Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Our 15 year old son was one of the top 20% of football athletes that received a coveted invitation to attend Top Gun, an elite showcase camp that also can lead to an invitation to play on the Army All American team. We'll be flying into Charleston the first week of July and want to spend some time visiting what I've heard is a beautiful antebellum city. We'd like to spend a few days there before driving to Rock Hill S.C.

Any advice on places to stay, eat and places to visit would be appreciated. The campfire has yet to steer me wrong so this is the first place I turn for advice.

Thanks in advance.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Oh man....you'll love Charleston! The city just oozes history out of its pores. We usually stay out of town a ways to reduce motel costs. If that is not an issue, in-town motels abound. Eating....Good Lord, good restaurants everywhere. I'd look at Hank's, Charleston Crab House, Bowen's Island (out in the boonies). Hyman's is good but "touristy" . They place engraved plates on tables where celebs ate...I sat in Barbara Strisand's chair, Neil Diamond's and someone elses one time. Wifey sat in Mel Gibson's chair, James Brown's and....John McCain's.

Ft. Sumter is good to visit. Lots of area plantations. Patriot's Point (aircraft carrier Yorktown).

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/

https://bowensisland.com/

PM me if more info is needed. Congrats to your son!!!

Last edited by Godogs57; 05/23/18.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Start downtown at the battery, then walk around and enjoy. Many of the houses in the historic district offer tours. As Godogs57 said, tour at least one of the plantations. They are amazing.

You won't run out of stuff to do and see in a week. I love that town. If you enjoy it, there is actually more of Savannah preserved than Charleston. You'll want to take a trip there someday as well.

Give your son a well deserved pat on the back from the campfire, and have fun in the old south!

Oh yeah.....DO NOT leave without seeing the H.L. Hunley, a confederate submarine. That's right, no chit! A confederate submarine!!!!!
https://www.hunley.org/weekend-tour...campaign=branding%20in-market%20expanded

Last edited by gregintenn; 05/23/18.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Visit The Citadel too. BAttery is a small area, lots of restaurants and gift shops, lots of history,
Fort Sumter..

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to like "Craw Daddies", a Cajun restaurant, when I was stationed there- have fun.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slightly North of Broad for eats. if i could find the matchbook i got there i could give address but it is just north of broad street.
Modern Southern & Lowcountry cuisine served in an airy, 18th-century warehouse.
Address: 192 E Bay St, Charleston, SC

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/24/18.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The aquarium there is pretty nice.
In July, though, you may HATE the place due to the humidity. It's awful m

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
As usual a great bunch of feedback and I truly appreciate you men taking the time to give me some great advice. I've always enjoyed my time in the south, great people, great food and amazing history so what's not to love. The heat and humidity is something I couldn't live with but for a couple weeks I'll survive and with everything to do, see and eat I won't even notice that I'm melting.

We're really looking forward to South Carolina since none of us have been there.

GoDogs...I'll pass along your congrats to my son. He was pretty proud (as was mom since she teared up when he got his Top Gun ticket and I am too). As we get some details hashed out in the next couple weeks I might reach out and have some questions for you.

If anyone is in the area and time allows I'd be honored to buy a couple rounds at anyplace of your choosing.

Thanks again guys!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Also since I'm a hopeless junky any fishing guides for a saltwater trip might be in order. I've left momma and the chirren early mornings on many trips to go fishing and this may be another one of those times that I indulge myself. 😀

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll like Charleston. I like SC period but I'm moving back to NC, I've begun the process. I miss it too much.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
call Cantey Smith (google fishing guides) and he will put you on the fish... spot tails, flounder, sheepshead etc... lots to do down here

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
82 Queen St is a wonderful restaurant to try.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Also since I'm a hopeless junky any fishing guides for a saltwater trip might be in order. I've left momma and the chirren early mornings on many trips to go fishing and this may be another one of those times that I indulge myself. 😀

Charleston has plenty of good fishing opportunities. Georgetown, just a hop skip and a jump up the road has a little bit more fishing. The ACE basin has some fantastic inshore fishing all over the place too.

Tell your friends in Washington goodbye...you might not come back. Tell your son to talk with my buddy Kirby at UGA before he signs on the dotted line in the future! Go Dawgs!👍

http://www.acebasin.net/fishing.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.kaminskys.com/home

For dessert every night😀.

Skip Hymans. Bad food and worse service. It may have been the only place in Charleston that was a disappointment.

We also enjoyed just walking or driving around and looking at old buildings and homes. Little different there than Wyoming.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go to the Hunley Museum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrimp and grits. Enough said.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go eat anywhere on Shem Creek. I like staying on the Isle of Palms. For a great fishing guide check out Captain Richard Sport Fishing - fished the harbor jetties with him last June and again two weeks ago. He'll pick you up at Johns Island or Shem Creek - great day fishing both time. A great seafood place is The Boathouse at the Breach Inlet bridge between Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms. Ate there two weeks ago and my folks went last week - good seafood. Have fun.

https://www.facebook.com/Captain-Richard-109335155769900/

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go to the fort its cool

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 44mc
go to the fort its cool

Yes, it is worth visiting.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes! Shem Creek...how did I forget that? Just ate there a month ago. Great food also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 52 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,644
Posts18,474,529
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.