Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You would think they could have dropped the sail.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The local Scheel's has a kayak with more options than a New Orlean's hooker. Listed price is about $4,000....

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I was kidding about the pfd as i have one also. I thought i would see if you said it was for use when it rolls.

I could use one of those Hobies at times but our Texas lakes mostly have Texas waves. wink

So, how hard is it to right that thing if it rolls in 15 ft of water? Those peddles would be nice to have when the troll battery runs down. smile

I wonder if big gators ever mess with those things. Brackish bays and lake headwaters here also have Texas gators. frown

I rolled a sailboat with my son. (Turned turtle) and got to teach him how to right it in deep water. A sudden gust of wind from a new direction, and a jammed pulley for the sheet, and over we went. It was a Super Porpoise. (Basicly an overgrown surfboard with a cockpit and sail.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been looking at kayaks to fish out of but there are so many choices out there and it appears a couple of rod holders adds quite a bit to the cost. I would like to keep the cost down since I'm a beginner and want to see if I like it first.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I've been looking at kayaks to fish out of but there are so many choices out there and it appears a couple of rod holders adds quite a bit to the cost. I would like to keep the cost down since I'm a beginner and want to see if I like it first.

Rooster, You can install the rod holders yourself for a bout $12.

https://www.amazon.com/Brocraft-Kayak-Holder-Flush-Mount/dp/B01CTYJAYG/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1527450943&sr=1-5&keywords=kayak+rod+holder&dpID=41Fh%252B-TQ5yL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Rooster, You can install the rod holders yourself for a bout $12.

https://www.amazon.com/Brocraft-Kayak-Holder-Flush-Mount/dp/B01CTYJAYG/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1527450943&sr=1-5&keywords=kayak+rod+holder&dpID=41Fh%252B-TQ5yL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Cool! Thanks!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the seat makes a ton of difference in kayaks. i have used the cheap 199 specials for years and finally got an old town vapor 10 angler last years. a couple three hundred bucks makes a big difference in yaks.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kayaks are like so many other things - if you buy cheap to "see if you like it" you won't. Cheap generally means in quality as well as price. They had to cut a lot of corners to get down to that price. Worse, when you discover how poorly made it is, it is worth nothing in resale.

Spend the money to get at least a mid-grade model. You are much more likely to like the experience, you have a decent machine, and when/if you want to upgrade you have something of value with a demand.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is an Old Town Vapor 10 a good-enough middle-class starter kayak?

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Kayaks are like so many other things - if you buy cheap to "see if you like it" you won't. Cheap generally means in quality as well as price. They had to cut a lot of corners to get down to that price. Worse, when you discover how poorly made it is, it is worth nothing in resale.

Spend the money to get at least a mid-grade model. You are much more likely to like the experience, you have a decent machine, and when/if you want to upgrade you have something of value with a demand.

^^^^^ This. True with just about everything in life.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is an Old Town Vapor 10 a good-enough middle-class starter kayak?

That depends on your intended use and expectations. To me, it looks like a bathtub, but that may be exactly what you're looking for. Old Town is a good company that builds reasonably good boats.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

This makes a lot of sense.

What is a good mid-grade model?

Last edited by Rooster7; 05/29/18. Reason: Ask a question

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't much care for the 'sit in' type, wife has one and prefers it. I have a 10' Lifetime Tarpon?? sit on w/rod holder, somewhat adjustable back rest etc
When fatigue hits I just roll off of it like walrus off a rock. grin
FYI- weight capacity DOES matter! I got a deal on mine due to a guy returning it due to being over capacity and it wouldn't perform in his opinion.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Which is a better option for fishing. Sit in style or Sit on top style?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kellory
I prefer a canoe, as more practical. I prefer the versatility of being able to pack in and pack out with gear and venison by water. Done it a few times. One canoe hunting trip had 4 of us (2 adults, &2 young men), all our gear, and 2 deer as we came back out.

Big Plus One!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which is a better option for fishing. Sit in style or Sit on top style?

I would say the sit on top. Hauling a decent sized fish in and I can sit it between my legs while I grab the pliers and get the lure out. With a sit in, less room to work with.

Bought one last year, low end model to see if I liked it. I do! Love it, taken it out at least a dozen times. Only thing I really dislike on mine is it has a crappy seat, so after a couple hours your back is killing you. Fixed that up by simply getting a stadium seat and setting it under the seat that came with it. $15 and got good back support.. grin

I bought a Field & Stream, which really is a good entry model - except it's owned and sold by Dick's. And as of this year, I wouldn't recommend anybody spend a $.01 with that outfit.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sit on top, for sure. Sit-ins are fine for distance paddling, running rapids, and other non-fishing stuff. Sit ons are more comfortable, give you a higher sight line to see fish, and some even allow you to stand and cast or pole along. Also more reachable storage. And they're self-baling.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Real bad deal happened in N Minnesota a few days ago.

The still used at 0:41 in the video, where the guy is in his office staring at hamburger while pulling his glasses off dejectedly....do you know the relevance of that to the story?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.