Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by 79S
We know you are a published writer and all

I didn't know . . . . can you please elaborate?

He had a hunting story published in some hunting mag.. so he's a published author. So we all should take what he says as gospel..

I have not once heard or read Ted say anything of the sort.

His post was out of line, but a referral to the thread would not have been.

Insert a lot of sarcasm when I wrote that.. I get it some folks not happy but every time someone asks about JES ol Ted is running to his computer and typing away saying the same thing. But this time he changed it up and said first shot. When I got my rebore done JEss told me to use 300 wsm, and that's all I use. Not [bleep] it what does he know, bang hey my primers are flat [bleep] it I'm going to crank it up little bang hey something wrong.. not saying justahunter did anything wrong, but let him give his opinion on what he thinks.

79S passionate today are we ?

I'm not losing any sleep on what you think is the "gospel" or not

Thank you for taking some time out of your day to think about me wink

As far as the first shot story......it was indeed his first shot with factory ammo that blew the gun up

That fact alone was enough reason to convince me to not use JES

Happy holidays to you 79S

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bottom line.... the fact my gun blew up was my fault. Never have denied it. The REASON the gun blew up was not my fault.

I know a thing or two about craftsmanship and attention to detail. I do not diss JES for making a mistake on my rifle. How he handled the situation is what I have a problem with...

Happy hunting,

Todd

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

As far as the first shot story......it was indeed his first shot with factory ammo that blew the gun up

Oh ok next time lead off with after firing several handloads through the rifle with erratic pressures and velocities he finally tried factory ammo. On the first shot the rifle blew up...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bought a new Model 70 years ago, on post deer season close out at Walmart in Butte Montana...
for like $250 or less... claw feed model...

I had Bob West, up in Eugene rebore it to 338/06, from the 270 factory barrel..

Bob was one of the last guys to train under P.O. Ackley...and he was buzzing 90 at the time..

Turned out Great....very accurate, and people give me grief when I report the MV, but its higher
than most people think it should be... when I load it to book reload data...

Bob only took the job, as I had been sent by someone he knew who lived locally..

he normally only did high profile celebs at the time...showed me guns he was doing for Hank Williams Jr.
Tom Selleck, and a couple of others... Hank Jr called while I was there.... and Bob's wife was calling him
to come help with something for a minute... so he hands me the phone, and said, Hank... John, John.. Hank..
so I talked guns with Hank Jr for about 5 minutes... which was kinda cool...

he wasn't a snob.. just a plain old southern boy, told him I was born where his dad had died....Mercer County WVa...
his drawl immediately brought out my drawl, so he asked, saying you aren't an Oregon native, ....

just a side note to go with an accurate shooting wild cat I always wanted in a rifle I wanted it chambered in...

Bob West charged me something like $175 or so for the rebore...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Oh ok next time lead off with after firing several handloads through the rifle with erratic pressures and velocities he finally tried factory ammo. On the first shot the rifle blew up...

The next time?..... I can try to care less?

But it couldn't be possible to do so

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own two rifle rebores from the now retired and somewhat legendary Cliff LaBounty, a J.P. Sauer pre-war Mauser from 30 Gvnt to 35 Whelen and a simple M700 270 Win to 338-06. This done 25 years ago. Both shoot very, very well, and the latter is a favorite elk rifle. My two other rebores are both 38 WCF's in a 4" Smith M28-2 and the other a 6-1/2" 38 WCF built on an old Ruger Flattop 357. They too shoot very well. They were done by Al Siegrist.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Justahunter
I had JES rebore a sporter 03a3 to 35 Whelen for me. It was accurate enough but I was able to get over 3000 FPS with 225 grain handloads.

I cannot understand why things went any further than this. Once you saw 3000 fps with 225s, things should have come to a screeeeeeeeching halt, right now if not sooner. Maybe the rebore job was not as it should have been, but the blown up rifle is ALL yours.

Exactly!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
I had JES rebore a sporter 03a3 to 35 Whelen for me. It was accurate enough but I was able to get over 3000 FPS with 225 grain handloads.

I cannot understand why things went any further than this. Once you saw 3000 fps with 225s, things should have come to a screeeeeeeeching halt, right now if not sooner. Maybe the rebore job was not as it should have been, but the blown up rifle is ALL yours.

Exactly!

Explain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .35 Whelen is capable of about 2700 fps shooting a 225 with typical barrel lengths and optimal powder choice. When you see 3000 fps, that's a big red flag and a dire warning. An extra 50 fps wouldn't scare me but I'd take a closer look at what I'm doing. An extra 300 fps would scare the hell out of me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .35 Whelen is capable of about 2700 fps shooting a 225 with typical barrel lengths and optimal powder choice. When you see 3000 fps, that's a big red flag and a dire warning. An extra 50 fps wouldn't scare me but I'd take a closer look at what I'm doing. An extra 300 fps would scare the hell out of me.

