Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Son was stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter for 3 years. Never made it to Charleston, so cannot give specific locations. However, as noted several times above, try one of the low country boils. Good grub. Never went away hungry. Also as noted above, get your boy hydrated. It will get a "little sticky" in SC in July.

Finally, tell your boy "Congrats" on a significant accomplishment. Best wishes for a good work out / try out. And, congrats to his parents for raising a fine young man. Tough thing to do in the current environment.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I spent a lot of time down there over the years. Other than the historical stuff, Charleston itself is not my style. Anytime you get a spot gone tourist and metropolitan, you lose the Southern in it. My favorite three restaurants down there are not actually in Charleston.

Melvin's in Mt. Pleasant for BBQ is #1. BBQ came through this part of the country first. Immigrants to SC perfected it with mustard sauce.

Seewee's is a trip out to Awendaw for seafood. If you want to check she-crab soup off the list, Seewee's is the spot to do it. The Seewee Center probably still has red wolves to look at. Take a gander before they're completely extinct.

Third on the list is Jack's Cosmic Dogs. While the first two were specific to the area , Jack's is just good. Blue cheese slaw dogs and fresh cut fries in peanut oil? Can't beat it with a stick.

There would be a fourth, but Gullah Cuisine closed. There are other soul food establishments in the area, but they tend more toward Southern soul food than representing Gullah food. Still, don't skip one advertising Gullah cuisine if you see it.

This man is in the know except for the BBQ, everyone here knows BBQ is vinegar not mustard, it will do when vinegar is not available. Rodney Scotts BBQ downtown is good, Seewee Resturant is great, it's 3 miles from my hunting club.Isle of Palm and Sullivan's Island both have good beaches 15 minutes north in Mt Pleasant.

Jack's Comic Dog is good, shame Gullah closed, but one of my favorites is The Wreck, lots of locals, cash only and located at Shem Creek,Red's and Water's Edge were good last time I ate there.

From high$$$ to low $

Husk
Magnolias
Hymans
Hanks
Seewee Resuarant
The Wreck of Richard and Charlene
Rodney Scotts
Cosmic Dog

Fort Sumter, Pariots Point has a Viet Nam fire base replica and the MOH museum, and the Yorktown aircraft carrier along with a sub and 2 more naval ships.

Hunley is at the naval Base in N. Charleston .

Osceola's grave at the fort on Sllivan's island.

If you want to fish inshore call Haddrells Point tackle shop, Mike Able and his son are both guides, or call The Charleston Angler and ask for a recommendation, lot'sof guides, can't recommend any but the Ables and Capt. Fritz. I fish myself there with no guide and do very well. Lot's of the offshore boats are tied up with the Governor's Cup billfish tourney right now. Teaser II with Mark Brown is good for deep water snapper and grouper, some dolphin and tuna.

Hope it is a pleasant trip for you and your family, I am sure I have left some things out and didn't agree with everything mentioned here but everyone had great suggestions. Hopefully ya'll will be here long enough to enjoy the hospitality the Low Country has to offer. I certainly appreciate being raised and living there for many, many years until a transfer to the upstate, but return every chance to hunt and fish.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My wife wants to thank you for your noteworthy suggestions. She was wondering....

What towns outside of Charleston are safe and maybe close to the beach?

Good beaches?

Towns outside of the city that makes for a good home base while we take day trips. I'm not averse to driving, just traffic. šŸ˜€

You may want to rent a condo on homeaway. Somewhere like Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, or Isle of Palms. There really isn't much of a bad area of Charleston that I've found.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One hour north...Pawleys Island. Best beach around. Family owns a house on the water there...Heaven

