Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Holston:

Here's an article that I wrote. You might find some of the info useful.

THE TRAVELING HUNTER
I went on my first out-of-state expedition in 1987 and repeated the adventure every two or three years since then. I prefer to do everything myself and reap the greater personal satisfaction and lower cost that comes from doing it myself. If I had to pay an outfitter, I couldn't afford to go as often. So all of my out-of-state hunting trips have been DIY hunts where we did all the recon and planning (that’s half the fun) and provided all of our own camping gear and food. We contracted with locals for transportation, horses, rafts, etc., but that’s about it. Over the years, I've had questions and encountered problems. I wrote down the answers and solutions and have updated the list after every trip. Here's the latest version.

You can fly or you can drive. I’ll start with challenges associated with flying. I get free airfare with my credit card and fly anywhere in North America for free at least once a year. If you have a credit card, you should make sure it’s the kind that accumulates air miles. If you want to hunt in Alaska, get an Alaska Airlines VISA card because they are the only commercial airlines that flies to Alaska hub communities.

Modern restrictions and costs associated with baggage when flying make it critical that you keep down the weight and bulk of what you take. When I fly, I think of the trip as a backpack hunt whether or not I’m actually backpacking. I assume that everything that I take will eventually end up on my back in a pack. That strategy automatically keeps the weight and bulk to a minimum.

A 100 quart Igloo or Coleman cooler is the largest that the US Postal Service will accept without charging extra for over-sized packages. Avoid wheels and small door in the top lid. The wheels make the cooler heavier and they take up room that could be filled with contents. The door makes the cooler leak in the rain. I mail a 100-quart Igloo cooler via US Postal Service. It is mostly filled with freeze-dried and dehydrated food and other disposable/consumable stuff. Make sure you insure your mail and mark your name and address on the outside with magic marker, then seal it shut with strapping tape. I have mailed two containers in both directions because airline baggage rates for a third bag are a lot higher than US Postal Service rates. Freeze your meat and put it in the cooler and carry it home as your baggage on the airplane. It will stay frozen for at least 24 hours.

On the departing trip I check only a rifle case and one large duffel bag or Duluth Bag filled with clothes and camping gear. I also take two carry-on items. One is a small hunting daypack filled mostly with travel items. The other was a small duffel bag that I leave at the trailhead or landing strip. It is filled with my first set of hunting clothes and a pair of boots. Make sure that there are no TSA prohibited items in your carry-ons.

Gun Case: needs to be very sturdy and have locks. I use a Cabelas two-gun "Bulletproof" gun case, which has endured many trips and is still going strong. There are many that aren't as good and a few that are better. I put all my fragile optics (range finder, camera, GPS, binoculars, etc.) inside the gun case along with rifle and ammo. You must declare your firearm at the ticket counter and have it inspected by TSA, then locked. Then you give it to the ticket agent at the counter. Your gun case will be delivered at a location or window separate from regular baggage.

US Postal Service: You don't want things to get lost so mark your name and address on the outside of all packages in such a way that it can't possibly get lost, torn off, etc. They will accept some really odd looking packages so long as they are within certain dimensional restrictions. I have mailed two sets of caribou antlers via US Postal Service and they both arrived in perfect condition. Cut the skull plate in half and nest one antler inside the other, tape them together and cover all the points with cardboard and duct tape. It looks really awkward but works fine. I also mail back my large duffel bag full of clothes and camping gear. I used the same cooler to carry frozen meat, as my luggage on the plane and I mailed my gear home, again with USPS. I froze the meat, put it in the cooler and it was still frozen when I got home.

I’ve flown and camped on all of my Alaska hunts, three trips onto Mount McKinley and a bunch of trips in the lower forty-eight. You really have to know what you are doing and be very organized, if you are flying to a remote spot in Alaska and you better have good gear because if something fails, you don’t have any backup. Colorado (or any of the western states) is more forgiving because you can hike out and drive to a local sporting goods store to replace something that you forgot or something that broke or failed.

If you are flying to Colorado, you will still need a 4x4 vehicle to get from the airport to the trailhead, or camp spot. A pickup is best but it’s hard to find a company that rents pickups. Most of the major car rental companies, at the airports, offer Jeeps or SUVs and that’s a good way to go. You will need more cargo space than what’s available in a Jeep, so rent a trailer like a U-Haul. You’ll also need chains for all four tires because we can get deep snow in any of the rifle seasons and when they get wet, some of the roads get real slippery. Generally I fly only when I have a local contact with a vehicle.

If you live close enough that you can get to your destination in a couple of days, then do yourself a favor and drive your own 4x4 vehicle. You'll be grateful that you did once you've arrived. Things are different when you are driving from out-of-state. You can carry more gear than you can if you are flying, so weight and bulk is not as critical. Since you can carry more gear, you can setup a better, more comfortable base camp. You also have the vehicle as an emergency backup if a tent fails. Remember that you have to stay on established roads, usually US Forest Service roads, and that in a designated wilderness area nothing with a wheel or motor is allowed. A lot of people will drive to the end of a dirt road at or near a wilderness area boundary, camp there, and hike in from there.

