-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when I was a kid I worked for a guy that mixed his own dip because he had so many dogs. Dipping over a hundred Catahoula's and Pit Bulldogs in a day isn't something you look forward too.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by Greyghost

DE (Diatomaceous Earth) used for flea and tic control for pets.

Link

runs about $28 for a 50 pound bag at local feed store... make sure you use food grade ( big difference) can also be used in kitchens and pantry's for ants and around parameter of house.

Use frontline once a year nearing summer, spray dogs bedding with DE and have never had a problem.

Phil

You can also use the dust to sprinkle on an ant hill. It just takes a light dusting and the next day, the ants are gone. This is also not toxic to animals or humans.

Last edited by WVGuy; 05/14/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I've struggled with fleas on my dogs all my life, using various products, both external and oral. The external products worked for a while, but then you need to switch to a different product, because after a while the fleas in your area evolve an immunity to it, so it's an arms race of sorts that never ends. Eventually, none of them worked, so I switched to the oral medications that cause the dog's blood to become toxic to both fleas and ticks. These work very well, but then you're concerned about a possible toxic effect on your dog, too.

But all of these concerns disappeared for me a few years ago when I switched my dogs to an all raw meat, bone, and organ diet. I hadn't heard that it was a flea cure, besides being also a cure for shedding, skin conditions, oral disease, joint issues, on and on and on, but soon discovered that it was also the cure for fleas.

Apparently, fleas prosper on a dog only when the dog's blood is high in sugar, and on a raw meat, bone, and organ diet, your dog's blood simply isn't sweet enough to attract fleas, so they just gradually disappear from them and your property. The only time they scratch with fleas now is when they first return from the kennel, because the other dog's fleas jump on them, but after about a week they disappear, and don't come back (and then just for about a week) till the next kennel visit, which only happens a few times a year.

So, thankfully, something that has plagued me and my dogs for my entire life is no longer a consideration. I no longer have to deal with fleas or the various chemical cures available for them.

Funny, seen a lot of fleas and ticks on many of the coyotes I've whacked over the years. Pretty sure they weren't on kibble.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Back when I was a kid I worked for a guy that mixed his own dip because he had so many dogs. Dipping over a hundred Catahoula's and Pit Bulldogs in a day isn't something you look forward too.

I used to mix up left over termiticide from pre-treatment of new construction.

Dursban TC chlorpyrifos. Mix dat sheeit up in a wheelbarrrow and douse all the farm dogs with a bucket.

It was a little harsh on cats. Haha so we used Lindane on them. 😄

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Started using Seresto collars a few years ago. They’re worth the $50 once a year. Never felt like Frintkine was very effective.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For years I used Advantix on my three heelers w/out problems.

Then last year brown dog ticks got resistant. Brown dog ticks are unlike all other ticks in that they don't need a rodent host in the woods, all three stages can live in your house.

Practically overnight I was buried in ticks in the house, thousands, twenty or thirty bloated ticks pulled off each dog every day. Fogging the house and directly spraying the ticks with over-the-counter foggers and sprays (permethrin and other pyrethroid based) was of no use at all.

So those brown dog ticks were totally immune to permethrin, pyrethroids and also imidacloprid, the active ingredient in Advantix.

Then I gave 'em each a $60 Bravecto pill (active ingredient fluralaner), friggin amazing. Gave them the pill around 11pm, about TWO HUNDRED dead/immobilized ticks on the tile floor where two of the dogs customarily slept at 6 am the following morning. A vaccuum took care of most of the remaining ticks in the house, but their food supply becoming toxic the way it did their numbers dwindled rapidly.

Bravecto gives ya 12 weeks for $60, a Seresto collar claims seven months for about the same price.

One active ingredient in Seresto tho is imidacloprid, the same thing as in Advantix, which doesn't work on my dogs anymore. The other active ingredient is flumethrin, another sort of pyrethroid.