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Made it to Charleston yesterday afternoon. Weā€™re staying at Shem Creek and absolutely love the location. Thunderstorms just moving through now which cooled it down a bit. As we suspected once again we enjoy the southern hospitality and food. Southern women seem to be, in general terms, more put together than their fat slobby northern counterparts. No fat assed mud sharks wearing pajamas walking around with a chip on their shoulder as big as their ass. šŸ˜ Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty around but I havenā€™t seen any yet. Mostly just women in bikinis dancing drunk on the bow of Contenders and Gradyā€™s. Just went to Haddrellā€™s Tackle and poked around and Iā€™ll be stopping by again next week before heading home. We are only here (South Carolina) for a week for the invitational showcase camp but next year weā€™ll be spending more time here. Thereā€™s just too much to do and see that we wonā€™t even scratch the surface. Next year we might do some house hunting for a winter home. 8 months in Alaska and 4 months here would be about perfect since fishing seems to be what this area is all about.

For those of you that graciously offered suggestions I thank you and I love your beautiful area. While Iā€™m not a hot weather guy I do believe that my wife and I fit in good with the locals and have made friends quickly. Regular people are regular people no matter where you go and politeness is never out of style.

Tomorrow weā€™re off to Rock Hill and weā€™ll venture into North Carolina so that the kids can check another state off their list. I donā€™t think anything is as much fun as traveling and making memories with loved ones.

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't been there in years, but Charleston is the "ritzy" south. You ain't gotta go far to find all the fatazz, biscuit eatin', well fare mommas, you'd ever care to see!

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun and good luck to the boy!

ā€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.ā€
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Haven't been there in years, but Charleston is the "ritzy" south. You ain't gotta go far to find all the fatazz, biscuit eatin', well fare mommas, you'd ever care to see!

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun and good luck to the boy!

Lol....thatā€™s kinda what I figured. Iā€™ve always lived in ā€œritzyā€ areas because I have nothing in common with welfare, biscuit eaters. I love the geographical differences this great nation provides and I love seeing that white conservatives are NOT an anomaly. If the liberals want another civil war theyā€™d be in a world of hurt since quiet conservatives are more prevalent than they realize. From sea to shining sea this country will be righted by those quiet, hard working, conservatives. šŸ‘

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
welcome to SC, just stumbled on this. Reds is great place to eat if at shem creek. You can watch all the women on the paddleboards, just make sure the wife isn't watching lol. If not mentioned previously, go on a few of the tours, ghost, carriage ride etc. If you like history, you'll learn a lot. We were down for a wedding last weekend and I took the family to fort sumter. Hadnt been since I was a kid. Patriots point can take up a whole day if you like military stuff. The Aquarium is nice as well as the military museum. Lots of great stuff to do around Charleston and Georgetown. If in Georgetown, stop at the River Room on front street. Very good food. While in rock Hill, stop in Nichols Store. My buddies inlaws are part owners. Lots of nice hunting and fishing stuff.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Honestly one of the best things to do in the Lowcountry of SC is get in the car and just drive. Roll up and down 17 and check out Hampton Plantation(home of Archibald Rutledge), Old ST James Church, Mcclellanville (where parts of Forrest Gump was filmed, Mepkin Abbey(monks corner), Boon Hall Plantation on 17. As far as beach close to Charleston, hard to beat Folly.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We went out to the old fort that guarded the harbor. Interesting history to it. Ed k

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Phoneman, Thanks for all the tips. Just had a late lunch and getting ready to take a drive. Weā€™re going to plan a longer stay next year since this place fits us like a glove. The people, scenery and food are as good as anywhere Iā€™ve been.

Iā€™ll report back a little later but I do appreciate all your informed suggestions.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You should have seen how nice it was 30 years ago, before the invasion.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Headed to Pawley's Island tomorrow....as close to heaven as you can get without dying.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Man this place is awesome! Tiki bars everywhere and everyone has a drink in their hand. No obnoxious or stupid drunks, great food and endless choices. Charleston is the coolest city that weā€™ve been to and akin to an adult Disneyland. The bigger boats on Shem creek have their lights on and the party is kicking. Staying here in the middle of the fun I thought would be loud last night but it wasnā€™t. Itā€™s busy tonight being a Friday but everyone is civilized. I havenā€™t seen any cops nor has there been any reason for them to be here since the adults are acting their age despite getting a buzz on and having fun.

