Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm planning on building 22/250 on a remington 600 with a 22'' barrel, anybody care to show some pics

Last edited by mooshoo; 06/03/18.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not a camo person, but when your 10yr old grandson wants it that way it becomes camo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is where I learned that a custom receiver was cheaper than a properly squared up factory receiver.
Receiver was squared and lightened. Milled slot to allow a loaded 6X47 Lapua to eject. Rear receiver screw opened and threaded for 1/4X28. An Anschutz bolt release. A fluted PT&G bolt fitted to the reamed receiver, .062 firing pin, and a 3 POS safety.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I'm not a camo person, but when your 10yr old grandson wants it that way it becomes camo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is where I learned that a custom receiver was cheaper than a properly squared up factory receiver.
Receiver was squared and lightened. Milled slot to allow a loaded 6X47 Lapua to eject. Rear receiver screw opened and threaded for 1/4X28. An Anschutz bolt release. A fluted PT&G bolt fitted to the reamed receiver, .062 firing pin, and a 3 POS safety.

I'm sure it was expensive but it's cool as hell! Bet it shoots...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes Sir, it shoots pretty well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That seems to be the opinion of a number of knowledgeable people these days. Unless the donor is free, maybe not even then, it looks like custom is the way to go unless you just have to have an M70 or 98 maybe.

Time is another "expense" for some of us. No sense having a nice rifle built if when it's finished you're too old to use it!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
have a 600 or 660, not sure which actually, with a Rock 284 Win chambered tube on it. Old custom glass stock. Micky did the work years ago. ITs never even been put together or shot yet... but the need for it to be done is coming up quicker than I thought... maybe this fall...

Thinking I need a new trigger though, the factory one won't adjust the way I like it...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can help you if you’d like, just finished a 22-250ai for another member.
www.shaenrifles.com

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a custom Remington 600 with a 700 take off barrel in 250-3000 installed on it. I almost bought it, wasnt a bad looking rifle at all.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well I have always loved the Remington 600 and 660 actions. In the last couple of years I have had a custom 22-250, 250-3000 and 260 built using either a 600 or 660 action. Which one do you want pictures of? I also purchased custom 600s in 6MM Rem and 7MM08 someone else had built. These small rifles make great first guns for my grand kids. Of course we only have nine grand kids and one great great grandson on the way. So I am always watching for good buys on 600 and 660 rifles!

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Other than the bolt how do the 600s series differ from the model 7?

What was needed to fit a 6mm Rem in a 600?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Other than the bolt how do the 600s series differ from the model 7?

What was needed to fit a 6mm Rem in a 600?

The actions are virtually the same except for the tang length. However this tang length difference is what creates other differences. The short tang of the 600/660 forced them to move the trigger shoe much farther forward in the trigger housing to allow for better clearances for the triggerguard and rear action screw. Next issue is the trigger being so far forward doesn't allow room for a hinged floorplate. The forward trigger is also why they used the dog leg bolt handle - to give your trigger finger better clearance.

So the main differences are:
-bolt handles
-bolt release
-bottom metal
-trigger position

Last edited by bigJ; 06/06/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to find a custom stock for my 660 in .222.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have these reworked 600/660s:

22-250 built with these components; 600 action, 700 SPS 24" Stainless Barrel, CVMW Bottom Metal, and a Richards Microfit Stock.

243 built with these components; 600 Mohawk action, 700 SPS 24" Barrel, CVMW Bottom Metal, and a Brown Stock.

257 Roberts built with these components; 660 action, 700 ADL 22" Barrel, CVMW Bottom Metal, and a Factory Stock.

260 built with these components; 660 action, 700 MR 22' Barrel, Williams Trigger Guard, and a McM Mountain Rifle Stock.

308 built with these components; 660 action, 700 SPS 24" Barrel, CVMW Bottom Metal, and a McM Old Style Sako Stock.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The trigger housing is different , so you cannot use a mod7 or 700 trigger in it. The housing will not clear the rear tang receiver screw.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know you have to buy a trigger specifically for that gun. I don't even know if they are still made. Be nice if Shilen made one for them reasonably priced and for the 788s I still have too!

Other than that I might have to work with springs and such if you can't buy a new trigger... Time and or money, and unfortunately both at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Does a 660 count? Mine was a 243, put a McMillan model 7 handle, timney trigger, had the rear action drilled and tapped, installed Talley’s, factory duped a 8” fluted Hart chambered to 6 ai... one of if not my favorite buck hammer....
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve got a Remington take off barrel and I’m going to order a Timmy trigger for it

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I'm planning on building 22/250 on a remington 600 with a 22'' barrel, anybody care to show some pics

Here's a .22-250 (8) twist Shilen #2, 22" on a Mohawk with aluminum bottom metal, Timney trigger, glassed and free floated.

Not that much custom work, but you get an ideal what the 22" barrel looks like. Much better balance with additional forward mass. This one is a tack driver with heavier bullets.

Go at least 8 twist... Check out this group with a MidwayUSA "80" gr. Hornady TAP/SBR bullets that actually weigh around 72 gr., although advertised as 80 gr. It's one of Hornady's short barrel rifle (SBR) bullets for .223 tactical. Midway sells a lot of Hornady surplus stuff, doesn't use their name. I had to figure out what this bullet was. http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr These bullets are not a catalog item, only available as surplus and no longer listed by Midway.

Not sure what they will do to a hog at 3,100 fps or so. One of these days...

This gun does very well with other 75 and 80 gr. bullets. Go fast twist, works well with lighter bullets, too.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My 600 started out life as a .243, then I put on a 23" 22-250ai barrel, bedded the factory stock, upgraded to the aluminum trigger guard from the guy on here that makes them (CVMW?). Then I rebarreled to a 23" saami 22-250 1 in 8 #3 contour Douglas, and dropped it in a McMillan Rem Hunter. Hands down my favorite rifle.

MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Mine was a 6 mm Rem. with a very tired barrel.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
I know you have to buy a trigger specifically for that gun. I don't even know if they are still made.

Timney makes one for the 600 series.

