Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
... always wondered but never asked. Why did Savage name it the “.303” Savage?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that the true rationale behind that decision went to the grave with Arthur. There is evidence that .311 bullets were factory loaded at one time or another but I don't think a real .311 bore was ever produced. There are some oversize .308 barrels but I believe that was due to the machinery in use and attention to tolerances in that era.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Million dollar question.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found this little snippet about the .303 British: The .303 British (designated as the 303 British by the C.I.P. and SAAMI) or 7.7×56mmR, is a .303-inch (7.7 mm) calibre (with the bore diameter MEASURED BETWEEN THE LANDS as is common practice in Europe).

... so could it possible that Arthur was toying with the European naming convention and the .303 Savage was .303” measured between the lands and he added the “Savage” after it to differentiate from the .303 British? That might actually give some credence to those rumors that the early .303 Savages had a larger bore diameter. ... I know, speculation at best, but it would explain the “.303” part of the name.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 05/26/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A savage collector I know told me the following. (I suspect it's true, but I have no proof) This is as close to a quote as I can give you:

The Savage Arms Co started in the 1890s and one of the target markets for their guns was Canada. The 303 British was the well accepted caliber and quite popular. So Arthur Savage named his shell the "303" to capitalize on the allure of a familiar "name" to cause the northern market to warm up to it easier.
The .308" bullets were what was available in the US because of tooling of the "new" military 30-40 round and the acceptance of the 30 WCF in civilian circles, and because of that the cost of having bullets made to the British standard made no sense to Mr Savage when the .308 sizing was standardized in production within the USA.
So the name 303 Savage was distinctive enough to bait the Canadians and also differentiated the new shell from the 30 WCF which was the "big teem to beat."

It worked to some extent in Canada but didn't have as high an acceptance in the USA.
The rest is academic, but that's the inside story"

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good question. I heard Savage originally wanted to call it the .303 WTF!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Probably the same place that 270 Winchester came from

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at some barrel specs fro here http://mcgowenbarrel.com/bore-groove/

A .25 caliber has a.250” between the lands and .257” grooves (Note Savage named the .250-3000 Savage)
.270 Win has a .270” between the lands land and .277” grooves (Note the .270 Win name matches the land diameter)
.30 caliber has .300” between lands and .308 between grooves (Note the .300 Savage name matches the land diameter
A .303 caliber has .303” between the lands and .311 grooves (Note the name of the 303 British)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by szihn
A savage collector I know told me the following. (I suspect it's true, but I have no proof) This is as close to a quote as I can give you:

The Savage Arms Co started in the 1890s and one of the target markets for their guns was Canada. The 303 British was the well accepted caliber and quite popular. So Arthur Savage named his shell the "303" to capitalize on the allure of a familiar "name" to cause the northern market to warm up to it easier.
The .308" bullets were what was available in the US because of tooling of the "new" military 30-40 round and the acceptance of the 30 WCF in civilian circles, and because of that the cost of having bullets made to the British standard made no sense to Mr Savage when the .308 sizing was standardized in production within the USA.
So the name 303 Savage was distinctive enough to bait the Canadians and also differentiated the new shell from the 30 WCF which was the "big teem to beat."

It worked to some extent in Canada but didn't have as high an acceptance in the USA.

Sounds good to me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Across the lands= bore diameter. (Ie: bore as it was before the grooves were cut.)

I think y'all are over thinking things. I believe Arthur and his crew believed in naming cartridges with eye catching monikers. .22 High Power, .250-3000 for example. I think .303 falls into the same boat. A play on words to mimic the .30-30 without bring obvious about it. (And self appointed allusion to a famous military round- the .303 Brit which had been around ten years by the time of the .303 Savage. Pretty good coat tails to ride on.)

Never forget Arthur Savage was an entrepreneur first and an inventor second. Heck just look at his name- it conjures up images of stark baseness without ever applying an Indian head to it and probably set his imagination to work by the time he was wearing short pants.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by szihn

What do you mean by that?? Factories and arsenals could make any darned size bullet they had a whim to. It wasn't the dark ages in the 1890's you know. In fact Savage did specify .311 bullets in a . 308 groove diameter in a vain effort to boost velocity/performance.

