Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've sent multiple rifles to JES. His work is excellent and affordable. I'll send him more. Several friends have sent him rifles and are just as happy.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had JES rebore a Win. Model 70 Classic 30-06 to 9.3X62mm and cut the barrel back to 22 inches.

I've just got a 4 power leupold and it shoots moa and better.

Would use them again.

I've read the story of justahunter's 35 whelen that JES rebored... it is the only negative review I have read.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great experience with JES on the two I have had him do for me. 270 to 338-06 on one and 308 to 358 win on the other. Both times it was just over 2 week turnaround.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by 79S
We know you are a published writer and all

I didn't know . . . . can you please elaborate?

He had a hunting story published in some hunting mag.. so he's a published author. So we all should take what he says as gospel..

I have not once heard or read Ted say anything of the sort.

His post was out of line, but a referral to the thread would not have been.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by 79S
We know you are a published writer and all

I didn't know . . . . can you please elaborate?

He had a hunting story published in some hunting mag.. so he's a published author. So we all should take what he says as gospel..

I have not once heard or read Ted say anything of the sort.

His post was out of line, but a referral to the thread would not have been.

Insert a lot of sarcasm when I wrote that.. I get it some folks not happy but every time someone asks about JES ol Ted is running to his computer and typing away saying the same thing. But this time he changed it up and said first shot. When I got my rebore done JEss told me to use 300 wsm, and that's all I use. Not [bleep] it what does he know, bang hey my primers are flat [bleep] it I'm going to crank it up little bang hey something wrong.. not saying justahunter did anything wrong, but let him give his opinion on what he thinks.

Last edited by 79S; 05/28/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys! I read the story over on the other site. Not sure what to say about it but no ones perfect. Tooling does wear and he probably learned something from it.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Thanks guys! I read the story over on the other site. Not sure what to say about it but no ones perfect. Tooling does wear and he probably learned something from it.

I am not at all sure that the barrel maker was at fault, and am not quite sure how you reached that conclusion.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 2 guns done by JES and am happy with both 338/06 and 35 Whelen. Good work and fast turn a round and a fair price. No one is perfect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, if getting an article printed and getting paid for it is the standard, I must be an expert also. About thirty-five years I sent an article about a 7-.300 Weatherby to Wolf Publishing. I think it was in RELOADER, but it might have been in the other one. The editor had me shooting stuff I never tried. After that I didn't trust magazine articles for accuracy. A few years later I did some shooting for a guy at Guns and Ammo. All the groups were fantastic so I checked with the other shooter. He thought I did the great shooting so I checked with the writer. He told me owed Kimber a favor. He reminded me how much I trust gun writers.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Before JES existed I had Randall Redman rebore a pre'64 Winchester M/70 .30-06 to .35 Whelen. that was more than 25 yrs. ago I have been extermely well pleased with this rifle it shoots everything very well from jacketed bullets, to cast and pistol bullets. Redman is not accepting any rebore work at the moment.

IC B3

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Bill_N

I am not at all sure that the barrel maker was at fault, and am not quite sure how you reached that conclusion.

Read the last few posts of the linked thread.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had JES rebore a stainless Remington 700 ADL from .270 to .35 Whelen. Shoots great. It has put 3 Sierra 225 boattails into a 1/2" group. It shoots better than I can. Two weeks ago it put a 225 gr partition into a 400 lb New Brunswick bear.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had JES rebore a sporter 03a3 to 35 Whelen for me. It was accurate enough but I was able to get over 3000 FPS with 225 grain handloads. Also had ruptured primers and a couple case ruptures with super reduced loads. Just had lots of problems with it. When I called him he blamed me and my handloads and was very demanding and rude that nothing was his fault with it. Told me to shoot factory ammo in it. After research I found a few other guys having similar issues. I found the only box of 35 Whelen ammo in North West Colorado at the time which was Hornady Superformance. I figured if my reduced handloads will give me 3000 FPS this ammo that’s advertised to get 2900 ought to do an easy 4000 FPS out of mine. I tied her to a fence post and touched it off with a long string hiding behind my truck for cover. It didn’t blow up as bad as I thought it would but it still blew up.

In short, JES does pretty awesome work 99% of the time but when things go wrong, like they are eventually going to do with ANY craftsman, he is a huge prick. HUGE! And has the people skills to match.

He’ll never get another dime from me.

He eventually admitted to a couple of other guys that his tooling was extremely worn and fixed their rifles, after mine blew up... But since I told the truth about him on the Internet he won’t give me the time of day. Good riddance as far as we are both concerned I’m sure.

Todd

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here is the FULL story unlike the first link posted here.

It’s 4 parts.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/3061008432/p/1

Todd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Justahunter
I had JES rebore a sporter 03a3 to 35 Whelen for me. It was accurate enough but I was able to get over 3000 FPS with 225 grain handloads.

I cannot understand why things went any further than this. Once you saw 3000 fps with 225s, things should have come to a screeeeeeeeching halt, right now if not sooner. Maybe the rebore job was not as it should have been, but the blown up rifle is ALL yours.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I obviously knew it was going to or I wouldn’t have tied it to a fence post.... I was just doing what the man who rebored my rifle told me to..

Todd

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I had JES rebore a sporter 03a3 to 35 Whelen for me. It was accurate enough but I was able to get over 3000 FPS with 225 grain handloads.

I cannot understand why things went any further than this. Once you saw 3000 fps with 225s, things should have come to a screeeeeeeeching halt, right now if not sooner. Maybe the rebore job was not as it should have been, but the blown up rifle is ALL yours.

This and with a junk rifle to boot....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had JES rebore a number of rifles for me. All of them have been good shooters and I've been very happy with the cost, quality, and turnaround time. Don't let one person's actions deter you from getting it done by a superb gunsmith. Remember there are old reloaders and bold reloaders, but not too many old, bold reloaders. Natural selection is necessary.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I obviously knew it was going to...

But you did it anyway. After having seen 3000 fps with a 225 and a perfectly predictable outcome, you persisted.

[Linked Image]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Never used JES, but I did use Oregunsmithing, and the end result was a good rifle, and Wayne stood by his work. I have had two Marlin .30-30’s rebored to 38-55 by Alan Siegrist in Whittemore, MI. Google him. He’s not speedy, but his prices are great and his quality is outstanding. My current one puts three of my cast bullets into 3/4-1-1/4 inches at 100 yds with a 2.75x scope with post reticle. Couldn’t be happier.

Old70

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 66 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,806
Posts18,477,518
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.