Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Where did I say a bad shot and/or bad rifle could be overcome by some special cartridge properties?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall

The following except is from the last PP of MD's post above.

"The average hunter simply isn’t going to notice the tiny advantages of a super-accurate round might provide when shooting without wind flags and using a scope that isn’t adjustable for parallax, even when shooting off as benchrest. So in reality the biggest factor in hunting cartridge accuracy is the well-known “nut behind the bolt,” just as it has been since some German cut spiral grooves in a barrel 500 years ago."

I agree and the Absolute Best Shooter can't shoot itty bitty groups with a sorry rifle/bll. I simply don't believe in "inherently accurate".

Jerry

How do you address the historical record with respect to short range benchrest competition? Why is the 222 no longer competitive with a bunch of the best shots using a bunch of the best rifles?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some people apparently refuse to get it.

Some cartridges are indeed inherently accurate, and the fact that other factors can cancel this quality has nothing to do with that fact. It's like saying shrimp isn't inherently delicious because frying it in Mobil One results in a disgusting taste.

Here's another example from well-known target shooters David Tubb. If you don't know who Tubb is, he's been winning major target-shooting competitions for many years, and isn't just a shooter but major innovator in rifle and cartridge design, and really knows his way around a handloading bench as well.

He started with the .308 because it was the typical round used back then, in part because of its inherent accuracy. But like other shooters, he eventually recognized the .308 recoiled more than necessary, and the ballistic coefficients of its bullets were lower than in smaller calibers able to obtain the same velocity. He switched to various 6.5's for a while, but eventually went even smaller to the .243, and then other 6mm rounds he designed. His present round is the 6XC, based on the .22-250 necked up, with the shoulder moved back and changed to 30 degrees. (It fits even better in a short magazine than the 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoors.) After coming up with the 6XC, he said it's the easiest round to "get to shoot" (meaning it shoots accurately with just about any good bullet and suitable powder) he's ever encountered since using the .308, the round he previously considered the most inherently accurate.

Here's why I consider the 6.5 Creedmoor inherently accurate. I've now owned three, and fooled around with two others. Four of the five have been factory rifles, the most expensive a Ruger Hawkeye. Of those four factory rifles, ALL fired 5-shot (not 3-shot) groups of 1" or less on their FIRST range session, right out of the box with no "accurizing."

The Hawkeye shot a 5-shot group of .6 inch with factory Hornady ammo loaded with 140-grain A-Maxes. The very FIRST group at 100 yards fired from the cheapest of the four factory rifles, a Ruger American, measured .33". It wasn't with factory ammo, but a handload many people have found shoots well in most 6.5 Creedmoors, 41.5 grains of H4350 and any good bullet in the 140-grain range, in this instance the 140 Berger VLD.

The LEAST accurate of the four factory rifles still grouped 5 rounds into less than an inch. Again, that's FIVE shots, not the three fired by typical Campfire members. Five-shot groups average about 1-1/2 times as large as 3-shot groups from the same rifle, so 3-shot groups in that rifle would average around .65" with the same load.

Would love to hear from anybody who's shot four out-of-the-box factory rifles chambered in another round that equals that sort of accuracy, because it hasn't happened with the last four OTB, bolt-action .223 Remingtons I've owned, or the last four .308's. It definitely hasn't happened with a bunch of other cartridges from the .243 Winchester to .300 Winchester Magnum.

If that isn't an example of inherent accuracy, I don't know what is.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Some cartridges are indeed inherently accurate, and the fact that other factors can cancel this quality has nothing to do with that fact. It's like saying shrimp isn't inherently delicious because frying it in Mobil One results in a disgusting taste.

I'm glad I had already swallowed my sip of coffee before I read that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Here's another example from well-known target shooters David Tubb. If you don't know who Tubb is, he's been winning major target-shooting competitions for many years, and isn't just a shooter but major innovator in rifle and cartridge design, and really knows his way around a handloading bench as well.