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ive got a mohawk 600 243 that i am considering going the custom route. But still on the fence...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Does a 660 count? Mine was a 243, put a McMillan model 7 handle, timney trigger, had the rear action drilled and tapped, installed Talley’s, factory duped a 8” fluted Hart chambered to 6 ai... one of if not my favorite buck hammer....
[Linked Image]

I like that a lot! Who built it for you?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is the most recent (and hopefully last) one I built. I trued the action and bolt, fluted the bolt, shortened and reprofiled the shroud, added the 4th hole to use 2-piece mounts, removed the ejection port overhang, slabbed the action, removed the bolt lock down lever and safety knob which I replaced with a smaller more modern design, gunkoted the action, machined a custom adl style triggerguard that put the trigger where it’s supposed to be, stock is a wildcat composites m7 pattern that I had them adl, the barrel is a factory m7 take off in 260. As pictured it weighed in right at 5lbs.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigJ; 06/07/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Judman
[Linked Image]

I like that a lot! Who built it for you?

Steve Kostanich here in Chehalis, built several for me, and will build more...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigJ
Here is the most recent (and hopefully last) one I built. I trued the action and bolt, fluted the bolt, shortened and reprofiled the shroud, added the 4th hole to use 2-piece mounts, removed the ejection port overhang, slabbed the action, removed the bolt lock down lever and safety knob which I replaced with a smaller more modern design, gunkoted the action, machined a custom adl style triggerguard that put the trigger where it’s supposed to be, stock is a wildcat composites m7 pattern that I had them adl, the barrel is a factory m7 take off in 260. As pictured it weighed in right at 5lbs.

[Linked Image]

That horns me up right there.... cool rifle...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That’s what I was thinking. I have a 600 .223 in an H&S stock that I might go to whittling on...

Correction, it’s a .222. I could see a 19” 6x45 in its future.

Last edited by Shooter71; 06/08/18.

I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im assuming this crowd would know, does McMillan offer 600 inletting?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image]

I especially like what you did with the trigger guard. Turning a M-700 ADL trigger guard around leaves the trigger sitting way forward, doesn't look that good to me.

Your approach is about ideal, IMO. Someone needs to machine your pattern and sell it. The trigger guard issue is the main reason I won't use the McM stock. If I had access to your trigger guard, maybe.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes, but they only inlet the trigger guard for a reversed 700 ADL trigger guard that, IMO, looks dorky. I have a couple of 600/660 McMillan stocks and reinletted the bottom of one of them to fit the CVMW Bottom metal, as I like the way it looks better than the reversed 700 ADL trigger guard.

Anybody who has a 600/660, regardless of the make/model of the stock, would almost certainly prefer the CVMW alloy bottom metal to any other metal or synthetic options out there. The factory plastic units almost always bow in time, a corner than Remington didn't need to cut. Willie Manning's after-market 600/660 bottom metal is the best I've seen and I've probably bought a half-dozen or more of them from him.

Willie Manning
Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Willie Manning
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

+1

My Mohawk wears his bottom metal.

Plastic EOM piece is pure junk.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Willie Manning
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

+1

DF

I would rather have Bigj's trigger guard, McM inletted for it.

I think there would be a market. Not sure how much it would cost to set up milling in aluminum or a good cast part properly polished and anodized. Even that part in a good synthetic may not be that bad. The shape is what's so good. The backwards 700 ADL trigger guard, IMO, is ugly enough to keep me from building one.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Willie Manning
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

+1

DF

I would rather have Bigj's trigger guard, McM inletted for it.

I think there would be a market. Not sure how much it would cost to set up milling in aluminum or a good cast part properly polished and anodized. Even that part in a good synthetic may not be that bad. The shape is what's so good. The backwards 700 ADL trigger guard, IMO, is ugly enough to keep me from building one.

DF

If I was making BigJ's trigger guard, I'd make the foot print the same as the backward M-700 part to avoid a special bottom inlet by McM.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If I was making BigJ's trigger guard, I'd make the foot print the same as the backward M-700 part to avoid a special bottom inlet by McM.

DF

That’s exactly how I did it. The base of my triggerguard is the same dimensions as a factory ADL triggerguard, the triggerguard opening is just moved further forward. The rear screw hole uses the rear action screw as one would expect, the front screw hole is blind (located where the front of the triggerguard hits the base) and tapped for a hidden screw which comes from the inside of the stocks mag well where I used a button head capscrew to secure the front of the trigger guard.

I am not setup for production, but someone like Willie Manning could crank something similar out for reasonable money I’m sure. And since he is so well known in 600/660 circles already, that’s who you should approach.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 350 RM with after market (Douglas) barrel, kevlar stock, steel trigger guard and Timney trigger. It shoots quite well. It's stock needs to be repainted though. It's been hunted.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/08/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

That’s exactly how I did it. The base of my triggerguard is the same dimensions as a factory ADL triggerguard, the triggerguard opening is just moved further forward. The rear screw hole uses the rear action screw as one would expect, the front screw hole is blind (located where the front of the triggerguard hits the base) and tapped for a hidden screw which comes from the inside of the stocks mag well where I used a button head capscrew to secure the front of the trigger guard.

I am not setup for production, but someone like Willie Manning could crank something similar out for reasonable money I’m sure. And since he is so well known in 600/660 circles already, that’s who you should approach.

If I had working drawings or detailed photos, I may check with Willie.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

DF

If I had working drawings or detailed photos, I may check with Willie.

DF

I wonder how small the market would be for this trigger guard?

I have 3 McM Mountain Rifle style stocks inletted for the 600/660 action that are just sitting on a shelf collecting dust because I don't want to use the backward 700 ADL trigger guard and I don't want to reduce their resale value by inletting them for the factory specs plastic or CVMW after-market alloy bottom metal.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good question. Willie sells enough of his excellent aluminum bottom metal to keep him making them.

Probably a smaller market for this part. It would be nice to have them available. Programming a CNC would take some doing but cheaper than setting up injection molding. Once set up, ejection molding would be cheaper per unit, just take a lot of units to cover start up costs. CNC would probably be the most reasonable choice for a smaller market. Not sure how Willie makes his.

I’d buy one.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My 222 wears one of the Coquille aluminum upgrades. Love it. Just want a short compact synthetic stock of some kind.