It concerned justahunter as well

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion, the thing to do would be to figure out where all this extra velocity was coming from, and the rifle should not have been fired again until that matter was settled satisfactorily. The blowup was preventable and it's my position that only he is responsible for that. I understand the frustration, but to go ahead and continue firing it when a known but unresolved issue exists is not excusable. I think I'd have had the rifle checked out by a competent gunsmith if I had been unable to figure it out on my own.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I had a rifle rebored by JES during this timeframe, that exhibited high pressures. It was a 7600 30-06 rebore to 35 Whelen with a 3 groove, 1:10 twist.

I blew a couple of primers, with handloads, and then again with factory loads. When I say blown primers, I mean blown completely out of the brass....found in the magazine of my 7600, and smoke boiling out the action. I called Jesse and explained the issues. He had me return the rifle to him.....I also sent him the cases, with the blown primers....and a few factory loads and reloads, in a separate shipment.

About 7-10 days later, the gun was back, along with a detailed explanation of the work done to fix it. Seems the throat was tight because of a worn throating tool. He recut it and then shot all the ammo I sent. He returned the cases, for my inspection. He also reloaded a few, with the same 310 grain woodleigh bullet, somewhat hotter than what I was shooting, and sent that brass also. All loads were chronegraphed, and he supplied that data too.

In my book, he stood by his work. Recognized there was a problem and made it right. And, went above and beyond what he had to do, to make sure all was correct and safe, when he was done.

No doubt "justahunter" had issues with his work, too. Quite possibly the same issue I had. But remember, there are 2 sides to each story....and we have only heard from him, and not Jesse.

I have no problem with him, and have recommended JES to friends. They have had work done since my experience, and the results have been stellar.

Andy3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys are a funny lot.. the first hint of problems I had I did call him and was unpolitely told there was nothing wrong with my gun and that the problems I was having was with my reloads. No offer to return the rifle to inspect, no nothing other than I was told to shoot factory ammo and my problems would go away. I couldn’t find factory ammo. I had some success getting it to shoot with IMR 4895. I was getting max load pressure and velocity with loads that were 2 grains below minimum. Called him again. Had no less than 5 or 6 calls to him. He was very unwilling to even entertain the thought his work or tooling was faulty. I Was told not to call him unless factory ammo was doing it. Found the only box of factory ammo within 200 miles of me. I knew the factory ammo was going to blow my gun up. I done it to prove a point. I’m glad he is now inspecting other peoples rifles if they call him with a problem.

You’re welcome.

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 05/29/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opinion, the thing to do would be to figure out where all this extra velocity was coming from, and the rifle should not have been fired again until that matter was settled satisfactorily. The blowup was preventable and it's my position that only he is responsible for that. I understand the frustration, but to go ahead and continue firing it when a known but unresolved issue exists is not excusable. I think I'd have had the rifle checked out by a competent gunsmith if I had been unable to figure it out on my own.

Just keep forking out money huh? And get told by a competent gunsmith that I shouldn’t of had it rebored and a new barrel is the only fix? Just keep stacking those hundred dollar bills until a service I paid for is corrected by another gunsmith that didn’t have a dog in the fight? That seems to be everybody’s answer. Not mine. The smith that created the problem should have at least offered to look at it. I’m glad he is now.

I’m sure glad the THOUSANDS of rounds a year I load for, for any other gun I’ve ever had my fingers on have never given me any problems before. Sure I’ve had a sticky bolt and a separated case head in the past, just like anybody who loads is going too. But that’s it..

Sure glad I had to blow up this 338-06 to get it to shoot well. I used the same military brass to make ammo for this rifle. ZERO problems!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12424437/1

Todd

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

You guys are a funny lot.. the first hint of problems I had I did call him and was unpolitely told there was nothing wrong with my gun and that the problems I was having was with my reloads. No offer to return the rifle to inspect, no nothing other than I was told to shoot factory ammo and my problems would go away. I couldn’t find factory ammo. I had some success getting it to shoot with IMR 4895. I was getting max load pressure and velocity with loads that were 2 grains below minimum. Called him again. Had no less than 5 or 6 calls to him. He was very unwilling to even entertain the thought his work or tooling was faulty. I Was told not to call him unless factory ammo was doing it. Found the only box of factory ammo within 200 miles of me. I knew the factory ammo was going to blow my gun up. I done it to prove a point. I’m glad he is now inspecting other peoples rifles if they call him with a problem.

