Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

M70 stainless classic, 22 featherweight barrel, 30.06, Micky edge stock Leupold 6x36 with the dots

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=Pharmseller]All he’s hunting is deer. Why the elk cartridge recommendations?

Well I guess that “if” you’ve only got one rifle, then likely will “only” have one caliber.....why not get one of the best “all around calibers” ? Good for everything from “small” big game (even works on coyotes pretty effectively) up to and thru moose and bear. Today, it’s only deer, tomorrow....? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/23/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m thinking that if something changes in life and a guy finds himself planning an out-of-state elk hunt, grabbing another rifle isn’t too much of a problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’m thinking that if something changes in life and a guy finds himself planning an out-of-state elk hunt, grabbing another rifle isn’t too much of a problem.

Correctamundo, in both posts. No brainer, really. My second choice would be a 6.5 Grendel for which there's some really cheap ammo and has considerable utility, plus it's very powder-thrifty.

What fresh Hell is this?
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tikka,
6.5 Creed, or 7-08.
Good gun, lightweight, good cost/quality ratio.
Flat shooting cartridges, light recoil, reasonably available and cost ammo.
More than enough for coyote, perfect for deer.

Or, use a 270 for easier available and cheaper (on sale) ammo.

^^ as good as it gets ^^
I hunt elk so instead of 270 it be 30/06 for one rifle only.. But I do love my 270 for deer.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
[quote-Pharmseller]All he’s hunting is deer. Why the elk cartridge recommendations?

Well I guess that “if” you’ve only got one rifle, then likely will “only” have one caliber.....why not get one of the best “all around calibers” ?
Good for everything from “small” big game (even works on coyotes pretty effectively) up to and thru moose and bear.
Today, it’s only deer, tomorrow....? memtb

Why not .375H&H then?....cause it 'could' be elk tomorrow and cape buffalo a week later... whistle

Originally Posted by iviax
Originally Posted by vapodog

Normally, I'm a model 70 fan.....and still am....but this Howa is something to take notice of.....I recommend them highly.

But if you could only have one bolt action rifle, will you still choose howa?

If I could have only 'one' Id have no problem with a Howa.
If i wanted[not needed] to spend more on a push feed ...Id get a Borden action barrelled up!
and screw it to B&C stock just to rattle some mcMilan sycophants on the campfire... grin

chamber would be 7mm Mag....cause it.. 'recoils like 30/06 and hits like 300mag'...with ammo
just a cheap and available as the gay .270

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMHO...7RM does not recoil like 06. has little more pop to it.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Winchester model 70 Feather weight, current models in 30-06

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by memtb
[quote-Pharmseller]All he’s hunting is deer. Why the elk cartridge recommendations?

Well I guess that “if” you’ve only got one rifle, then likely will “only” have one caliber.....why not get one of the best “all around calibers” ?
Good for everything from “small” big game (even works on coyotes pretty effectively) up to and thru moose and bear.
Today, it’s only deer, tomorrow....? memtb

Why not .375H&H then?....cause it 'could' be elk tomorrow and cape buffalo a week later... whistle

Originally Posted by vapodog

Normally, I'm a model 70 fan.....and still am....but this Howa is something to take notice of.....I recommend them highly.

But if you could only have one bolt action rifle, will you still choose howa?

If I could have only 'one' Id have no problem with a Howa.
If i wanted[not needed] to spend more on a push feed ...Id get a Borden action barrelled up!
and screw it to B&C stock just to rattle some mcMilan sycophants on the campfire... grin

chamber would be 7mm Mag....cause it.. 'recoils like 30/06 and hits like 300mag'...with ammo
just a cheap and available as the gay .270

You sir.....are indeed correct! I was narrow-minded and limited the OP to North America. Your suggestion is the reason I bought a .375H&H in the early ‘80’s. My “only” rifle caliber ever since.... though in ‘89 stepped up to a lightweight (relatively) .375 AI. Shoots as flat or flatter than the aforementioned.338 WM, and is good for Africa! 🙂
wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/24/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd probably choose this one in .22 Hornet

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mauser 98 in .30-06

The rest are all fluff ..... smile

Last edited by las; 05/25/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Too open ended. When I got my first rifle, I handled several in a gun shop and did a mental coin toss. I later sold that because it was a bit much for my first or for deer. Weight and caliber. Then I did have deer hunting as a specific goal. The OP has NO GOAL, or stated purpose other than owning a bolt actions. Stay away from odd ball rounds like 22 hornet, bee zipper, what ever.