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My 222 wears one of the Coquille aluminum upgrades. Love it. Just want a short compact synthetic stock of some kind.

A McM Compact/Edge with BigJ’s trigger guard would be just about perfect.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A McM Compact/Edge with BigJ’s trigger guard would be just about perfect.

DF

I would buy four of the duplicate style of BigJ's trigger guard to use on the dusty McMs and the 260 with the reversed 700 ADL trigger gurard that I already have.

It would be nice if McM would inlet for the factory bottom plastic, so that folks had the easy option of installing one of Willie's after-market alloy units without having to reinlet a $500+/- stock themselves.

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Here's a .22-250 (8) twist Shilen #2, 22" on a Mohawk with aluminum bottom metal, Timney trigger, glassed and free floated.

Not that much custom work, but you get an ideal what the 22" barrel looks like. Much better balance with additional forward mass. This one is a tack driver with heavier bullets.

Go at least 8 twist... Check out this group with a MidwayUSA "80" gr. Hornady TAP/SBR bullets that actually weigh around 72 gr., although advertised as 80 gr. It's one of Hornady's short barrel rifle (SBR) bullets for .223 tactical. Midway sells a lot of Hornady surplus stuff, doesn't use their name. I had to figure out what this bullet was. http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr These bullets are not a catalog item, only available as surplus and no longer listed by Midway.

Not sure what they will do to a hog at 3,100 fps or so. One of these days...

This gun does very well with other 75 and 80 gr. bullets. Go fast twist, works well with lighter bullets, too.

that's what I call cool old school!

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

It would be nice if McM would inlet for the factory bottom plastic, so that folks had the easy option of installing one of Willie's after-market alloy units without having to reinlet a $500+/- stock themselves.

Yes, yes it would. I only have one Remington bolt action and I don't want to learn all the in's and out's of them, I just want a drop in stock.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought this 308 new in 1974 as a M600 Mowhawk. Killed many deer and hogs with it and it changed a lot over the years, It has always shot MOA or better with 150's and 168's. RJ
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rj308
I bought this 308 new in 1974 as a M600 Mowhawk. Killed many deer and hogs with it and it changed a lot over the years, It has always shot MOA or better with 150's and 168's. RJ
[Linked Image]

Details on that stock.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

Sure it was a Mohawk not a normal 600? The short shroud and silver bolt handle are 600 style not mohawk. The Mohawk had an overlength shroud (like they use on m7’s) and the handle was blued. The action was also marked “Mohawk” .

Last edited by bigJ; 06/10/18.
S
S
I own a Rem 600 in .35 Rem and I believe that one visual difference is that the Mohawk does not have the ventilated rib.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

That makes a 600 look GOOD! That is a beautiful little rifle.

One of the first rifles I ever bought, at age 18, was a vent-ribbed 600 .308. It would shoot, but it beat the stuffin's out of me, at a hefty 135lbs, I was pretty skinny back then. I decided a 700BDL would kick me less, so I sold it and bought the 700. It would NOT shoot worth a crap. I think that started me down the road of looneyism for awhile.
I think I've overcome the looneyism now, but now I have a rimfire affliction.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swampdude
I own a Rem 600 in .35 Rem and I believe that one visual difference is that the Mohawk does not have the ventilated rib.

The 600 also has a much thinner barrel profile than the Mohawk, and the trigger was black on the 600, and gold plated on the Mohawk.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check with 24hcf member firearms44. He loves 600s and has a few that he made into customs. One was a 358winchester

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dirtfarmer, The stock was from Richards micro-fit. Micro-fit, my ass. The barreled action would not begin to fit into the stock and the outside was more like a blank. Anyway, first round, it turned out to be a much larger stock than I wanted. I put it back into the original Mohawk hardwood stock and hunted it for the next 20 years. I finally got the walnut stock out slimmed and whittled it down to my liking, oil finished it, put an ebony fore end tip on it and sent it off for checkering.

bigj, I'm absolutely sure it is a Mohawk, it does have it stamped on the action. When I bought it in 1974 for $149, before shooting it, I stripped down the barreled action and sent it off to Marker Machine Company in Charleston, Illinois and had the bore, chamber and bolt hard chromed. When I shot it after that, it would shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups with my hand loads and has ever since. Factory loads usually shoot under an inch. And the bore cleans with only a few strokes. RJ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

bigj, I'm absolutely sure it is a Mohawk, it does have it stamped on the action. When I bought it in 1974 for $149, before shooting it, I stripped down the barreled action and sent it off to Marker Machine Company in Charleston, Illinois and had the bore, chamber and bolt hard chromed. When I shot it after that, it would shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups with my hand loads and has ever since. Factory loads usually shoot under an inch. And the bore cleans with only a few strokes. RJ

Thanks RJ for the clarification.
The chromed handle, abbreviated shroud, and black trigger shoe all had me convinced it was a 600.
Nice rifle, for sure.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the compliments. There is a hidden advantage in that "dog leg" bolt handle. With the bolt knob back toward the center of the bolt length, you have less tendency for the bolt to bind in the receiver race-way. It makes for a smooth bolt throw, similar to a Tikka, (well, almost). I forgot who sold that steel bottom metal. but it was a good upgrade. After a couple of years the factory plastic "bottom metal" tends to warp. RJ

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dirtfarmer, The stock was from Richards micro-fit. Micro-fit, my ass. The barreled action would not begin to fit into the stock and the outside was more like a blank. Anyway, first round, it turned out to be a much larger stock than I wanted. I put it back into the original Mohawk hardwood stock and hunted it for the next 20 years. I finally got the walnut stock out slimmed and whittled it down to my liking, oil finished it, put an ebony fore end tip on it and sent it off for checkering.

Richards "micro-fit" is anything but.;;

They do have a nice selection of wood and styles, but their in-letting looks like something done by a drunk beaver... Worst in-letting I've ever seen.

Too bad we can't have Richards wood and style selections with Boyd in-letting...

Oh well...

That's a nice stock, even though it took a bunch of work.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I built a 600 five years ago out of a .308 Win. factory gun that was one of my least favorites into what has become one of my favorite rifles ever.