You’re welcome.

Todd

Todd, No need to thank you......I had the same conversations with Jesse, during the same timeframe, and we worked it out, with no issues.

My WAG would be your phone call with Jesse, caused you more problems, that the gun did.......

Andy3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Andy3
I had a rifle rebored by JES during this timeframe, that exhibited high pressures. It was a 7600 30-06 rebore to 35 Whelen with a 3 groove, 1:10 twist.

I blew a couple of primers, with handloads, and then again with factory loads. When I say blown primers, I mean blown completely out of the brass....found in the magazine of my 7600, and smoke boiling out the action. I called Jesse and explained the issues. He had me return the rifle to him.....I also sent him the cases, with the blown primers....and a few factory loads and reloads, in a separate shipment.

About 7-10 days later, the gun was back, along with a detailed explanation of the work done to fix it. Seems the throat was tight because of a worn throating tool. He recut it and then shot all the ammo I sent. He returned the cases, for my inspection. He also reloaded a few, with the same 310 grain woodleigh bullet, somewhat hotter than what I was shooting, and sent that brass also. All loads were chronegraphed, and he supplied that data too.

In my book, he stood by his work. Recognized there was a problem and made it right. And, went above and beyond what he had to do, to make sure all was correct and safe, when he was done.

No doubt "justahunter" had issues with his work, too. Quite possibly the same issue I had. But remember, there are 2 sides to each story....and we have only heard from him, and not Jesse.

I have no problem with him, and have recommended JES to friends. They have had work done since my experience, and the results have been stellar.

Andy3

It would appear, if you are the same Andy#3 who posted in this thread: Accurate Reloading Forums: Some Very Wierd Happenings. .35 Whelen Problems, that you may well have benefited from Justahunter's and Recoil Rob's misfortunes prior to your situation. It's not a stretch to surmise that as more customers having pressure problems with .35 Whelen rebores started to surface, that JES came to realize he needed to get ahead of the problem. If all stated in the thread posted by Justahunter is true, JES refused to acknowledge any possibility of a problem with his situation in the beginning. That's not the right way to deal with a customer.

Quotes from the thread linked above:

Originally Posted by Andy#3 05 March 2018 18:29, Accurate Reloading Forums
I had JES rebore a 30-06 to 35 Whelen, about the time this thread kicked off. Mine had issues too, as it kept blowing primers on multiple loads. I contacted him and he had me send it back. I also shipped a few round of the loads I was using. He sent it back, with a note, and the empty cases for my inspection. He even shot some of his own reloads, and he chrono'd all the shots. He also provided the chronograph results. He had to re-throat the chamber and all was good, after that. The rifle has a 3 groove, 1:10" twist, and shoots everything I've tried, into an inch. Bottom line, it was messed up and he made it right. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Andy#3

And a few quotes from Recoil Rob and DIs that follow.

Originally Posted by Recoil Rob 05 March 2018 19:00, Accurate Reloading Forums
Surprised that I never followed up on this thread...

After several phone calls back and forth with JES last year I sent my gun back to him. He mentioned that he had discovered his tooling was worn and that the throat needed to be recut. He also opened my bore up to the specified .354/.359.

I have not gotten around to retesting, that's for this spring.

Originally Posted by DIs 06 March 2018 01:49, Accurate Reloading Forums
Recoil Rob, That is pretty important information to forget and leave out. He Fixed the problem. I have had nothing but good to say about Jess also.

Originally Posted by Recoil Rob 06 March 2018 02:14, Accurate Reloading Forums
You'll have to excuse me, it was settled well after this thread went dormant.

JES did rectify the situation, but only after numerous denials that he did anything wrong, even when faced with multiple customer complaints. He kept insisting it was a load problem, only when pressed did he inspect his tooling and realize it was worn.

These are just the facts, I have nothing against JES, might use them again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was very courteous and polite on the phone with him. It was about the third conversation of him blaming me that I got a little off put. He was bad to begin with but when I got off put, he definitely got worse.

Todd

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Todd, He said the same to me, regarding handloads. But it got his attention when I told him the same happened with 2 different factory loads (Federal 225 grain TBBC and Remington 250 grain coreloks)....that's when I offered to send him the rifle, along with the empties a few factory rounds to test, for himself.

Too bad things didn't turn out better for you.

Andy3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JES is going to do a 50-70 single shot for me if I ever come across a 45-70 or 500 S&W donor at a good price. Actually if I stumble across a 500 S&W I might just call it good and be happy with that.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So what did you guys go with for rate of twist and number of grooves? What is the benefit of more grooves anyway?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 1badf350, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,204
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.