Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I asked my son what he’d like to do on a father/son and he said fish Canada. I looked at various options and based upon timing and cost decided to car camp and fish various bodies of water.

We’ll be crossing the border at the Soo and won’t have a boat. I am thinking we’d enjoy the country up by Searchmont where I haven’t been in years, but unsure about access & fishing rules.

I’m a troutaholic but with my son would be happy catching anything anywhere.

Is there anyone here who could help me on these questions? We’re leaving in 3 weeks and will be up there until Tuesday morning so have three-ish days to fish.

Thanks a lot,

Efw

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For six years I fished the area North of Terrace Bay, five hours West of the Soo. For the main lake, Long Lake, we had a boat but also drove to other small lakes and rivers and fished fron the shore. My advice is you need a boat. We started putting a small boat with a 10hp on some of those smaller lakes and success improved drastically. Also gets you away from the swarms of mosquitos on the shore. I have been fishing Crystal Beach Resort, two hours East of International Falls, for the past four years. $50 per person per night for a cabin and they will rent you a boat for $95 a day. They also have camping options.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Opposite direction, but the rainbow and walleye fishing are fantastic in the Lake Erie town of Erieau. Fishing always seemed to be great there in mid July. I realize it's not in your time frame now, but you may want to think about it as a future trip. Lots of charters in the harbor. I used to tow my boat from St. Clair Shores, and stay the weekend over there.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ontario has more lakes than a man could fish in a lifetime. The advise on having a boat is good.

Good luck fishing, and be sure to wear a PFD on the water!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hy, New here, don't know you personally, age shape, etc?! If you can get the book, ontario road maps, east, north, west, different books for different regions. You can pick a lake in the area your headed to & plan from there. Canoe or small car topper will make things much easier. Check out the logging roads, they go by many small lakes not mentioned in some books, also, some logging roads may be grown in just so ya know. Don't go by the fact that it has a boat launch, I drove past one for years figuring (ramp) over fished!!! Wrong, caught a nice lake trout at one when I was in a hurry once. Who new???!!! I'm not really familiar with the area your going but hope this helps out. GET FISHING REGs., check the lakes yr planning on going to. Our regs are ridiculous, special lakes, slot sizes, etc. May want to take yr lawyer with u! LOL. Good luck!!!! Bill I'm out, 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣

IC B2

Fishing is such a lovely hunt mission. Heating and Cooling Toronto Your son will be happy.

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks a lot y’all I appreciate your insights. Looking at Garden & Goulais Rivers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.