As for the Canadian Connection, that sounds like wishful thinking on the part of a jealous Canuck.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I found this little snippet about the .303 British: The .303 British (designated as the 303 British by the C.I.P. and SAAMI) or 7.7×56mmR, is a .303-inch (7.7 mm) calibre (with the bore diameter MEASURED BETWEEN THE LANDS as is common practice in Europe).

... so could it possible that Arthur was toying with the European naming convention and the .303 Savage was .303” measured between the lands and he added the “Savage” after it to differentiate from the .303 British? That might actually give some credence to those rumors that the early .303 Savages had a larger bore diameter. ... I know, speculation at best, but it would explain the “.303” part of the name.

Bore diameter of .30 caliber barrels is universally nominally .300 not .301, or .302, or .303, always has been, always will be.

We Americans sometimes use bore diameter to name cartridges, sometimes groove diameter. In the case of .30 calibers it's bore diameter (except for the pesky .308 Winchester and the red-headed step child the .303 Savage.

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I always thought it was to enter savage into the military market? Large military contract could put a new company ahead fast.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think Savage's aborted foray into military musket contracts was due largely to the underpowered cartridge (in a world where romper-stompers like 7x57, 8x57, .303 Brit, .30-40 Krag, 7.65 Mauser, .30-06, etc. ruled the roost), as well as its lever action. Military rifle shooting at the time was centered around classic position shooting and that lever is/was a royal PIA to operate in prone position.

I always marveled about the Winchetsr M95 contracts with Russia in WWI for that reason. Of course the Russkies were desperate for anything that went bang.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've never thought a lever gun a good idea for a battle rifle when a bolt gun is as about as simple, strong and easy to keep running as it gets. Could you imagine trying to clean the mud of the Western Front out of a 99 or 95!? Nice actions but way too complicated for infantry rifles.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Across the lands= bore diameter. (Ie: bore as it was before the grooves were cut.)

I think y'all are over thinking things. I believe Arthur and his crew believed in naming cartridges with eye catching monikers. .22 High Power, .250-3000 for example. I think .303 falls into the same boat. A play on words to mimic the .30-30 without bring obvious about it. (And self appointed allusion to a famous military round- the .303 Brit which had been around ten years by the time of the .303 Savage. Pretty good coat tails to ride on.)

Never forget Arthur Savage was an entrepreneur first and an inventor second. Heck just look at his name- it conjures up images of stark baseness without ever applying an Indian head to it and probably set his imagination to work by the time he was wearing short pants.

And he was English.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I suspect that the true rationale behind that decision went to the grave with Arthur.

Best answer so far...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never quite figured it out, except that maybe Arthur designed the cartridge first and then was talked into a .308" bore rifle by American investors/companies and found that he could combine them. Or, that the very early smokeless powders were so weak that he thought he needed to up the pressure this way to "beat" the competitors.

Third option I always wondered about was whether Marlin made the barrels as .308" even though Savage designed them for .311"?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by KeithNyst

Bore diameter of .30 caliber barrels is universally nominally .300 not .301, or .302, or .303, always has been, always will be.

We Americans sometimes use bore diameter to name cartridges, sometimes groove diameter. In the case of .30 calibers it's bore diameter (except for the pesky .308 Winchester and the red-headed step child the .303 Savage.

307 Winchester be another.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The real question is "why .30 caliber in the first place". Why not .29, or .31, or better yet .312" which is an even fraction of an inch- 5/16". And if you really want to count angels on the head of a pin, why not an even metric number like 7mm or 8mm. After all, the metric system was the only officially adopted measuring system in the U.S., since 10 years prior to the Savage rifle. It remains so to this day but obviously ignored by one and all. The English system of measurement was never officially adopted by Congress, but the Metric system was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.