I screwed on a M7 barrel in .260 Rem. and installed the Timney trigger, and the after-market aluminum trigger guard and mag.

The balance of the gun with the short barrel just begged to be stocked as a Mannlicher to me. So I found a nice piece of French and had a friend put it together.

It loves the Barnes 130 gr. TSX and I've taken several animals (pronghorn and whitetails) with it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I built a 600 five years ago out of a .308 Win. factory gun that was one of my least favorites into what has become one of my favorite rifles ever.

I screwed on a M7 barrel in .260 Rem. and installed the Timney trigger, and the after-market aluminum trigger guard and mag.

The balance of the gun with the short barrel just begged to be stocked as a Mannlicher to me. So I found a nice piece of French and had a friend put it together.

It loves the Barnes 130 gr. TSX and I've taken several animals (pronghorn and whitetails) with it.

Pictures?

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have some pics, but no luck compressing them enough to load here.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 06/11/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Open an Imgur account. Very easy to operate and free.

You can size photos.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Would like to see that. ^^^^^

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have some pics, but no luck compressing them enough to load here.

If you have trouble, email them to me and I'll put them on Imgur and post here.

Send me a PM for details.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GrouseChaser's custom .260. Nice wood, well done project.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/12/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a lot of favorite guns, 600/660 Remington being at he top of the list. I also love a Mannlicher stocked rifles. I currently have a 600 in every factory caliber with the acception of the rare .223. I couldn't imagine taking one and having it customized, Kind of like taking your kid to get a tattoo, but if I ran across one already customized. I would want it to be the above rifle. That is one nice rifle. LOve the figured wood and the Mannlicher stock. I need to become good friends with Grousechaser. maybe he will pass it this way in his will. LOL

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I have a lot of favorite guns, 600/660 Remington being at he top of the list. I also love a Mannlicher stocked rifles. I currently have a 600 in every factory caliber with the acception of the rare .223. I couldn't imagine taking one and having it customized, Kind of like taking your kid to get a tattoo, but if I ran across one already customized. I would want it to be the above rifle. That is one nice rifle. LOve the figured wood and the Mannlicher stock. I need to become good friends with Grousechaser. maybe he will pass it this way in his will. LOL

I couldn't get rid of the original plastic trigger guard, flexi barrel rib, and the slap of the .308 cartridge fast enough! Kind of like I'd do with a nose ring or tattoo on my kid! (if I had one....). Tell ya what, I'll put this 260 in my will to you, if you'll put your .264 WM in your will to me!

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
GrouseChaser's custom .260. Nice wood, well done project.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that is way cool!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 600 is a Rem push feed with no M70 safety and a brazed on bolt hande.. Custom LOL

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 600 is a Rem push feed with no M70 safety and a brazed on bolt hande.. Custom LOL

I like M-70's as well as anybody.

The 600 series holds its own, light, accurate, effective rifles enjoyed by many.

One can like 600's without being a M-70 snob...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't have any good close ups of the rifle itself. It is a 600 action with a shilen 243AI barrel, brown's precision stock and steel bottom metal. It has downed several deer, antelope, coyotes, etc. I have a Leupold fixed 6x with a M1 turret on it.

A long time ago on the campfire here the 600 was a favorite for lightweight builds. Big Stick had a pink 25-284 that inspired many to build their own. JimF was a lightweight connoisseur that built one as well as others. You could probably do a search going back over ten years ago when they were popular here and see some builds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The 600 series holds its own, light, accurate, effective rifles enjoyed by many.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

I referenced the M70 only as a 'type' of safety. The Kimber 84/8400rifles are as light as the 600 and superior in every way.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

I referenced the M70 only as a 'type' of safety. The Kimber 84/8400rifles are as light as the 600 and superior in every way.

I like my Kimber Classic. I did have to replace the factory barrel with a Broughton 5C to get it to shoot.

I also like my 600 Rem. I replaced the factory barrel, only because it was shot out, not because it was defective...

DF

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone ever had their 600's boot fluted?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is boot flutin' anything like boot scootin'?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Don,

I understand that you are old and stuck in your ways, but must you be so damned negative 99% of the time?

Did you Mother fail to teach basic manners rule 101, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."?

Or, are you becoming so senile and that you've forgotten your manners?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Don,

I understand that you are old and stuck in your ways, but must you be so damned negative 99% of the time?

Maybe 99% is where he got the 99 for his handle... grin

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's a different 99 percent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The choice of a 600 action for what's been called a 'custom' rifle is a poor one. It's not negative to tell the truth!

I one wants a short action the Kimber rifles will get us there faster and perhaps better,

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/14/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

600 custom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The choice of a 600 action for what's been called a 'custom' rifle is a poor one. It's not negative to tell the truth!

I one wants a short action the Kimber rifles will get us there faster and perhaps better,

Don,

Your posts almost always have a negative tone to them and your use of the word "truth" is just an expression of your opinion.

If it isn't factory specs, it has to be custom.

The following is an accepted Dictionary definition of the word CUSTOM:

cus·tom

adjective - NORTH AMERICAN

made or done to order for a particular customer.

"a custom rifle"

I define non-standard firearms that weren't reworked by professional 'smiths as "parts guns", but defining them as being "custom" certainly falls within the scope of the above cited accepted Dictionary definition.

So, I guess you're wrong yet again, but you're wrong so often that being wrong is probably a very familiar experience for you.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's that 99%.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
6x47 Remington rebored and rechambered 222 Remington by Ron Smith.

Unknown barrel

No idea the load as these were handloads that arrived with the rifle. 58gr Hornady bullets.

I dropped it into a refinished stock, it's not bedded yet but does have a Timney trigger..

Next step of the plan is actual bottom metal of some type and fit it in to this Bishop stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, that brings back memories.

If it was mine, I'd lose the white spacers. Those bring back TOO many memories... grin

That should make a nice rifle.

DF

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I agree white spacers to go.

May reduce the Monte Carlo hump a bit. The Monte Carlo fits me well, I prefer a classic style stock it's full length .

I also may just go with a contrasting wood Schnabel for the front end intstead of metal.

It really needs sights and metal on the front end , however I'm not going that far into the $$$ on this one.

F

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It will look OK without irons, IMO.

