-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The ‘Fire, 7:30 PM, Some Time, Some Where, in the Fall. Maybe Alaska.

Four tired, old guys — old friends — in camp are sitting on scrounged, weather-fractured, grey stumps in the amber glow of a crackling fire. Except, one, has taken half a handful of Ibuprofen and gone off quietly to his cot. The second has risen from his perch stiffly and slowly shuffled out to the dark perimeter to take a leak, only the second time since supper.

Of the two left, one is washing down his stool softener with some Pepto Bismo, while extolling the virtues of his favorite cartridge because he stopped the standing, quizzical, young bull with only four rounds. The fourth and last, with a punctuated spit into the fire, hasn’t heard a word because the batteries in his hearing aids have quit.

🙂

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Four tired, old guys — old friends — in camp are sitting on scrounged, weather-fractured, grey stumps in the amber glow of a crackling fire. Except, one, has taken half a handful of Ibuprofen and gone off quietly to his cot. The second has risen from his perch stiffly and slowly shuffled out to the dark perimeter to take a leak, only the second time since supper.

Of the two left, one is washing down his stool softener with some Pepto Bismo, while extolling the virtues of his favorite cartridge because he stopped the standing, quizzical, young bull with only four rounds. The fourth and last, with a punctuated spit into the fire, hasn’t heard a word because the batteries in his hearing aids have quit.

🙂

OMG! That's hilarious!

Only because of the truth.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Maybe youse fellers wear the same extrytuffs?!

Thinking more along the line of pumps...

wink

Ouch.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

🙂

OMG! That's hilarious!

Very well done... had me laughing out loud at each twist.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Maybe youse fellers wear the same extrytuffs?!

Thinking more along the line of pumps...

wink

Ouch.

Pumps ain't really made to be comfortable...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I guess you would know! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess you would know! wink

Ouch!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

🙂

George..,..you've been in my Geezer Ridge Camp!

Good story George!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very funny.

And true......😁

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once found a similar fishing camp on the South end of Paxson Lake.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
The name used Buckshot came from hunting deer in the thick woods so in the early days deer hunters loaded big shot in their shotgun "muzzle loader type at first" then when shotgun shells were perfected bigger lead shot was loaded and used on deer at close range when deer ran and it got the name buckshot,some states it is still legal to use yet also. The guys I worked with said when they were sent to Viet Nam the wing guys on patrol used a shotgun with buckshot ,was said Charlie" viet cong" did not like when that lead came their way.

Remington made flachettie (sp?) shells for 12 gauge shotguns in Vietnam. They looked like a shell filled with headless nails. with the pointy end facing Charlie.

Using an '06 makes a lot of sense. A hunter could be using it on coyotes, deer, elk, moose, antelope and so forth. Getting a lot of practice along the way. For me, partitions will always be my first choice for penetration and effectiveness. And as far as '06's go, if I added up all the game I've shot with different cartridges, the 06 would be at least 50%.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by pete53
The name used Buckshot came from hunting deer in the thick woods so in the early days deer hunters loaded big shot in their shotgun "muzzle loader type at first" then when shotgun shells were perfected bigger lead shot was loaded and used on deer at close range when deer ran and it got the name buckshot,some states it is still legal to use yet also. The guys I worked with said when they were sent to Viet Nam the wing guys on patrol used a shotgun with buckshot ,was said Charlie" viet cong" did not like when that lead came their way.

Remington made flachettie (sp?) shells for 12 gauge shotguns in Vietnam. They looked like a shell filled with headless nails. with the pointy end facing Charlie.

Using an '06 makes a lot of sense. A hunter could be using it on coyotes, deer, elk, moose, antelope and so forth. Getting a lot of practice along the way. For me, partitions will always be my first choice for penetration and effectiveness. And as far as '06's go, if I added up all the game I've shot with different cartridges, the 06 would be at least 50%.

Sadly, we are a bit short on antelope here...

wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A bit?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

🙂

OMG! That's hilarious!

I swear he's a sneaky bastid, never saw him slink into our camp!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

🙂

Very funny, but you forgot to mention the 5th old guy who does not get out of his tent to pee outside, specially on cold nights. This old guy keeps a "pee pot" right under his cot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

Beware the man with one gun...

Because he spent the rest of his money on whiskey and women?

(Notice I didn't say wasted!)

No, because he is broke and desperate and obviously has all his priorities screwed up.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ray, brevity prevented too many details.

5:30 AM

But, that’s actually the guy — Wendall R —whose fireside regimen is the stool softener, the slug of JD, then the Pepto Bismo chaser because both Kenny’s cooking and JDs give him heartburn. However, at just a biscuit below 280 he has obviously refrained from neither. To be very honest, Wendall is not a very handy or very precise guy; though he likes to expound on guns and cartridges, he is semi-kiddingly called “pie-plate” because once his Alaskan rifle gets three into a pie plate on their improvised 100 yd range, he “checks that box” — all is good. “Pie-plate” covers other of WR’s inclinations quite well too.

Wendall’s bulk makes the nightly 2 am extraction from a bag and cot, out into the 20* fresh air “way low” (Wendall picked up the use of “way” as a substitute for “very” from his kids) on the option list. Thus the empty fruit can that Wendall has is filled by morning except for the night he knocked it over soaking some of Kenny’s socks. Kenny was in the slightly lower corner of the tent on the same side, and on the receiving end of the floor tarp wrinkles that acted as a raceway.

The dawn came twice that morning. The first with the usual cold, pale sunrise, the second in Kenny’s mind as the propane stove began to warm up the tent and his wet socks.

Kenny was late at the griddle that morning as he was busy with some interior tent and sleeping rearrangements. The other guys were already at the crackling fire with egg-coffee brewing, but could hear the muffled, but punctuated exchanges over twenty yards away. Henry had new hearing aid batteries in place and Jake was already back from his first wizz at the wood pile.

* characters I have known even if very briefly *

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certainly a testimonial for floorless tents.

Great story!

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VernAK
Certainly a testimonial for floorless tents.

Great story!

+ one more. Real good story.

S
S
I have opted for a takedown model with three barrels, 25-06, 30-06 and 338-06. My some is a huge fan of the 45-70 Marlin, he understands his limited range, and is good about passing up shots he doesn't like. There's just not much that runs away with a 45-70 in vitals.

My next thing is to really learn more about reloading for winter hunts.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.