Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
We are booked for 2019 to return to Newfoundland with Red Indian Lake. I have decided I want to try using a flintlock muzzleloader. Any particular rules or regulations to bringing the black powder? Any rules to the gun itself outside of declaring it for financial purposes before I leave the US?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chumleyhunts;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that it's at least thinking about starting to warm up in your part of the world.

Here's a link to the RCMP fact sheet on firearms, which includes links to the Firearms Act.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm

The part which concerns your query is answered with the following quote.

"All matchlock, flintlock and wheel lock long guns are considered antiques no matter when they were made. Like older firearms of these types, they are exempt from the licence and registration requirements set out in the Firearms Act."

It's interesting that I'm aware of one individual who has a lifetime ban from owning firearms who legally possesses and hunts with flintlocks.

The rationale of them drawing a line at flintlocks and not including percussion cap arms escapes me to be honest, perhaps someone had a scary black one with a pistol grip or something.......

Anyway sir, if it was me I'd try to communicate with the Customs folks too, just to make sure they're up on Federal Law and then if they appear to be, I'd print out a copy of the above fact sheet to bring along with me when I crossed the medicine line.

As far as powder goes, as long as it doesn't appear you have enough to lay siege to a fishing village, I'd think they'd be okay, but again it never, ever hurts to ask the powers who control access to your hunting grounds - Canadian Border Services.

Hopefully that was useful sir, all the best to you all this spring and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The rifle is not the problem, the powder is. IF YOU FLY, it is absolutely illegal to have loose powder, or primers, on an aircraft. Period. This is an international covenant pertaining to hazardous materials on an airline. You will be put in jail over this.

If you travel by automobile, I don't know what the regulation is about carrying powder into Canada. Your best bet is to check with the Canadian authorities on this. When we went to Ontario with our Hawkens, we left the powder at home, and our outfitter had powder waiting for us in camp. Goex is readily available in Canada.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black powder is treated differently than smokeless for some regs.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Black powder is an explosive chemical. Smokeless is a "progressive burning" chemical is my understanding. I'm not sure what Goex is considered.

Hazmat all, unless confined in a cartridge.

Maybe you could pour the barrel full of powder, put a wad in the muzzle, and pass it off as a "cartridge", then on arrival, unstopper it, pour the powder out and use in amounts required......... smile

Let me know your release date, and I'll drink a Pepsi to you then.

Last edited by las; 04/16/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Actually, if you take a cartridge rifle with you as well, no one would likely know if some or all of the accompanying cartridges contain BP or Goex....

Just be sure YOU know.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hmmm. I could load a pile of 45-70 cases with loose seated bullets and take my kinetic puller with me....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by las
Black powder is an explosive chemical. Smokeless is a "progressive burning" chemical is my understanding. I'm not sure what Goex is considered.

Hazmat all, unless confined in a cartridge.

Maybe you could pour the barrel full of powder, put a wad in the muzzle, and pass it off as a "cartridge", then on arrival, unstopper it, pour the powder out and use in amounts required......... smile

Let me know your release date, and I'll drink a Pepsi to you then.

As opposed to modern smokeless gunpowder, propellants for use in muzzleloaders come in black powder varieties and non-blackpowder varieties, a/k/a black powder substitutes. Goex mfg's only original black powder propellants for use in muzzleloaders.

Last edited by sse; 05/08/18.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i say take some 3006 ammo with you filled with blackpowder- if you can make it fit, they could function as a speedloader of sorts. if that's not allowed i guess you could go to canadian tire and buy some powder once in canuckistan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a long time, guys were bringing shotshells loaded with BP and emptying them out upon arrival. Then someone bragged about it and a few were caught!!...........it's not worth it, so just contact your outfitter and ask him to buy and hold some powder for you. As an outfitter, I just made it a policy to keep and supply of powder and pellets and caps in reserve for clients of myself and others.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I looked into bringing a flintlock into Canada back in 2003 and the limit on black powder was 8 kilos! It would be wise to check with the authorities for current regulations before crossing the border with 17+ pounds though. Have fun Ay.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
The rifle is not the problem, the powder is. IF YOU FLY, it is absolutely illegal to have loose powder, or primers, on an aircraft. Period. This is an international covenant pertaining to hazardous materials on an airline. You will be put in jail over this.

If you travel by automobile, I don't know what the regulation is about carrying powder into Canada. Your best bet is to check with the Canadian authorities on this. When we went to Ontario with our Hawkens, we left the powder at home, and our outfitter had powder waiting for us in camp. Goex is readily available in Canada.

Why not just buy some in Canada?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 67 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.