Guess I'm gonna stick with Bravecto, until such time as the ticks may get resistant.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, the oral meds work wonders. They do all, indeed, just drop dead, both ticks and fleas. Back before I switched my dogs to an all raw meat, bone, and organ, diet, that was the only thing that worked after they became immune to all the external products.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Hang one of these on the collar. My dog has no fleas anymore. They are cheap and last a LONG time.

cattle ear tags

The Beagle men around here use Y-Tex Python Purple cow ear tags to ward off fleas and ticks on their dogs. Purple is the ONLY color they use as the Orange (and other color) tags have too high a dosage of the insecticide. The tags are cut into four pieces and one is affixed to the dogs collar with a small zip tie.
Spectra Shield tags which provide protection for four months and contain the exact same levels of insecticide as the Python Purple cow ear tags are being marketed specifically for dogs.
I’ve found both to be very effective....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Trifexis on all 3 dogs. No problems

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had good luck with Trifexis. It's also a heart worm preventative

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by silver78
I have been using Frontline Plus on my two Labs. A friend recommended Seresto 8 Month Flea & Tick Prevention Collar. Any thoughts on which product is better? Or is there another brand you recommend? Thanks for your help.

I've struggled with fleas on my dogs all my life, using various products, both external and oral. The external products worked for a while, but then you need to switch to a different product, because after a while the fleas in your area evolve an immunity to it, so it's an arms race of sorts that never ends. Eventually, none of them worked, so I switched to the oral medications that cause the dog's blood to become toxic to both fleas and ticks. These work very well, but then you're concerned about a possible toxic effect on your dog, too.

But all of these concerns disappeared for me a few years ago when I switched my dogs to an all raw meat, bone, and organ diet. I hadn't heard that it was a flea cure, besides being also a cure for shedding, skin conditions, oral disease, joint issues, on and on and on, but soon discovered that it was also the cure for fleas.

Apparently, fleas prosper on a dog only when the dog's blood is high in sugar, and on a raw meat, bone, and organ diet, your dog's blood simply isn't sweet enough to attract fleas, so they just gradually disappear from them and your property. The only time they scratch with fleas now is when they first return from the kennel, because the other dog's fleas jump on them, but after about a week they disappear, and don't come back (and then just for about a week) till the next kennel visit, which only happens a few times a year.

So, thankfully, something that has plagued me and my dogs for my entire life is no longer a consideration. I no longer have to deal with fleas or the various chemical cures available for them.

This would be great. I need to try it on my Aussies. I have giving them poison, which is really what the pills are.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Read the book, Jorge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Soresto has worked good for me

I guess the work great. No fleas or ticks on my two setters. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't worry Jorge, the insecticides target the insect nervous system which is quite different from mammalian nervous system. Low toxicity for mammals if dosed properly. Google the ingredient of interest.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We use Trifexis as apparently Aussies cannot have the other stuff. What book?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
We use Trifexis as apparently Aussies cannot have the other stuff. What book?

Give Your Dog A Bone by Dr. Billinghurst.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by silver78
I have been using Frontline Plus on my two Labs. A friend recommended Seresto 8 Month Flea & Tick Prevention Collar. Any thoughts on which product is better? Or is there another brand you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Just had my mutt to the vet a few weeks ago for annual check-up and shots. Vet recommended the Seresto 8 month collar over Frontline Plus, which I had been using. He justification was that it added an additional protection for ???, and it ended up being cheaper in the long run.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knew about ivermectin (kills heartworms) toxicity in breeds I've never had but not Aussies. Apparently it's a genetic mutation they can test for.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have been using the Frontline and others of the similar application method and reputation. They have seemed to work over the years, but are spendy for four or five dogs over the course of spring, summer and early fall. Just got the Seresto collars for our dogs the other day, so we will see. I like the "8 month" effective possibility and $55+/- each seems cost effective as well.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 204guy, 70 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,614
Posts18,532,920
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.