Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting ready to scope a lightweight rifle(s) that will occasionally be called upon for shots up to 500 yards, which is about to the end of my current comfort zone on game.
I won't do a lot of knob twisting, but if possible, I want reliability without the weight and an objective lens no larger than 44mm.

I'm currently considering the following:
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44mm with ballistic turrents
Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44mm (CDS)
Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42mm (CDS)

Possibly:
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm (CDS-ZL2)

I realize when it comes to knob twisting, NF is in a league of their own, but they are heavy and I'm not sure how it would affect the balance of my rifle(s). I like their Force Plex and Illuminated Force Plex reticle as well as the illuminated and non-illuminated IHR reticle, but everything else is too busy. Please make your recommendation, but to get the magnification I want with a NF, I'd have to go larger than a 44mm objective.

What are your thoughts?

ETA: the rifles I will be scoping is a Barrett FC; 7mm-08 and 270 Win and a Kimber Mt. Ascent; 300 WSM.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/25/18.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nightforce. The weight isn't bad, once you get it mounted on the rifle you will forget that it weighs a little more than some others.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just my opinion, but without a doubt the Nightforce would be the most durable and mechanically precise scope. I own that Swaro and use it in a similar role on a Forbes 270. I have only used the turret a few times,but no problems with it yet.

If I could afford it,I would go with the 2.5-10 NXS. It's what,two ounces heavier than the Swaro? Personally,I would be fine with the 10X magnification of the NXS. I wouldn't put the heavier NF on a Fieldcraft. To me the reliability of the NF is worth much more than a little higher magnification.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Conquest V4 4-16x44 would be my pick, Made to be dialed and equal if not better glass then the Z5. When you get a chance go look thru one , you will be pleased.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nightforce, even if you have to drop a couple Xs to kerp weight down. 10x should be fine for any game shooting as you descibe it. The SHV is pretty compact, and balance trumps a couple of extra ounces. I just swapped a 20oz Tract for a 1 pound 3-9 and the difference in feel is far more than the weight difference would account for. The Tract was a lot longer.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Conquest V4 4-16x44 would be my pick, Made to be dialed and equal if not better glass then the Z5. When you get a chance go look thru one , you will be pleased.

How many rounds have you through one? How many of those were dialed and how did you measure the precision of adjustments and return to zero? Any info on zero retention?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

How many rounds have you through one? How many of those were dialed and how did you measure the precision of adjustments and return to zero? Any info on zero retention?

Never used one , all I see are positive writeups. Do you have any experience with it? I should add all I have seen have looked pretty well made and there is a guy at the range that has one and is very happy with it. I have never owned one.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve been pretty happy with the vx6hd 3-18
For minimal dialing with hunting I’ve been happy with mine and it’s pretty light weight for all the features it has

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Never used one , all I see are positive writeups. Do you have any experience with it? I should add all I have seen have looked pretty well made and there is a guy at the range that has one and is very happy with it. I have never owned one.

No I haven’t used one, and I wouldn’t recommend something I don’t have extensive experience with.

As for the Zeiss, they haven’t changed anything on the erector system that would lead it to be more reliable or durable. Zeiss, like Leupold, Swarovski, Vortex, etc. all claim that the “next” version really is better and they “fixed” or “improved” reliability... It’s all bs. They are built similar from generation to generation, and they do not test each scope for function.

That’s what makes Nightforce different and why they work- every single scope is fully tested for performance before it leaves their shop.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
STUDDUCK ~

Have you considered the compact Nightforce NXS 2.5 - 10 ?

Being really abusive on glass and after decades with some minor issues re durability with Leupold and last year Swaro I purchased my first dial up in the compact NXS.
Wow!, built like a tank and only 20.5 ounces seems to punch tight holes at 500 and trying for up to 800 but not sure ?

Schmidt and Bender has been my hands down toughest scope choice prior to this Nightforce but usually hard to fit in my budget! But recently could not resist giving Doug
( Camera land ) the word go on their new proprietary special release Schmidt Bender 6 x 42 P3. @ only 16.8 ounces, 500 - 600 should be sweet , will see ?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
At this point I'm leaning towards the NF for my initial purchase. I do like the Zeiss that was suggested above, but as I said, I do believe NF is in a league of their own when it comes to twisting knobs.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No I haven’t used one, and I wouldn’t recommend something I don’t have extensive experience with.

As for the Zeiss, they haven’t changed anything on the erector system that would lead it to be more reliable or durable. Zeiss, like Leupold, Swarovski, Vortex, etc. all claim that the “next” version really is better and they “fixed” or “improved” reliability... It’s all bs. They are built similar from generation to generation, and they do not test each scope for function.

