Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yesterday, Saturday, was the opening day of squirrel season here in Missouri. First one I missed in almost 60 years, not counting time when Uncle Sam had me out of state and I even made some of those!. Got busy, weather got hot early in the day and just didn't go. Will have to rectify that tomorrow, Monday! Seems to be a good crop this spring.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good for you, hope you get some. Monday, here in NW In. is supposed to be hotter than h**l today and tomorrow.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Are there lots of ticks in Mo. at this time of year???? Haven't shot a tree squirrel in almost 20 years..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ticks, chiggers, snakes, poison ivy and 90* temperatures with high humidity. I went fishing instead...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I passed on opening day too. The ticks aren't a problem with a little Permitherin, but the heat and humidity at my age are getting really unpleasant. I'll do some crack of dawn hunts soon, hopefully after a little cooler weather. Good luck to you guys!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
From what I've experienced this spring this is a bumper year for ticks, at least in my part of the Ozarks around Rolla. I generally treat my clothes with Permitherin but failed to do so this year. It does work admirably!!! The snakes and poison ivy are of no concern but the heat and humidity, they're always a consideration.....which explains why I didn't go this morning. It was 72 when I got up at 4:45 and is supposed to be around 90 again today. Temps like that keep me off the water as well. No spring to speak of for us this year. Maybe I'll get up on the roof of my upper shop and shoot a couple as they come to raid the bird feeder. At least I'll be in the shade and not fighting chiggers and ticks.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thought about getting out this AM but I was unable to check zero on the 22 yesterday so decided to not chance it.

I have been hearing of how bad the ticks are but have only found 2 on me so far this year, neither were when I was spring turkey hunting, not sure if they were a little late getting out or what.

Won't be able to go shoot a bushytail for a couple weeks, traveling with the bride for her work on Friday and won't be back for 5 days but am hoping to get down in 2 weekends and kill a few daylight squirrels before the heat gets too bad. Saw a ton of young ones in turkey season.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck to you gentlemen, and good hunting. I have to wait until September for open season.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ticks liked to pack me off the other day while the wife and i explorered for mushrooms west of Rhineland

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sharps, which rimfire will you be taking out there for your hunt? I know it’ll have peep sites unless you’ve finally given in to a scopes rimfire.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Rimfire? Come now Jim, I have that nice old Jeffery Rook rifle I had re-lined to 25-20 WCF and load to 255 Jeffery ballistics. It will be the first to go out, then my Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling with the 22LR insert in the right shotgun barrel. THEN I'll break out the 455 F/S I got from you....unless the old Southern Mountain flinter in 36 cal. calls my name first. 'Course, Dad's old 74 Winchester probably hasn't been blooded in 30 years and it deserves a dance this year as well. Knowing me I'll rotate through them all as the season progresses. You know, the only one that carries an aperture sight is the 455 F/S. All others are still wearing open sights, I haven't surrendered to a scope yet. Even shot a 2 1/4 in., 6 shot composite group the other day with that ancient German double rifle I have. 50 yards, kneeling. Not bad for a 130+ year old rifle and a guy half its age....hehehe

Looks as if it's going to cool of a little by weekend and through part of next week. Maybe I'll get a little more serious then.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep forgetting just how many old school toys you have.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.