Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
In regards to the M77 Hawkeye synthetic stocks, are they decent? Or are they hot garbage (like howa's hogues)?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not bad, but also not great. By heft, the one I bought to lighten up my Hawkeye Predator was little, if any lighter than the lammy one and would have required a good bit of hogging out to fit the barrel, so I sold it.

Next one came on an AW .243 and after floating it, I could squeeze the stock and barrel together with my hand. I cut on it some more, enough to be pretty sure it wasn't flapping against it under recoil. That rifle was sold to finance my .243 Number 1, which I regret at times, because I'm a serious Hawkeye fanboy.

My latest is a .223 which is fully bedded. Looks promising as is, so I doubt I'll float it. I like the stock well enough, and better by far than the heavy, ugly, Hogue, especially the rubberized one. I like them better than the paddle stocks as well, which puts me in the minority, I suppose. At about the same weight, the Ruger laminate is preferable to me though, but a little costlier.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
In regards to the M77 Hawkeye synthetic stocks, are they decent? Or are they hot garbage (like howa's hogues)?

The Ruger Hawkeye synthetic stocks are, IMO, significantly better than the stocks that come on Howa 1500s. When I buy a 1500 the first thing that I do is put it into a Vanguard2 stock as they fit me much better.

I upgraded my stainless Hawkeye trio in 223, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 338 FED with McM Hunters and, at least for me, the cost of doing so was worth it.

The only mid-priced after-market synthetic stock that fits me particularly well is B&C's Weatherby-style Medalist, but B&C only inlets that stock for a few actions and sadly the Ruger 77/Hawkeye isn't one of them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Probably the best of the Factory synthetics. Tikka is in the same category. Both are better than most others. I wouldn't pay money to replace either.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
Probably the best of the Factory synthetics. Tikka is in the same category. Both are better than most others. I wouldn't pay money to replace either.

+1

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1

Make that +2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Anyone know how much the Ruger Hawkeye synthetics weigh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I slipped my M77 Mark II All Weather into a synthetic Hawkey stock and never looked back and I don’t care how much folks like the boat paddle model the Hawkeye model did better. I did fill the hollow butt with expanding foam to take away the hollow echo chamber that broadcasted every twig you went against.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1

Make that +2

+3
I'm quite happy with mine. Ruger All Weather Hawkeye in .280 Rem.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/31/18.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never had a problem with the Ruger synthetic stock.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Ruger synthetic stock. They seem solidly made and have a greater drop than most synthetic stocks. This allows me to keep 40mm and smaller scopes nice a low where they belong.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree, The Hawkeye synthetic is a nice stock. I bought a short action boat paddle for my 308 Hawkeye, but ended up putting the factory synthetic back on.

Ed
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Stocks are important to me as they are the critical interface between the shooter and the rifle and if I want a rifle to fit me better I buy a McMillan. I have found that, for me, swapping stocks from factory synthetic or wood to McM's Hunter or Mountain Rifles styles will always make the rifle fit me better, at least in the manner that I define "better". I don't mind paying a premium price or waiting several months for the styles of McM stocks that I like, but, OTOH, I would hardly be motivated to walk across the street for the styles of McM stocks that I don't like, even if they were free.

But, this is another of those YMMV situations.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.