-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been killing animals with stocks made of wood, painted synthetics, and painted laminated wood.

This year I got a factory rifle, Kimber 84 Hunter with injection molded stock. When I buy rifle I usually remove any of the injected stocks and throwing them away. I can't see yet how to replace this one, so I may try to use it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's just a shame that some of you didn't at least once screw a hot chick, else wood wouldn't be so attractive to you. Luckily I banged my share of ugly chicks, so synthetics bother me not....

People think in terms of 9 day seasons, sitting in a deer stand, and hunting. Rifles can and should be used for a lot more than that and more often than 2 weeks in November.

Hasn't anyone here carried a rifle damn near year in, year out?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, they look great when sitting in 4 foot of salt water, paddling a boat, or using the rubber butt pad to keep yourself situated on the side of a granite rock ledge.

I'm surprised the Navy still don't build ships out of wood too.

BTDT. I can replace the wood, but not my ass.

Nice, but I still need a functional rifle, not a swelled up piece of shiet.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This one looked great in the fire pit

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its a tool, bye wood

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like poor grain flow through the grip. Got a closer pic? top and bottom as well.
This one looked great in the fire pit

[Linked Image]

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got over wood stocks 25 years ago after I finished one for my 250Ackley. I still have it and hunt with it. Also, my Dad's Mauser in 7x57 has a Bishop stock on it and I would never change it. However, I've not bought one since and don't plan to. When one pays a great deal of money to hunt one doesn't won't to sit thru a rainstorm and then worry the rest of the week...did my stock warp, am I still zeroed? Fiberglass and bedding don't warp. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love carrying fine old shotguns for daily bird hunting. I love wood stocked rifles for my Africa hunts. I use nice composite stocked rifles for mountain and bad weather hunts. Each has it's place.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd rather go synth and have it film dipped in wood grain pattern.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's just a shame that some of you didn't at least once screw a hot chick, else wood wouldn't be so attractive to you. Luckily I banged my share of ugly chicks, so synthetics bother me not....

People think in terms of 9 day seasons, sitting in a deer stand, and hunting. Rifles can and should be used for a lot more than that and more often than 2 weeks in November.

Hasn't anyone here carried a rifle damn near year in, year out?

Most of my 'roo rifles had wood stocks which didn't seem to cause me any problems, I found that the synthetic stocks on the Remington VSSF wore through on the dash whereas the wood forends did not, they just wear flat.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I love an English walnut stock with lots of marble cake figure. Crotch black walnut is beautiful also.
But they cost $3-5 grand when you start with a blank. And the first major scratch lowers the value a lot.
So with very few exceptions, I’m staying with synthetic.
I do have some shotguns with great wood. They don’t see rifle scabbards in the mountains, or four wheelers in a rack or other adventures that’s going to reduce their value a lot.
A friend of mine used to ask, “ do you want a pretty shotgun, or one you can hunt with”? My answer was both, pissed him off.

NRA Patron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.