Steelhead so I will never deny your subject matter expertise on hunting across America,

We bow in your presence.

Please be careful when you sit on your Claven though.

Don't take it so personal, it wasn't meant to be. When people say it can't be done 'that way' they are talking from their Yankee grouse hunting experience. They are more than one type of grouse in north America.

No offense taken. We Yankees take your wisdom of all North America hunting as gospel.

You are the PEZ dispenser of wisdom.

Understood, you're a fuGing idiot that basks in the glory of said idiothood.

Congrats?

Are you upset with the title of PEZ dispenser of Wizzdom?

I thought your ego would be stroked.

(just giving you a little schat - dont take it too serious)

Last edited by humdinger; 04/29/18.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

T
Tweed Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Scott County, MN has one of the greatest concentrations of ruffed grouse in North America so I would give credence to whatever one from there says. Of course that concentration is at Mid-America Taxidermy so it is a measure of actual success rather than supposition. 😭

I can't speak for much of the rest of the country but taking grouse with a 22 in northern and east central MN (and WI when it was legal) is very possible throughout the season. To be successful one needs a degree of woodcraft that is not much different than still hunting deer or squirrels. Walking logging trails keeping an eye open for movement, odd shapes in the road or in the brush and the sound of steps in the leaves or the "pert" of a bird getting nervous is the long proven means of taking grouse with a rifle. In the winter watching the tree tops for birds as they pick buds, seeds, or berries is usually more productive.

Sucess rates were similar to using dogs and higher than the typical dogless hunter walking through the woods. It was common to take two grouse a day hunting a couple hours in the morning and a couple more in the evening. Early season before the broods broke up pushed past that point as it was not uncommon to take two or more from a single brood. The numbers weren't much different in high years than low as the trails are the prime spots and always attracted birds.

It is still possible to take grouse with a 22 in MN but it is harder. The problem is not "smart birds" but the number of other people using the trails. ATV use has grown exponentially and put a real damper on walking the trails, especially between The Cities to Duluth and an hour or so around the larger communities. The traffic decreases the amount of time grouse spend on trails and the number of grouse taken by users affect the success rates in popular areas. Get on private land in that area or hunt weekdays in less accessible areas and one can have decent hunting for a time depending on the size of the property and the amount of good habitat around it. I used to shoot a handful of grouse with a pistol at my cabin in Pine Co. as opportunity arose but now would rather work the dogs on them.

I might have to return to my roots one of these days, the wife would like to phase out the dogs and travel more. If it gets to that point I'll have to dig out my old single shot 22 and brush up on my stalking skills. I just hope I can still hear by then.

Thanks for your experience.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shoot quite a few grousenand ptarmigans up here in Alaska with my 22 rifle, it’s nit really for sporting purposes as much as they are just good to eat sometimes.

My set up is a 77/22 (plastic stock, blued barrel) with a leupold vx1 rimfire 2-7x28 mounted with the factory rings, I love this gun. For bullets, it dosent make a damn bit of difference for shooting grouse, just hit them good in the head or neck so they don’t fly away. Their vitals are so small that it’s suprisingly easy to shoot them and lose them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen grouse so shot over, they flush up a 1/4 mile ahead.
I have seen grouse so unexposed, that we killed them with rocks.

Where we used to live, we had grouse on our property. My 6 year old son was too small to lift a 10/22 so I would kneel and he used my shoulder as a rest to shoot medium stupid ruffed grouse.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one I've ever known in SE Alaska hunted grouse with a shotgun. Taking heads off with a rifle was the way to roll.

Same up in the Interior. Rarely are shotguns used in the villages for grouse and ptarmigan. They are used more along the road system. Last fall was the first time I shot grouse with a shotgun (.410) in years. Most of them were whacked on the ground. Ordinarily I shoot them with a .22 pistol while tooling through the woods doing other things.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
Looks more like a pigeon Steelhead. wink Okay a little egocentric thinking that your grouse was our ruffed grouse and as a western dude that one is probably a western capercaillie or wood grouse. Being a birder I just checked and there are 12 different grouse species in North America.

And 7 are native to AK...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't hate any birds enough to groundswat them, but that is just my prejudice. And it is based on having groundswatted a wagonload...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.