What I like? For small, easy to shoot, cost of ammo, good ammo selection and good looks. CZ527 carbine or american in 223. Mount a medium size (aka practical) size scope like a 3-9x compact or worse case a 4-12x. Another way to go is cz527 in euro varmint for a heavier gun to shoot at the club of for actual long hours of varmint shooting and that can be topped with a 6-18x. Again the 223 is a good round to enjoy and be used to good effect.

Next up is the deer rifle and here I like rounds like 7mm-08 first choice, and 6.5mm second. Th 243 is a sweet first deer rifle and a nice step up from 223 while still mild and pleasant for a first gun. All these are what I call, medium length actions. In this space I like Tikka with a wood stock. Or your taste might run toward Tikka in synthetic. Winchester is a bit haevy in this class of ctg. The Howa is not to my taste. The CZ is also a bit heavy in the mediums. I love Kimber and certain Sako (carbon fiber) if you have the budget. The big problem is we dont know what you want this rifle for. If you do not hunt then you are free to select a little heavier gun and then CZ and Winchester offers some seriously good looking rifles. I dont care so much for Remington these days. Savage seems ok, but again, not crazy about the looks. There is that 308 at cabelas that everyone raves about out. They all shoot.

Moving up is 30-06 and larger (375HH) and here the various Winchester M70 really stand out as appropriate in weight and good Japanese quality. I dont think these bigger guns are a good place to start. Same with the 98 in 06. Too much gun. I own various Model 70 from New Haven (control feed) and Japan - great guns.

Last step in the progression is the CZ550 magnum that can be had in 375HH up to 505 Gibbs. A non starter for a first bolt rifle.

Funny about price, if you can only afford ONE good one, then you could afford two less costly rifles like savage. What is good? Functional or does style enter into the picture at all? And what is style? This is an impossible post to deal with.

I go back to the beginning. Caliber 223 , rifle CZ527. There will be no regrets.

For a little bigger with 'possible' hunting later, 7mm-08, 6.5cm or 243 in Kimber or Sako (or Tikka). One gun will not do it all. You need to decide if you are going to carry this all day or shoot at a club. A rifle that is 'good' for everything is really good for nothing. That concept died in the 1960's

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
To bad the OP did not ask about buying his first bolt rifle with a, long term goal to have a 3 rifle battery to include a maximum of hunting scenarios.

Then we could propose starting at the small end and building toward something like: 223, 7mm08, 375HH (CZ, Kimber, Winchester)

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I could have 1 it would be a 30-06 Walnut and Blued steel.. For your criteria. Coyotes maybe a deer. 243, 22-250 ,or 223, You didn't say whether you liked wood or plastic, stainless, matte or blued steel. Price range?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If I could only have one it would be my Ruger MKII in 6mm Rem, Walnut Stocked blued rifle, I also have the same rifle in 243 but I much prefer the 6mm Rem.

Good Shooting,

George
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 70, of course!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy peasy.. 308 Fetherweight.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Your question is easy. You can go old school or new school. I would go old school with a Mauser custom in 30-06. Most of the gunsmith's are trained in Mauser Sporter upgrades. Any gun choice you make will need attention to shoot correctly. Not many out of the box decisions that shoot, even less that are cheap.

New school; Ruger Bushmaster 450

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's the rub, as they say. The OP doesn't appear at this point to know quite what he wants to do with it, so answers will be all over the place, reflecting what others like to do, as well as their tastes. My idea is that he should get something best suited for what he's doing now, then deal with future needs as they come. A fast-twist .223 in the platform that he likes or that has features useful to him as regards magazines, sighting options etc will do lots of stuff, won't beat him up, be cheap to shoot, and last a very long time. A bonus is that very nearly every bolt action made can be had so chambered.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

I would wait until you decide what you are going to do before buying. As it is, with no real firm idea what you intend to use it for, whatever you choose is more likely to be wrong than right. If you were not stuck on just buying one, then I'd suggest something to practice with to gain familiarity so that when the time does come, you've got a good foundation. A good .223 or .308 bolt action might be a good choice because of the variety of ammo availability if you're not planning to reload. That's doesn't seem to be what you're asking, so my suggestion is to set aside money now to be spent when you have a more firm grasp on your actual need.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 260Remguy, 222ND, 61 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,032
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.