Thinning the comb a bit won’t hurt.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in the 70's, a friend of mine had a 660 - 308. He had a local gunsmith friend load up some ammo and test fire it. The Gunsmith told him that it was one of the best shooting production rifles that he has seen. That Smith's name was Seeley Masker!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Back in the 70's, a friend of mine had a 660 - 308. He had a local gunsmith friend load up some ammo and test fire it. The Gunsmith told him that it was one of the best shooting production rifles that he has seen. That Smith's name was Seeley Masker!

Seeley Masker built my first 2 BR rifles. I should still have them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Taconic11

Now, that's a pretty good testimony...

DF

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks you guys are great and the pics have been way cool!! And as for the kimber had one in 308 long range it went back to the factory twice and they could not get it right so I’d rather have a 600 Remington anytime over kimber

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks you guys are great and the pics have been way cool!! And as for the kimber had one in 308 long range it went back to the factory twice and they could not get it right so I’d rather have a 600 Remington anytime over kimber

I had the choice with my Kimber, down the road or fix it. I had gotten it right, used. I liked it enough to invest in a custom barrel.

Glad I did. It’s a tack driver. I have more in it than it’ll bring, but I like it. It’s a keeper, so who cares.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rifles I use for precision shooting are my Remington 40X 6mm International with it's 28" barrel twisted 1-10. It's a Douglas now as I wore out the Remington barrel.

My other favorite gallery rifle is my Remington 40X 22 LR with it's original barrel. The scope is a Unertl 15 Ultra Varmint. The 6mm International has Redfield Irons.

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/15/18.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
. My other favorite gallery rifle is my Remington 40X 22 LR with it's original barrel. The scope is a Unertl 15 Ultra Varmint.

I had a 40X .22LR Sporter with clip, rare gun. The match chamber was a bit snug for hunting ammo. It was accurate, but a bit heavy. I ultimately traded it. My Cooper Classic is slicker, lighter, prettier and just as accurate with a host of ammo.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot weekly in our indoor gallery leagues with the .22 and bi monthly with the center fire. I won many matches including the high average awards.

I use a 40X canvas and leather shooting coats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you shoot with your pinky extended?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[align:center][/align]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Do you shoot with your pinky extended?

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does repainting the chitty paint job that came on the HS stock, count as 'custom'?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Does repainting the chitty paint job that came on the HS stock, count as 'custom'?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Absolutely.... cool

Nice photos.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it isn't cataloged or a special recognized run, it has to be custom. You crossed the threshold of "custom" when you put the H-S Precision stock on your 600/660 barreled action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
anything, to get away from the birch and plastic bm.....

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'll shoot however you want, but I'll never own anything that has (KIMBER MARK ON THE BARREL OR SLIDE) PERIOD!!!!!! just my opinion , there is nothing wrong with a Timmy on a 600/660 I can't talk about the new Remington but the older one's are great and work, not like the kimber roulette !!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'll shoot however you want, but I'll never own anything that has (KIMBER MARK ON THE BARREL OR SLIDE) PERIOD!!!!!! just my opinion , there is nothing wrong with a Timmy on a 600/660 I can't talk about the new Remington but the older one's are great and work, not like the kimber roulette !!

I really like the Timney and Willie’s bottom metal on my Mohawk.

Kimber can be a PITA. Mine does well with the Broughton barrel. Nothing $5-600 won’t cure.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
anything, to get away from the birch and plastic bm.....

My favorite 600/660 is a parts gun with a 660 action, a 24" 700 SPS matte finished take-off barrel in 308, a set of Willie Manning's bottom metal, and an old, discontinued, style of McM stock that I bought on this site a decade or so ago.

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
this week I'm buying the timmy trigger and I'm putting some on the layaway on the rifle,I've already got the barrel.can't wait! oh and by the way those are some cool rifles out there!

Last edited by mooshoo; 06/16/18.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Very cool rifles, I’ve never owned a 600

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I only have 1 - 600 in 308 vent rib, with a 3 x 9 Leupold. But, I have 3 each 660's, 1 in 308, 1 re-barreled to 260 Rem with a 24 inch 1 in 8 twist, both with 2 x 10 Weaver scopes. Last but not least a 660 re-barreled to 458 x 2 American, with a 1 x 6 Leupold VX - 6. I have replaced the bottom metal (plastic) with replacement bottom metal sold here on the Campfire, on all but the 458x2 so far.

Attached Images
458x2 smaller.JPG (89.07 KB, 226 downloads)
458x2 small.jpg (57.31 KB, 211 downloads)
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
This is my favorite thread so far. I have some 600s. I also have a 458 American chambered barrel and am now thinking why haven't I put the two together?

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rustzipper
The only difficulty I ran into with the 458x2, in the short action 660 was, it would only feed semi-spritzer bullets. I liked the Hornaday 350 grain RN bullets I had been using in my full 458, but, they would not feed. So I went with the 300 and 400 grain Barnes Originals, which I believe was the only semi-spritzers going 30 years ago. Now there's more options, but the Barnes 350 TSX FB looks like the ticket. I have not tried them yet, but will this summer, always thought the 350's would be nice. Liked the recoil of the 300's, but the 400's in a light rifle with full house loads where just getting uncomfortable. When I was on the Islands or anyplace that the Big Bears roam, the 400's where always in the mag.
I replaced a nice 458 mag I had built by a friend who used to Smith for Stanley's Gun Room in Santa Ana, California just before moving to Alaska in the early 70's. it was a nice rifle, nothing fancy, just a working gun, with a Lyman receiver sight. But, and this is why I built the 458x2. My 458 mag was 46" long, right at 11 pounds with a full magazine. I took my Father after Brown's down in the Wood Tikchik lake system in southwest, Bristol Bay area with that 458. Well climbing through alders and other brush dragging that big ass gun with me, I said never again. I would have been very stressed to get that rifle in action in some of the areas we hunted. Loved that gun shot well and should have kept it, but................
Less than 8 pounds loaded and 40 & 1/2 inches on the 458x2 will drop anything out there and handles well.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just bought one cheap at the pawn shop with an old school fiberglass stock in 257 Roberts ackley improved. Has a canjar trigger and I pretty much stole it I think at 350.
Have yet to shoot it butbthe wife is already claiming it.

