-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brasso. It's like a mix of ammonia and JB borebrite.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kwg020
Brasso. It's like a mix of ammonia and JB borebrite.
kwg

That sounds great. Do you put a clothespin on your nose. ?

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Wipe out, Patch out. Simply works the best and doesn't smell ammonia nasty. Run two patches thru, come back in 20 mins, couple of dry patches, couple more wet patches and sit for 20.

Repeat if needed. No need for scrubbing with brushes!

Honestly with the number of rounds you put thru each year just about any of the usual suspects will work fine.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Read the link carefully and see where your favorite bore cleaner comes in .Coretac does not make cleaning solvents by the way. I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.

Let me attach this once again

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=Oldelkhunter] I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.[quote]

Must have been an old penny. The US mint stopped making solid copper pennies in 1982.

RAN

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RAN
[quote=Oldelkhunter] I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.[quote]

Must have been an old penny. The US mint stopped making solid copper pennies in 1982.

RAN

Don't know what year it is , the KG12 dissolved it and best of all it doesn't stink or destroy bores if left in them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ned
Wipe out, Patch out. Simply works the best and doesn't smell ammonia nasty. Run two patches thru, come back in 20 mins, couple of dry patches, couple more wet patches and sit for 20.

Repeat if needed. No need for scrubbing with brushes!

Honestly with the number of rounds you put thru each year just about any of the usual suspects will work fine.

Iā€™m in no hurry. Set my rifle in a cradle and run a patch thru barrel with patchout. At night before I go to bed run a dry patch thru. And recoat with patch out. Next morning dry patch. Keep up till clean. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
[quote=RAN][quote=Oldelkhunter] I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.

RAN

Don't know what year it is , the KG12 dissolved it and best of all it doesn't stink or destroy bores if left in them.

I used to use KG12, but if memory serves, it etches the bore.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StudDuck
[quote=RAN][quote=Oldelkhunter] I put KG12 on a tarnished penny and it dissolved half of it in no time at all.

RAN

Nope no ammonia

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For 7mm. 6.5CM, .308, .270, 5.56, 7.62 etc. am of the Copper Equilibrium School, so I don't remove copper as there is never "excess", just what is needed. Hoppes #9 and CLP. Tetra on bolt lugs.

12 ga. Brenneke slugs...Hoppes #9 and CLP.

In my .44s and 45-70s I NEVER shoot anything but cast lead and the bullets are correctly sized to the bore, so just using Hoppes #9 for cleaning and Break Free CLP for very light lube and metal protection. Metal is sealed with Tetra for sliding surfaces.

Even with thorough cleaning I come back a week or two later and run a caliber specific RamRodz down every bore to see if it picks up anything.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

RAN

Nope no ammonia

Must be thinking of something else I used in the past. I will give KG12 credit, it's a good copper remover.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

RAN

Nope no ammonia

Must be thinking of something else I used in the past. I will give KG12 credit, it's a good copper remover.

It's the best , nothing even close. I use Wipeout when I don't want to use brushes and patches.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
For 7mm. 6.5CM, .308, .270, 5.56, 7.62 etc. am of the Copper Equilibrium School, so I don't remove copper as there is never "excess", just what is needed. Hoppes #9 and CLP. Tetra on bolt lugs.

Help me out: what is the Copper Equilibrium School?

How much is the tuition per quarter? Where do I mail my transcripts?

Last edited by shaman; 05/17/18.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
lol, training is available but it looks complicated....

Copper Equilibrium

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ned
lol, training is available but it looks complicated....
Copper Equilibrium

Google searches are only as good as the search terms.

See Here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Refresh my memory again; KG12 does not produce a blue color when reacting with copper, it produces a tan or brownish color, correct?

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/18/18.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Refresh my memory again; KG12 does not produce a blue color when reacting with copper, it produces a tan or brownish color, correct?

Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KG-12 is in a class by itself for dissolving Copper, but its best use is to get Kroil a toe hold under the Copper, so the brush can sweep it out in chunks.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...break_in_barrels.pdf?5242045189986305547

My system [loosly based on Walt Berger's system 18 years ago] is:
1) Moly coat the bullets, not in a medium, but in a plastic container put in the Thumler's Tumbler.
2) Bore coat the barrels and fire them a few times.
3) Clean bore with powder solvent on a patch.
4) Dry patch
5) KG12 on a patch
6) wait 5 minutes
7) Dry patch.
8) 20 strokes (Kroil and Flitz) or (Witches Brew) on a bronze brush (of diameter greater than groove diameter, check brush diameter often.)
9) wait 5 minutes
10) 20 strokes (Kroil and Flitz) or (Witches Brew) on a bronze brush (of diameter greater than groove diameter, check brush diameter often.)
11) Alcohol on a patch
12) dry patch
13) Inspect bore at muzzle with magnification and a light.
14) If an Copper is seen return to step 5), if perfectly clean return to shooting

My system does not have to believe in break in to do it. It is agnostic.

I made a video tonight on how to make a bore inspection light for cheap. Shove the light transmitting fiber optic up the breech, look into the muzzle with magnification. At the focal point you should see how well the bore was lapped. The inspection for Copper at the muzzle is done at an angle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
šŸ‘šŸ¼

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a two bore scopes.

I have noticed that the soaking solutions seem to be very lacking in their ability to remove carbon deposit when 40 or more shots have been fired through the barrel...soaking.

Now use those same soaking solutions with good bronze bristle brushes, you will get the carbon out. Copper is easy to get out with the soaking solutions.

Typically when I examine a barrel when a guy has been soaking only, the barrel is usually black with carbon from one end to another...patches were coming out with only a slight trace of grey and the barrel was loaded with carbon to where accuracy was effected.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.