Hop To
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
qwk,

Have posted most of this before, but will do so again.

I started writing for magazines over 40 years ago, back when magazines were much like newspapers, keeping editorial and advertising completely separate. The theory back then was to write to attract readers, and if the magazine attracted enough readers then advertisers would sign on, so they could reach more potential customers. As a result, magazines were always looking for new writers, and I managed to be making my entire living writing within about 6 years. Have been doing so ever since, but only relatively recently started writing for gun magazines. Instead I wrote about a variety of subjects, including history (both human and "natural"), fishing, hunting, optics and the West, for magazines including National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, and regional "general interest" magazines, along with just about every major (and some minor) hunting, shooting and fishing magazines.

But the business changed, at least somewhat, starting in the late 1980's, when a certain New York publishing company decided to please advertisers instead of readers. That was when many magazine articles started with a paragraph clumsily mentioned plenty of advertisers' products. Luckily, the magazines I wrote for didn't go that route, but these days it's harder to find ones that don't.

In fact this year I quit writing for one magazine that had been a steady market for me over the last 20 years, and a well-paying one, because instead of wanting me to write the historical and technical firearms articles I'd been doing, they wanted me to write stiff to please advertisers. (Interestingly, the publishing company that started this trend failed a couple years ago.)

I don't mind testing advertisers' products, but damn sure don't want to do it all the time, and the magazines I write allow me to pass on projects if I don't want 'em. I also retain the right to mention flaws, or even not write about the product at all if it doesn't work right.

I also often buy stuff to write about, rather than test products directly sent by manufacturers. In fact, I've purchased all three of the 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned from stores or other shooters. The one I've mentioned here, in fact, I bought from a Campfire member, who would probably be willing to confirm that. Partly I buy my own test subjects because I can then NOT write about them if they don't work, but it also allows me to really wring things out over a period of months or even years, instead of coming to a quick conclusion about some new cartridge, rifle or scope based on one sample.

But another thing that's became obvious during the last 20 years is that writers don't HAVE to write for publishers. Instead they can go directly to readers, either via the Internet or by self-publishing books. My wife's a writer too, and right now about half our income comes from our own book publishing company, plus our own on-line quarterly magazine, RIFLE LOONY NEWS. (As a matter of fact the latest edition of RIFLE LOONY NEWS just got e-mailed to its subscribers today, if any of you are reading this.)

There's no advertising in either the books or RLN, which I'd guess is partly why both are pretty popular. Yeah, I get "paid" to write both the books and the magazine, by readers paying for them.

I can’t imagine you are still answering posts on this topic. I remind you to look at your signature line.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Tejano
The 260 has 2-3 grains more capacity and the 6.5x55 around five but I see loads for the Creedmoor that are faster than either.

The powder blend is propriatery using ground up Unicorn horn.

Pah, now you are just shewing your ignorance...it is used in sticks like cordite.

But the real difference is the primer utilises rainbows like wee little rays of sunshine to ignite those sticks and negate any perceived deficiencies.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
qwk,

Have posted most of this before, but will do so again.

I started writing for magazines over 40 years ago, back when magazines were much like newspapers, keeping editorial and advertising completely separate. The theory back then was to write to attract readers, and if the magazine attracted enough readers then advertisers would sign on, so they could reach more potential customers. As a result, magazines were always looking for new writers, and I managed to be making my entire living writing within about 6 years. Have been doing so ever since, but only relatively recently started writing for gun magazines. Instead I wrote about a variety of subjects, including history (both human and "natural"), fishing, hunting, optics and the West, for magazines including National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, and regional "general interest" magazines, along with just about every major (and some minor) hunting, shooting and fishing magazines.

But the business changed, at least somewhat, starting in the late 1980's, when a certain New York publishing company decided to please advertisers instead of readers. That was when many magazine articles started with a paragraph clumsily mentioned plenty of advertisers' products. Luckily, the magazines I wrote for didn't go that route, but these days it's harder to find ones that don't.

In fact this year I quit writing for one magazine that had been a steady market for me over the last 20 years, and a well-paying one, because instead of wanting me to write the historical and technical firearms articles I'd been doing, they wanted me to write stiff to please advertisers. (Interestingly, the publishing company that started this trend failed a couple years ago.)

I don't mind testing advertisers' products, but damn sure don't want to do it all the time, and the magazines I write allow me to pass on projects if I don't want 'em. I also retain the right to mention flaws, or even not write about the product at all if it doesn't work right.

I also often buy stuff to write about, rather than test products directly sent by manufacturers. In fact, I've purchased all three of the 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned from stores or other shooters. The one I've mentioned here, in fact, I bought from a Campfire member, who would probably be willing to confirm that. Partly I buy my own test subjects because I can then NOT write about them if they don't work, but it also allows me to really wring things out over a period of months or even years, instead of coming to a quick conclusion about some new cartridge, rifle or scope based on one sample.

But another thing that's became obvious during the last 20 years is that writers don't HAVE to write for publishers. Instead they can go directly to readers, either via the Internet or by self-publishing books. My wife's a writer too, and right now about half our income comes from our own book publishing company, plus our own on-line quarterly magazine, RIFLE LOONY NEWS. (As a matter of fact the latest edition of RIFLE LOONY NEWS just got e-mailed to its subscribers today, if any of you are reading this.)

There's no advertising in either the books or RLN, which I'd guess is partly why both are pretty popular. Yeah, I get "paid" to write both the books and the magazine, by readers paying for them.