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KnightHawk
Rustzipper
The only difficulty I ran into with the 458x2, in the short action 660 was, it would only feed semi-spritzer bullets. I liked the Hornaday 350 grain RN bullets I had been using in my full 458, but, they would not feed. So I went with the 300 and 400 grain Barnes Originals, which I believe was the only semi-spritzers going 30 years ago. Now there's more options, but the Barnes 350 TSX FB looks like the ticket. I have not tried them yet, but will this summer, always thought the 350's would be nice. Liked the recoil of the 300's, but the 400's in a light rifle with full house loads where just getting uncomfortable. When I was on the Islands or anyplace that the Big Bears roam, the 400's where always in the mag.
I replaced a nice 458 mag I had built by a friend who used to Smith for Stanley's Gun Room in Santa Ana, California just before moving to Alaska in the early 70's. it was a nice rifle, nothing fancy, just a working gun, with a Lyman receiver sight. But, and this is why I built the 458x2. My 458 mag was 46" long, right at 11 pounds with a full magazine. I took my Father after Brown's down in the Wood Tikchik lake system in southwest, Bristol Bay area with that 458. Well climbing through alders and other brush dragging that big ass gun with me, I said never again. I would have been very stressed to get that rifle in action in some of the areas we hunted. Loved that gun shot well and should have kept it, but................
Less than 8 pounds loaded and 40 & 1/2 inches on the 458x2 will drop anything out there and handles well.

cool story!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I called Willie Manning's Coquille Valley Machine Works number, 541-396-6246 and got a disconnected message. He doesn't have a web site.

Is he still in business, does anyone know how to reach him?

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I called Willie Manning's Coquille Valley Machine Works number, 541-396-6246 and got a disconnected message. He doesn't have a web site.

DF

I hope so, he was on this forum in the last 6 months I believe.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

DF

I hope so, he was on this forum in the last 6 months I believe.

I want to ask if he could make M-700 ADL trigger guards sorta like the one rj308 made. That one would look good on a McM or Brown Precision stocked 600.

I don’t like the looks of a reversed ADL trigger guard, would much prefer what rj308 did.

With the cvmw phone number not in service, I’m concerned.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see any of Willies stuff on Ebay, either......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
PM I sent hasn’t been read.

Hope he’s OK.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Willie answered my PM. I gave him this link.

Maybe he'll post here.

Was glad to hear from him.

DF

Edited for correction. I like rj308's rifle and trigger guard. It's the one that BigJ made that I want Willie to look at.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/26/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And?......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, keep us posted, I'd be interested in one.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I hope he's still making the BM. I've put off getting one and now I'm in the process of putting together a creedmoor for my wife! Missing puzzle piece!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't see any of Willies stuff on Ebay, either......

If you do a search for Remington 660 trigger guard on eBay Willie's alloy unit coming right up and is selling for $90.

Willie's eBay ad shows CVMWearthlink.net as a contact email address.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did. And when I looked, it wasn't there.....

What a cracking thread!

No way would I describe the following as "custom" but it does exhibit one or two personal touches. For better or worse:

[Linked Image]
K

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Klench
What a cracking thread!

No way would I describe the following as "custom" but it does exhibit one or two personal touches. For better or worse:

[Linked Image]
K

Welcome to the Fire.

It be custom if you think it custom.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice thistle.

Nice mannlicher stock, is it a Richard's unit?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I did. And when I looked, it wasn't there.....

I did it again and it was at the top again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm not making myself clear. When I looked the other day, Willie didn't have his listing. Yeah, NOW it is listed again.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was confused, as it has always been there whenever I've looked, but I don't look for it that frequently as I have my current needs covered.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks all for the kind words and continued patronage and promotion of my trigger guard.
I noticed that my phone number being passed around is the old number, my number now is : 541-260-6246
My email has not changed, it is : cvmwearthlink.net
I have been busy with a new house and has eaten a lot of time, almost complete (if there is such a thing )
I will try and stay more active on the campfire when it is.
Thanks again.
Willie Manning
541-260-6246
cvmwearthlink.net

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

Willie, smile
541-260-6246
[email protected]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Would appreciate you looking at machining a revised ADL trigger guard for 600's in McM or Brown Precision stocks.

Those stocks are inletted for the reversed ADL bottom part. In that application, the trigger ends up in a awkward position near the center rather than at the rear of the trigger guard.

A modified ADL guard, set up for this application would look a lot better. I'd buy one as would a number of the Fire crowd.

If you decide to make them, I'd suggest you check with Rick and set up sales here.

Just an idea.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
C
Will consider, am looking for free time, this new house thing is not what it's cracked up to be.
As soon as I have some time.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

Willie, smile
541-260-6246
[email protected]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cvmw
Will consider, am looking for free time, this new house thing is not what it's cracked up to be.
As soon as I have some time.

BTDT; I feel your pain.

This could be another unique product to add to your offerings.

Hope it works out.

DF

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Is there any type leads on where to find an action ...I have the desire to build off one??

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Keep your eyes peeled they show up here every now and again. Check cabelas gun library as well

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DUCKBRX
Is there any type leads on where to find an action ...I have the desire to build off one??

Boltface?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Shooter71

Boltface?

Hey, no need to insult the poor guy just because he's looking for a Remington. LOL.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
KnightHawk I am looking at placing my 458 American barrel ( Douglas ) on a 600. Not sure about the stock but I have an HS that could work. Reverse ADL guard? Pooey! Need a better choice. I wonder if I can get two down with out trouble? Thinking a Skinner protected peep and front sight might be the cat's meow. Probably will kill a few Missouri whitetails. Maybe a few Texas hogs. The whole thing will happen if I don't use that action for a 358 Winchester!??

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What? A 358 won't kill Missouri deer and tejas pigs?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Shooter71

Boltface?

Hey, no need to insult the poor guy just because he's looking for a Remington. LOL.

Not an insult its kinda like a fat chick there great to keep in the closet....HINT!!

As for the bolt face .308 will do jut fine or .223 I can work with both..