I use an MSR Whisperlite or Dragonfly stove for cold weather and MSR Pocket Rocket or Optimus Crux Isobutane stove for warm weather. I use propane appliances when base camping.

For base camping I use an REI Base Camp-6 tent as a group cook shack and a Cabelas Instinct-6 tent as a group dormitory. I use to setup a big wall tent and occasionally I still do. The dome tent takes up less room when packed, is lighter, and is easier to setup and break down. But it’s not big enough to use a wood burning stove like a wall tent. So I use a Buddy heater in the cook shack and good sleeping bags and mattresses in the other tent. There are always trade-offs. When backpack hunting, I use and Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 tent. That’s a 3-season, 2-man tent that weighs about 3 1/3#.

If it's warm, you will have to be concerned with keeping your meat from spoiling while waiting to return to the bush community. We put our meat in game bags, keep it clean and hang it in the shade, covered by a tarp to keep the birds away. IUt will freeze solid during the first night and stay frozen until you leave. I’ve seen other hunters had place their meat in a side braid of the river so that the cold water kept the meat cool. We also used Game Saver citric acid spray. You mix the powder with water in a spray bottle and it works great. I ordered it over the Internet from Indian Valley Meat Co., in Indian Valley, AK. http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/about.htm

Make sure you have USGS maps of your hunting area, a compass, and a GPS. The GPS is not a substitute for a map and compass. Use it to augment your map and compass. Mark your camp or pickup as a waypoint in your GPS so you can always find your way back in the dark, in the fog, or in a raging blizzard.

I use Leupold 12x50 binoculars. My buddy uses Swarovsky 15x56 binos mounted on a tripod. I’ve seen him spot a black bear from five miles away. We both use chest harnesses to ensure that our binos are accessible all the time.

I use T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 rifle with Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40 scope and Warne rings when I hunt in Alaska or when hunting elk in Colorado. I use a T/C Venture 25-06 with a Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS scope when backpack hunting for Coues deer in southern Arizona.

My buddy takes some T.T.C. (Taxidermy Trophy Compound) https://www.bringmin.com/catalog/index.php and uses it to treat the capes in the field. It’s lighter than salt. If you are not returning home immediately, put some “Stop Rot” on the cape. Once I left mine at the meat processor for two weeks and instructed them to keep it frozen. They put it in a cooler (not a freezer) and it was ruined.

I have carried home meat several times on trips that took a couple days to drive. I filled the 100 quart cooler with meat and covered the meat with ice. When you first put the meat in the cooler it is body-temperature warm so it melts a lot of ice. The next morning, drain out the water and put in more ice and it will keep for several days without any additional maintenance. You can always buy more ice at a convenience store along the way. I think game meat tastes better when the blood has been soaked out of it and this process accomplishes that task automatically. The meat of a big bull elk will fill two 100 quart coolers. Including the ice, a caribou, mule deer, axis deer, or big whitetail deer will fill one 100 quart cooler. You can use a smaller cooler when hunting antelope.

You need to own all your gear and be an experienced camper. You need to know what you are doing in the wilderness, must be self-sufficient and know how to survive when everything goes wrong. Have a backup plan, contingency for emergencies. Expect some gear to break or fail and be ready to repair it or adapt to do without it. Expect someone to get injured or sick and be prepared to care for them.

The biggest obstacle that you will face is thinking that you can't do it on your own. You can. If I can do it, so can you.

Good luck, have a great adventure and a safe hunt.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
$2000 is not realistic for an unguided non resident elk hunt in MT and probably not for deer either. I know of a good guided elk and deer hunt that I have done several times that goes for about $5k for the tag and hunt. Gas and other expense would be on top of this.

Last edited by BWalker; 05/17/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I learned elk hunting by myself took a few years but we have done well bow and rifle seasons just son and myself on public land,no guides and with pride too.last year my son shot a monster typical bull elk 380 B.C. with his bow and arrow ,I got a big cow with my bow on public land too, no guides either, you can learn to do it yourself too takes time but you will have much more satisfaction and pride if you do it yourself. I have a friend who went on a guided elk hunt in new mexico with 5 other guys each spent $ 12,000.00 they shot and tagged 3 little bulls for the 6 of them. Son and I have bowhunted the last 3 years together 20i5-2016-2017 shot 3 bulls and 2 cows and our smallest bull is bigger than any of those guys 3 bulls that went to new mexico. All`s my son and myself spent was for a non- resident elk license,gas and food less than $4000.00 total for the both of us for 2 weeks ! those 6 new mexico elk boys spent 6 x $12,000.00 = $72,000.00 for 10 day guided hunt. good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 05/17/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
KC covered it well! Some of our Colorado elk crew comes from VA and AL. We have hunted the same ranch for 15 years ( me 13) and total expenses run about $3,500 each, less if you share transportation. I figure I spend a little less with one day less on the road both directions with me coming from Washington State. That includes elk and deer or cow elk tag. I think a single species hunt could be pulled off for $2500 and not much less. I don’t do backcountry camping anymore at my age. Comfort is good, game harvest is a plus. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.