Fair enough. My question is why then do you avoid certain subjects(specifically manufacturer related), and push certain products more than others? Do you find it acceptable for a manufacturer such as Winchester to have problems with primers and sweep it under the table? Is it Ok for another manufacturer, Hornady to use those primers and not care one iota? These are very well documented issues, it's not like I'm making s h i t up. Would it be ok if one of your readers lost their eyesight to a Winchester primer? What about anbody else? Where do YOU draw the line?

You may disagree with my posts, and that's ok, but the reality is that I post about real s h i t, and even though I may be an a-hole, I wouldn't wish a face full of hot gases on the haters that post here.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by qwk
And a good thing too! If you did, somebody would be asking for their money back.

That's because advertising $$$ don't skew my perception of things....
In other words, I'm not for sale...

Maybe you got nothing to sell, nothing anyone would pay to read or hear.

Just saying.

DF
Or I don't need to sell s h i t to be somebody...

No market.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Am I detecting anger from qwk? He appears to be spoiling for a fight, although I've no idea why.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by qwk
And a good thing too! If you did, somebody would be asking for their money back.

That's because advertising $$$ don't skew my perception of things....
In other words, I'm not for sale...

Maybe you got nothing to sell, nothing anyone would pay to read or hear.

Just saying.

DF
Or I don't need to sell s h i t to be somebody...

No market.

DF
You are too cheap anyway...

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Am I detecting anger from qwk? He appears to be spoiling for a fight, although I've no idea why.

Fight? The special snowflakes here, thin skin and all, would cry about getting their hands dirty, or messing up their creedmoor man bun. Haha

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was right. grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was right. grin

Yep

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
qwk,

Gee, it just so happens that I DID write about the Winchester primer problem, and in fact searched the Internet frequently for a while, compiling a list of the lot numbers of problem primers, so I could inform readers. But I did it on the Internet, so the results would be immediately available, instead of appearing in print several months later. In fact about a third of my work is for the Internet, rather than printed media.

Have seen many post here who not only have little or even no experience with the subject at hand, yet express very firm opinions based on assumptions. Have also seen many post here who are very sure about what gun writers write, even if they've never read their work.

Many of those people, in fact, tend to lump all "gun writers" together, as if we all write exactly the same articles, about the same subjects, with the same thoughts. I ran into one of those at a gun show a few years ago, and when he discovered I was a "gun writer" (because my books were sold at a nearby table) immediately went into a rant. He started it by asking why "all you gun writers say the .270 Winchester isn't enough for African game," but didn't wait to hear my answer--which is that I've never expressed that opinion, and in fact think the .270's a fine cartridge for plains game. Instead he went on with his rant until I'd obviously quit listening, then wandered off down the aisle, probably looking for the opportunity for another rant.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's nice that you would take the time to explain it to him, but I expect he will be back to poke and prod some more. He just wants attention. I think that he has been given enough.

This is a picture of a white Himalayan yak.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by qwk
Fair enough. My question is why then do you avoid certain subjects(specifically manufacturer related), and push certain products more than others? Do you find it acceptable for a manufacturer such as Winchester to have problems with primers and sweep it under the table? Is it Ok for another manufacturer, Hornady to use those primers and not care one iota? These are very well documented issues, it's not like I'm making s h i t up. Would it be ok if one of your readers lost their eyesight to a Winchester primer? What about anbody else? Where do YOU draw the line?

You may disagree with my posts, and that's ok, but the reality is that I post about real s h i t, and even though I may be an a-hole, I wouldn't wish a face full of hot gases on the haters that post here.

CLANK

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's nice that you would take the time to explain it to him, but I expect he will be back to poke and prod some more. He just wants attention. I think that he has been given enough.

[Linked Image]

That cracked me up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
qwk,

Gee, it just so happens that I DID write about the Winchester primer problem, and in fact searched the Internet frequently for a while, compiling a list of the lot numbers of problem primers, so I could inform readers. But I did it on the Internet, so the results would be immediately available, instead of appearing in print several months later. In fact about a third of my work is for the Internet, rather than printed media.

Have seen many post here who not only have little or even no experience with the subject at hand, yet express very firm opinions based on assumptions. Have also seen many post here who are very sure about what gun writers write, even if they've never read their work.

Many of those people, in fact, tend to lump all "gun writers" together, as if we all write exactly the same articles, about the same subjects, with the same thoughts. I ran into one of those at a gun show a few years ago, and when he discovered I was a "gun writer" (because my books were sold at a nearby table) immediately went into a rant. He started it by asking why "all you gun writers say the .270 Winchester isn't enough for African game," but didn't wait to hear my answer--which is that I've never expressed that opinion, and in fact think the .270's a fine cartridge for plains game. Instead he went on with his rant until I'd obviously quit listening, then wandered off down the aisle, probably looking for the opportunity for another rant.

My apologies. I didn't know that. Kudos

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Steve;
Good evening to you sir and thanks much for the chuckle.

Well played sir, well played indeed! laugh

If you're ever out in this part of the world I owe you some sustenance of some sort Steve.

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]

That's racist

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM

True enough. But life’s too short to shoot fugly rifles, drink cheap whisky, or take ugly girls to the dance. Happy Trails

For the record, ugly girls usually fugk like banshees.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
And I thought I had started an inane post. Little did I know it would precipitate an image of the white yak.

Namaste

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In the 1870s, Nietzsche said to Chinese emperor, Zaitian, "I tire of your wife."

The emperor's retort was too vulgar to post here, but Zaitian agreed with him (Nietzshe never married). The Emperor was the first to say, "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly wife." Whereupon, the two drank tea and cursed the dying of the light. It had become too dark to hunt.

Nietzshe then said, "Darkness brings beauty to the homeliest of women. If you must bring her, do so at night."

The two laughed and decided that yak would be on the menu on the morrow.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,940
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.