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't have the 358 yet. I own a 243 that "needs" a new barrel, stock, trigger, sights...…………… I must admit to never having anything but a DRT with the Savage 99 358 Winchester. And with bulk buy of 200 gr remmy round nose. Long range for me is anything over 120 yds. Short so far would be about 4 yards. But he had a front leg shot off at the knee. Someone didn't see him on the other side of the doe. Tasted pretty good. I took guff for killing a German Shepherd size button buck but he was going to suffer. Yup. The 358 is good. Want a 600 to be set up for scout scope, conventional, and ghost ring sights. I have a Steyr and it is magnificent. Just not 358!

Last edited by rustyzipper; 08/10/18.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
I don't have the 358 yet. I own a 243 that "needs" a new barrel, stock, trigger, sights...…………… I must admit to never having anything but a DRT with the Savage 99 358 Winchester. And with bulk buy of 200 gr remmy round nose. Long range for me is anything over 120 yds. Short so far would be about 4 yards. But he had a front leg shot off at the knee. Someone didn't see him on the other side of the doe. Tasted pretty good. I took guff for killing a German Shepherd size button buck but he was going to suffer. Yup. The 358 is good. Want a 600 to be set up for scout scope, conventional, and ghost ring sights. I have a Steyr and it is magnificent. Just not 358!

Be interested in finding the 243 a home?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Duckbrx, I replied to your pm.
Shaen

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The .243 has a home, thank you.

Last edited by rustyzipper; 08/14/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm going to give that .243 some enhancement pills to get a 358 Winchester some day.

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Klench
What a cracking thread!

[Linked Image]
K

that's way nice!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Any other custom 600s out there? Any of them for sale? RZ

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If I could find a lightweight stock for my 660 in 222 I'd be tempted to keep it. I simply cannot stand the factory wood. If I don't find something soon it's either sale or belt sander.

LOL
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Very enlightning thread. I believe the late Colonel Cooper’s scout rifle concept, was originally designed around the Mohawk 600 action.

A friend has a barreled action that he wants to sell. It is the Mohawk 600 in 6.5 Rem. It is very clean. It has the trigger housing but no trigger , no trigger guard or bottom metal or stock for that matter. About a month ago on ebay, there was a wood stock with complete bottom metal for around $250.

I don’t know how to post photos, but can send via text or email to any from a pm. I don’t mean to hijack the thread, my apologies.
I just thought someone might have an interest. My friend is 87 years young and never going to do anything with it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rusty Zipper, for the right price, I may be willing to part with my 600 on page 3 of this thread. RJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kind of a custom 600, the original plastic rib & trigger guard have been replaced with metal and the action has been bedded. The scout mount and scope are original Redfields. The gun is a pleasure to carry and is fast to get on target.
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here's my entry to the 600 "customs" threads!

It is not quite done yet. It needs some new paint and a little work attaching the front of the 700 ADL trigger guard to the factory mag box. The rest is basically "stock"... 308 Win, other than the stock. Not sure if the synthetic stock is McMillan or MPI but the whole thing is sure light and compact. It should make a neat short range, tight cover "thumper".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK.....Stupid question. A knowledgeable gun guy told me once that Remington 600/660's were notorious for breaking bolt handles, that's why they stopped making them.

Is he or am i the idiot because mine never broke and i have had it for over 10 years.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If I could find a lightweight stock for my 660 in 222 I'd be tempted to keep it. I simply cannot stand the factory wood. If I don't find something soon it's either sale or belt sander.

don't do that! I might be interested depending what your asking price is I tried to send a pm

Last edited by mooshoo; 09/12/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
MLF sent you a PM

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This my contribution I will admit it may be my new favorite....6.5x47 LAUPA it very well could be the only one in existence who knows?
[Linked Image][/img]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Is there a difference in the 600 vs 700 mag boxes for 222 cartridge family. Specifically the height. I'm having feeding issues with a 700 mag box in a 600 stock.

Thanks

Flyer

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I remember reading a Bob Milek article in Guns and Ammo decades ago where he took a Remington 600 in .308 and customized it. He cut off the vent rib, I believe fashioned a bolt release, and put it in a Mannlicher stock. It was my dream rifle. I carried the magazine with the article thru several moves. Eventually, I left a principal’s job and my teachers thought enough of me to give $300 as a going away present and a small Browning fixed blade belt knife. Bill Ruger, by then, had come out with his Ruger tang safety RSIs and I found a VG used one in .308 for exactly $300 no tax at my local gun store. I bought it and still have it. The 3 boys are fighting over which one gets it after my demise! I did briefly own a Rem 600 in .243. It was a deer killing machine. Only dislikes were the vent rib, stock, lack of bolt release, and the cheap plastic trigger guard. I remarried, had a heart attack 6 months later, and could not work for 3 months. I had to sell it to pay bills. Still like a .243 to this day and would like to find another. Bought one of the Weatherby Vanguards in .243 at Wally World when they had them for $249; but decided to give it to my only 13 year old grandson for Christmas as his first CF rifle.
Still looking for a good used quality scope for it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Carrollco, did you find a good used scope? PM me if you need one. I come across them from time to time. Rusty

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This my contribution I will admit it may be my new favorite....6.5x47 LAUPA it very well could be the only one in existence who knows?
[Linked Image][/img]

First time I've seen black toilet paper on the end of a barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krupp
OK.....Stupid question. A knowledgeable gun guy told me once that Remington 600/660's were notorious for breaking bolt handles, that's why they stopped making them.

Is he or am i the idiot because mine never broke and i have had it for over 10 years.

He is wrong. Remington stopped making them because they didn't sell enough of them. After Remington stopped cataloging the 660, they continued to make the less expensive 600 Mohawk that was only sold through high volume retailers for as many years, 8 years, as they cataloged both the 600 and 660.

600s were cataloged from 1964 thru 1967 (4 years)
660s were cataloged from 1968 thu 1971 (4 years)
600 Mohawks were never cataloged, but they were sold from 1972 thru 1979 (8 years)

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image][/img]

super nice!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's my 600 again, in the M7 stock, the last time I hunted it. RJ
[Linked Image]

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
that looks nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Top is my 338Fed with a Douglas #2 cut at 21" and a Mcswirley. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds
Bottom is a 7mm-08 with a Douglas #1 also cut at 21" in a MCM Edge stock. It weighs 5 1/2 pounds.
I had the bolt handles removed and reattached '"just in case." I also had the bolts jeweled.

