Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a nice blued handgun more than most. But in this case there is two many model 66’s around with no Hilary hole. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Aggreed...until they loose the hole all my revolver money goes to Ruger.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At 60 years of age I don't have the luxury of waiting for S&W to do away with the lock. I really like the L comp 586, but I understand it uses mooners. Which is more of a deal breaker for me than the lock. I don't think the new 3 inch K comp does. If that's the case I'm all in for one.

Last edited by Lee_Woiteshek; 05/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
At 60 years of age I don't have the luxury of waiting for S&W to do away with the lock. I really like the L comp 586, but I understand it uses mooners. Which is more of a deal breaker for me than the lock. I don't think the new 3 inch K comp does. If that's the case I'm all in for one.

There are pre-lock L-Comps out there, and IIRC they don't require moon clips.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I like a nice blued handgun more than most. But in this case there is two many model 66’s around with no Hilary hole. Hasbeen

Exactly. I've got one of the pre-83 editions, and wouldn't think of getting one with the hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got 6 357’s and these are my favorites. Hasbeen

[Linked Image]

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Glad S&W is bringing a new version of the M-19. I’ll keep my original. Like it to shoot occasionally with 357 loads.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my 19-2 snubby is probably my favorite handgun. it is unreal accurate for such a short barrel.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My favorite 357’s are M-19’s

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was my first handgun, and I always have a soft spot for a model 19. To me, if they're going to bring it back, they should go full on M-19. Recessed cylinder, pinned barrel at the very least. Since the lockwork is MIM I know we'll never see target trigger & target hammer ever again...but it would be nice. The target trigger would be a worthwhile MIM investment since the K, L, & N frame all use the same trigger.

Anyhow, to me it's not a M-19 unless it's a -4 or earlier.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
19s have gained value more than any other model S&Ws I have seen in a while

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I came across a S&W 19-3, 4" barrel, revolver (mfg.1974) about 3 years ago at a pawn shop that was priced very low.
I had no idea what it really was but I bought it on the spot. Then I put it away until someone recently
inquired about it and wants to buy or trade for it.

I kind of knew what I had from some approximate values from GunBroker and Gunshows - I knew it was in extremely
good condition, but I only recently looked at it for any mark or imperfection - and it is definitely never fired and IMO - Perfect!
Only the faintest trace of a partial cylinder line. It has the wide target hammer & trigger, large walnut grips - The only thing missing is the box.

I recently messaged RJM about my M 19-3 as to its value and for his perspective, I'm glad I did, or I might have traded it away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That new 3" version sounds interesting, as it is basically impossible to find an original 3" Model 19. But of course it will have the IL, and I already have a 3" 686 plus.

Tim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 19-3 that I love. It has the 4-inch barrel, and I found an old pair of bakelight or plastic large grips for it just like the wood S&W target grips. It rides lightly and easily. I also have an original model Colt Trooper with the 4-inch barrel that was stolen years ago. I got it back after it had been gone about 10 years...shockingly. It was in bad shape bu my brother was going through Yavapai College's gunsmithing program and needed an old-style Colt DA to work on as course requirement. He replaced the hammer that had been poorly bobbed, beadblasted it as it had some rust pits that were deep enough that removing them would have polished out the Colt pony, and did a complete action job. I put a pair of Herrett custom-made Trooper grips on it and I love it too. It was an inheritance from an uncle.

But - the 19 is so much handier.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RJM

Mine goes to older, no-hole, Smiths.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by RJM

Yep. Nothing wrong with Rugers at all, but I prefer the classic Smith & Wessons (not the "Classic" but the classic).

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
when i went to running patrol in the early 70's, you had a choice, you had to buy your weapon. Ruger, smith or Colt. Couldn't afford the colt, so it was a model 19 four inch. I have fired thousands of rounds of 38special out of it, maybe one box at best of magnums. still tight as a drum.
in a hidely hole, there is an unfired 4inch, and six inch with the original bills of sale from early 70's, probably won't be fired in my life time.
then a little 2inch snubbie, i have shot it.
I have found really nothing that fit my hand as well as a 19.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by RJM

...I should have said "new" revolver money goes to Ruger. My "used" DA revolver money still goes to older Smiths...

One of the Posters over on the S&W forums was doing his yearly retired LE qualification and one of the guys there had an original 3" 19. The guy offered to buy it but the owner declined saying it was going to his son...

My first centerfire handgun was a 4" blue 19-3. In the 10 years I had it put 20K rounds through it...only 6 of which were .38s. I've had two more since but find that the 3" 66 balances better for me...

Many years ago I had an original 3" CarryComp in my hands and passed on it. At the time it was $650.00. I saw one for sale a few months ago in a shop that I go to and it was $1300....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
an exfriend, got to where i couldn't stand him anymore, use to give me a lot of grief about prefering older smiths to the new ones, hilleryhole and all. His comment was the new ones were so much better made. Okay, until the day came when he decided he wanted a 38special/357mag.
i laid out a couple brand new in the box from the 70's, and a new classic 29, and said just compare them. I don't think he saw what i saw, i had to explain the differences.
The kicker came when he wanted to buy one of the 19's, for the same price i paid years and years ago. I don't think so.
my wife's gun is a 66 four inch used to be carried on the local sheriff's posse. Has had a trigger job. Only thing i never like were the smooth hogue grips the former owner put on it, i replaced those. I paid 150bucks for that gun, holster, and about 500rounds of wadcutters.
She has fired that on ccw renewals, and generally waxed most of the male shooters on the line. It's still sweet. And no, i aint gonna sell it for 150bucks.

I wish i had a 3inch to allow for speed loaders. I have been popping a few rounds with a cast keith 170 grain, that works just about perfect.
But i dont want to pay 1300 either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 6 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,471
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.