Weā€™re already planning for next year, thereā€™s just too much to do in our short stay.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Knew you'd like it Aces.....

So when do you plan on moving to SC now? I'll be glad to help you out interpreting the nuances of Southern Culture if you need help. Secret handshake, how to scratch yourself properly in a crowd, how to blow gnats off your face with your lower lip pooched just right. Remember the assorted bugs there love fresh meat, especially from far away places. Always....always...when introduced to someone there, begin your conversation with "How's ya mama an dem?".....it breaks the ice, so to speak, when talking with folks. Headed through Charleston tomorrow on the way to Pawleys....I'll honk and wave if I see y'all.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Man this place is awesome! Tiki bars everywhere and everyone has a drink in their hand. No obnoxious or stupid drunks, great food and endless choices. Charleston is the coolest city that weā€™ve been to and akin to an adult Disneyland. The bigger boats on Shem creek have their lights on and the party is kicking. Staying here in the middle of the fun I thought would be loud last night but it wasnā€™t. Itā€™s busy tonight being a Friday but everyone is civilized. I havenā€™t seen any cops nor has there been any reason for them to be here since the adults are acting their age despite getting a buzz on and having fun.

Weā€™re already planning for next year, thereā€™s just too much to do in our short stay.

...then you simply have to check out Savannah, Georgia sometime.

Southern folk get an undeserved bad rap.

Last edited by gregintenn; 07/07/18.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Iā€™d like to know the secret handshake but have done pretty good so far. We made it to Rock Hill and just getting settled in to the hotel. One thing this western boy noticed is that the scenery doesnā€™t change much. A 3 hour drive back home could go from temperate rainforest to sub-alpine to desert in that amount of time. Also not much change in elevation which is fine since my head cold prevents me from equalizing. šŸ˜ I havenā€™t met anyone yet that wasnā€™t pleasant and polite.

Iā€™ve heard that Savannah is beautiful and thatā€™s on our short list but Charleston/Mt. Pleasant had everything I need and fishing seems to be very popular and accessible which is all I need, ultimately.

I donā€™t know why the south would get a bad rap since Iā€™ve always felt welcome and at ease in the south. Charleston is definitely a place weā€™ll investigate more as far as house hunting goes. We could easily spend a part of the year down here fishing and eating (my drinking days are behind me for the most part šŸ˜).

I have always enjoyed traveling this country and this area is so rich with history that the family had to listen to me giving them a history lesson for the last 3 hours as we imagined what privations the Civil War soldiers had to endure.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this thread and our experience in your beautiful corner of our country. God bless!

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'm glad to hear that you are having fun down here. I'm in Charleston right now myself, just a bit south of where you stayed. I have been fortunate to spend much of my life on the Carolina coast. Like much of the south, it is a special place with special culture. On of the posts above is spot on about the invasion. Things were certainly better several years ago. Too many folks down here now. Charleston is among my favorite places on the coast. I'll keep my favorite to myself! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just worked there a week a couple weeks back.

Didn't get much time to do anything except work...but did eat at one great place I'll definitely hit again if I'm ever back.

It was called Lolas. Best Etouffee I've had in a very long time.

http://lolaparkcircle.com/

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spent quite a bit of time in the early 70's at the Charleston Navy Base - fast attack submarine... Truly a great place to visit. The restaurants along Shem Creek were outstanding and it was possible to get today's catch of shrimp right off of the boats.

I have wanted to take my wife there on vacation - Middletown (SP?) Place plantation and to Magnolia Gardens. The Hunley is a must as is Fort Sumpter. Hope you are having a great time!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (batch, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 12 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,054
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.