Both are great shooters and have killed many deer and a couple elk.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by himmelrr; 10/30/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Top is my 338Fed with a Douglas #2 cut at 21" and a Mcswirley. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds
Bottom is a 7mm-08 with a Douglas #1 also cut at 21" in a MCM Edge stock. It weighs 5 1/2 pounds.
I had the bolt handles removed and reattached '"just in case." I also had the bolts jeweled.

[Linked Image]

Nice.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's my 600 again, in the M7 stock, the last time I hunted it. RJ
[Linked Image]

That thing looks tiny.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Knighthawk, How did the 350 Barnes TSXs go in the American? I know it has been a while. TIA, and Be Well. Rusty

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by himmelrr

[Linked Image]

Is that a reversed M-700 trigger guard? Trigger?

It looks different than what I've seen with reversed 700 trigger guards and Timney triggers. Typically the trigger sits way forward in the trigger guard with that configuration. These look much better, IMO, more like bigJ's set up.

DF

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duckbrx,

That is a beautiful rifle. What caliber?

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would like to stick a nice light synthetic of some sort on my 660. Maybe even a rebarrel as well.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/03/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Duckbrx,

That is a beautiful rifle. What caliber?

It chambered in 6.5x47 with a muller 1in 8. Actually kinda built it for my kid but considering he has to be at school he may not care it dad takes it out a time or 40!!!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It chambered in 6.5x47 with a muller 1in 8. Actually kinda built it for my kid but considering he has to be at school he may not care it dad takes it out a time or 40!!!

My mother told me that it was this kind of logic that my father liked and which led to "my" first toy train... grin

Nice looking rifle!

John

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a M600 with a SS Ron Smith Contour LIGHT Barrel 22 " long - Its Chambered in 284 Win - The action has being squared along with the bolt face - Also the sides of the action are slabbed off . Bolt has the stock DOG leg handle and has a LW PTG Pin & Schroud and Spring installed. The rear tang original screw hole has being filled and a new hole drilled and tapped for the use of a longer M7 hinged floor plate mag box assem and a Timney M7 trigger . The stock is a Brown Kevlar pounder. Scope rings are Talley with the fourth hole drilled into the rear action bridge. Scope is a Leopold VX111 3.5-10 with a B&C reticle , 6.5 Lbs total RJ

Good Shooter with Barnes 120 TTSX Bullets !

375 H&H The Real KING of 375 's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should a guy rebarrel/restock one of these if he has a very clean one or just get a 700, rebarrel/restock it and leave the 600/660 original?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am partial to the Rem 660, IMO it was the nicest of the lot - they had a walnut stock, a 20" barrel and a good blue job on them. The Rem 600 had the plastic rib and a thin short barrel which I could never get to shoot as well as the Mohawk 600 or Rem 660. The Mohawk 600 had a coarser metal finish and a beechwood stock and IIRC an 18" barrel.

There does not seem to be a lot of people who collect any of the variations of them, personally I have always had a weak spot for them , particuarily the Mohawk 600 and the Rem 660, because the 660 looked good to me and both of those iterations always seemed to shoot quite accurately. A local club used to have a meat shoot that was to "a legal hunting cartridge" and "no more than a 6 power scope" - using a Mohawk 600 in 222 Rem (yes, a legal hunting cartridge in Montana) I won so many times using that combo that it was hard to get people to enter when I used it.
Back when they came out I was still doing a lot of horseback hunting and they were perfect for that, they were a light weight rifle for their day, the stock fit a saddle scabbard pretty well and the dogleg handle did not protude.

There are not a lot of folks who collect them so unless it was an outstanding example I suggest you do whatever you want with it. Or you could get a Rem model 7 which is just the modern version of 600/660 action.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I like them all. I have a pair of the CVMW trigger guards ordered. I want them on all the 600s I own. I forget to look at the 673 but since based on an M7 it should have a good one on it. Be Well, RZ.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had one built about seven years ago. The original in .308 smacked me, and I just can't handle plastic on a rifle. So I screwed on a M7 barrel in 260 Rem., got the metal trigger guard and mag., after-market trigger and had a friend stock it in French mannlicher with an ebony tip. It handles like an english 20 ga. and zaps deer and pronghhorn with 120 gr. Barnes.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 10/25/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had one built about seven years ago. The original in .308 smacked me, and I just can't handle plastic on a rifle. So I screwed on a M7 barrel in 260 Rem., got the metal trigger guard and mag., after-market trigger and had a friend stock it in French mannlicher with an ebony tip. It handles like an english 20 ga. and zaps deer and pronghhorn with 120 gr. Barnes.

Picture?

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Grouse Chaser can you show us a picture? It sounds like a looker as well as a shooter. Be Well, RZ.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Does the dogleg bolt fit other Remington rifles?

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

“Lighten up Francis”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wouldn't really call my 600 'custom', more just modified to suit my taste. It came to me as a M600 in a hardwood stock that someone had spray painted black. Someone gifted me with a M660 stock that had been sorely abused, the fore end looked as though it had been used to drive nails. I cut it back and started sanding using both a disc sander and an orbital sander until I'd removed all of the shiny plastic finish, the impressed checkering, and quite a bit of wood. You can see the image of the impressed checkering in the grip area although it is completely smooth. It shows up much more in the pic than it does in the hand....cannot really understand that.

I added the barrel band sling stud and an aftermarket metal floorplate. It is a 308 and is the perfect walkabout rifle for deer hunting.

I really like M600s and have owned several over the years. I'm now down to this one and another that came to me in a neglected and sad shape. It was a 222 Rem but the bore was rusted and pitted. At the time I was playing with T/Cs in 7mmTCU and decided to have a repeater in that caliber. The barrel was rebored to 7mm and rechambered to the TCU. It is now a tack driver but the stock and exterior metal is still in sad shape.

Sorry, don't have a pic of it by itself. The 1909 Argentine is a pretty slick rifle as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.