That’s what makes Nightforce different and why they work- every single scope is fully tested for performance before it leaves their shop.

What does fully tested for performance mean? Honest question . I have seen them assemble the high end scopes in the Oregon facility and they run them thru the windage /elevation . Are you telling me that Zeiss does not do this and if so how do you know? Another Honest Question. Is the SHV tested like their highend scopes?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I'm sure Nightforce is top of the heap, but I'm not disappointed with the 2 of these I just received this afternoon for $700/ea. Zeiss V4 4-16×44 w/z-plex #20 reticle.

Waiting on Seekins 30mm rings.

First impressions:

Excellent light gathering
Excellent clarity
Very generous eye relief
Duplex a little finer than I'd hoped

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/72933.jpg

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I'm sure Nightforce is top of the heap, but I'm not disappointed with the 2 of these I just received this afternoon for $700/ea. Zeiss V4 4-16×44 w/z-plex #20 reticle.

First impressions:

Excellent clarity
Very generous eye relief

I plan on buying one of those once I get my other rifle going. It will be going on a Sako A7 7mm Rem mag project.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Not sure if your hunting dogs or White Tail, but if you get tired of turning knobs try the VX3 2.5-8 B&C reticle. 100-500 yrd no misses with a 250AI and 85gr Barnes bullets. Rifle is subMOA sighted in @200 and easily does 500. Weighs 6lbs 2ozs.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

First impressions:

Excellent clarity
Very generous eye relief

I plan on buying one of those once I get my other rifle going. It will be going on a Sako A7 7mm Rem mag project.

Oldelkhunter, best of luck with your rifle projects. I'll chip in some more info once I get this one up and running.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have you ever seen the Nightforce brochure ? the brochure shows a scope used by an American sniper over in the sand countries that had a bullet hole thru it and the sniper used his bullet hole scope for a while tell he got a replacement Nightforce scope and the bullet hole scope still worked just fine after the scope was shot by a bullet. I have been using Nightforce for over 10 years and yes they are a better scope, dang tuff scope,have a better turrent system,might cost a couple bucks more "maybe ?" but is worth every penny more ! I just purchased my 8th Nightforce scope from Midway USA 3-10x50 cost less $900.00,when I go on my expensive hunts, a long ways from home, I will always have a nightforce scope on my rifles. Good luck with the right choice,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

What does fully tested for performance mean? Honest question . I have seen them assemble the high end scopes in the Oregon facility and they run them thru the windage /elevation . Are you telling me that Zeiss does not do this and if so how do you know? Another Honest Question. Is the SHV tested like their highend scopes?

Every NXS, ATACR, BEAST, and NX8 is tested on a machine for tracking accuracy, adjustment consistency, return to zero, and optical quality. Then they are slammed on a table with front, side and back impacts and checked for zero retention. The. Tested for the above again. That is what is publicly acknowledged. They go far beyond this, and record every scopes actual performance. The person who tested it puts their initials on a stickier which goes on the scope, and that is recorded.

The SHV’s do well and only lack some of the absolute overbuilt features of the combat optics.

No, Zeiss does not test every scope, nor do they batch test for the same things as NF. As well their QC and QA standards are not what NF holds themselves to.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Every NXS, ATACR, BEAST, and NX8 is tested on a machine for tracking accuracy, adjustment consistency, return to zero, and optical quality. Then they are slammed on a table with front, side and back impacts and checked for zero retention. The. Tested for the above again. That is what is publicly acknowledged. They go far beyond this, and record every scopes actual performance. The person who tested it puts their initials on a stickier which goes on the scope, and that is recorded.

The SHV’s do well and only lack some of the absolute overbuilt features of the combat optics.

No, Zeiss does not test every scope, nor do they batch test for the same things as NF. As well their QC and QA standards are not what NF holds themselves to.

Not questioning your legitimacy here, but how are you sure as to what Zeiss' testing procedures are or are not? I'm just asking because i just bought one of the Conquest DL's Doug had on sale and I'm thinking hard about buying one of the $700 V4 demos. Thanks

Randall

Last edited by ShortMag11; 05/26/18.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]

I love my NF's but my pack-around hunting rifles get Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42's. Not that there aren't a lot of good scopes out there, but nothing else need apply. (Photo taken about 2 weeks ago, scope on rifle being shot is a NF ATACR 5-25 w/ MOAR-T reticle.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.