He started with the .308 because it was the typical round used back then, in part because of its inherent accuracy. But like other shooters, he eventually recognized the .308 recoiled more than necessary, and the ballistic coefficients of its bullets were lower than in smaller calibers able to obtain the same velocity. He switched to various 6.5's for a while, but eventually went even smaller to the .243, and then other 6mm rounds he designed. His present round is the 6XC, based on the .22-250 necked up, with the shoulder moved back and changed to 30 degrees. (It fits even better in a short magazine than the 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoors.) After coming up with the 6XC, he said it's the easiest round to "get to shoot" (meaning it shoots accurately with just about any good bullet and suitable powder) he's ever encountered since using the .308, the round he previously considered the most inherently accurate.

Here's why I consider the 6.5 Creedmoor inherently accurate. I've now owned three, and fooled around with two others. Four of the five have been factory rifles, the most expensive a Ruger Hawkeye. Of those four factory rifles, ALL fired 5-shot (not 3-shot) groups of 1" or less on their FIRST range session, right out of the box with no "accurizing."

The Hawkeye shot a 5-shot group of .6 inch with factory Hornady ammo loaded with 140-grain A-Maxes. The very FIRST group at 100 yards fired from the cheapest of the four factory rifles, a Ruger American, measured .33". It wasn't with factory ammo, but a handload many people have found shoots well in most 6.5 Creedmoors, 41.5 grains of H4350 and any good bullet in the 140-grain range, in this instance the 140 Berger VLD.

The LEAST accurate of the four factory rifles still grouped 5 rounds into less than an inch. Again, that's FIVE shots, not the three fired by typical Campfire members. Five-shot groups average about 1-1/2 times as large as 3-shot groups from the same rifle, so 3-shot groups in that rifle would average around .65" with the same load.

Would love to hear from anybody who's shot four out-of-the-box factory rifles chambered in another round that equals that sort of accuracy, because it hasn't happened with the last four OTB, bolt-action .223 Remingtons I've owned, or the last four .308's. It definitely hasn't happened with a bunch of other cartridges from the .243 Winchester to .300 Winchester Magnum.

This is simply outstanding stuff. I particularly like the shrimp/Mobil 1 analogy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great post.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I seldom find anything with which I can argue in any of MD's posts and this one is no exception. I'm not convinced a 6.5 Jap, if chambered in the same rifles and to the same degree of precision, wouldn't shoot just as well but, like I said, it's hard to argue with real results. GD

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have spent lots of dollars building 270’s and 280’s over the last 35 years. I bought the best barrels, reamers, actions, and stocks. Then had them assembled by the very best makers I could find. I have never had one that performs as well as MD’s 6.5 CM Ruger American.

Think I will go cry like a man, meaning will have a gin martini or two and some coconut shrimp.

Last edited by RinB; 05/25/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by greydog
I seldom find anything with which I can argue in any of MD's posts

If they dump any more oil in the Gulf we may need to learn to like the Shrimp ala Mobil One.

It would be interesting to see a test of various cartridges maybe shot from the same universal receiver to see if their was a discernible difference. Not only is the Creedmoor a good design but many of the factory loads are loaded to benchrest standards this has to help too.

Tubb's 6XC is along the same lines but with an eye on extending barrel life with a longer neck and slightly less powder capacity., and a better fit in a short action (AR) as MD said. He would burn up 243 barrels before the competition season was over previously.

I wonder which would win out of the 6PPC, 6BR, 6XC and 6 Creedmoor? I think it would come down to the range they were shot at with the smaller two maybe doing better at 100 and the last two better at 1000 but that is just a guess. Probably like splitting gnat hairs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by greydog
I seldom find anything with which I can argue in any of MD's posts

I wonder which would win out of the 6PPC, 6BR, 6XC and 6 Creedmoor? I think it would come down to the range they were shot at with the smaller two maybe doing better at 100 and the last two better at 1000 but that is just a guess. Probably like splitting gnat hairs.

My guess is whichever one Tubb happens to be shooting would win. I hunt whitetails right next to Tubb's place in the TX Panhandle and have had the luxury of visiting with him several times. He's the freaking man.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what prevented the PPC cartridges from gaining the traction the Creedmoor has?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Youper
So what prevented the PPC cartridges from gaining the traction the Creedmoor has?

To me they were always a high tech item, never marketed like the CM line.

So the answer could be one word: Hornady.

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Youper

Properly twisted factory rifles(from $350 ruger Americans to higher end Barrett seekins etc)and good quality/selection of factory ammo

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes Hornady

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to other factors, the PPC was also too slow to be popular with hunters and the average dude. The Creedmoor with 140’s hits the speeds that people are used to getting with their .30-06’s and 180’s, which is an easier jump to make.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Where did I say a bad shot and/or bad rifle could be overcome by some special cartridge properties?

Hey MM --- no muss - no mas. I wasn't attacking you at all.

M D also said this.....

"There’s also a third factor. The incremental accuracy advantages in newer cartridges are only detectable by a minority of shooters, in certain situations. Target shooters not only shoot at known ranges, from steadier positions (whether from a benchrest or snuggled into a shooting jacket), but some are allowed to use wind flags."-- P 2.

My point is for the 'average shooter' or majority of hunters.....

Without a good rifle/ barrel NO cartridge will shoot very well and some will be horrible. Check the Kimber Roulette recent threads.
[/b]* IMO, * IMO the minute ("incremental") advantages of the C M are lost on the average hunter.[b]

I've had more rifles than I can count from 223 -- 338 WM. Out of ALL those only ONE would NOT group 4 or 5 shots w/in 1 1/2".

Some will NOT believe this but it's the truth. The TWO most accurate rifles I've owned were both Rem 700s.
One was a BDL 6mm Rem - it was almost unbelievable. I had my reason for trading it but I SHOULD have kept it. frown
The other was an ADL 30-06.

Following close on their heels are TWO I have now. Tikka T 3 Lite 270 and Tikka T3x 7 RM.

I am NOT saying they were/are Target or Competition quality but they WOULD shoot beyond the capabilities of many 'hunters'.
I am ONLY expressing my opinions.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Any rifle can be made accurate, especially if you like dumping ridiculous amounts of money on gun smiths. The Creed can be had in inexpensive, factory rifles and they shoot nearly as good as any custom rifle. THAT is why it qualifies as "inherently accurate".

Last edited by sbhooper; 05/25/18.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by mathman

Hey MM --- no muss - no mas. I wasn't attacking you at all.

M D also said this.....

"There’s also a third factor. The incremental accuracy advantages in newer cartridges are only detectable by a minority of shooters, in certain situations. Target shooters not only shoot at known ranges, from steadier positions (whether from a benchrest or snuggled into a shooting jacket), but some are allowed to use wind flags."-- P 2.

My point is for the 'average shooter' or majority of hunters.....

Without a good rifle/ barrel NO cartridge will shoot very well and some will be horrible. Check the Kimber Roulette recent threads.
[/b]* IMO, * IMO the minute ("incremental") advantages of the C M are lost on the average hunter.[b]

I've had more rifles than I can count from 223 -- 338 WM. Out of ALL those only ONE would NOT group 4 or 5 shots w/in 1 1/2".

Some will NOT believe this but it's the truth. The TWO most accurate rifles I've owned were both Rem 700s.
One was a BDL 6mm Rem - it was almost unbelievable. I had my reason for trading it but I SHOULD have kept it. frown
The other was an ADL 30-06.

Following close on their heels are TWO I have now. Tikka T 3 Lite 270 and Tikka T3x 7 RM.

I am NOT saying they were/are Target or Competition quality but they WOULD shoot beyond the capabilities of many 'hunters'.
I am ONLY expressing my opinions.

Jerry

OK, but that still does not mean they don't exist because Average Joe can't resolve them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John,
222 Remington...I think the 222 Rem is an inherently accurate cartridge that one could argue is like the 6.5 Creedmoor for ease of making it shoot .05” 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 6.5 CM shoots more diverse loads more accurately across the board than any round I have. And I have some good ones.

It’s an older M-700 with a SS Shilen, bedded by me in a McWoody Mtn Rifle stock.

DF

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,577
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.