OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On Velocity..........just crazy but safe to watch <grin>

Dave

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In case you are like me and wondering what that is all about, it is a motorcycle race.

More info here if one is a motorcycle racer

https://www.iomtt.com/

Last edited by LouisB; 06/02/18.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My son and I went to the TT in 2016, unreal.

No price gouging, taxis were around $10 per, 24/7, Princes George’s FC campground 200 yards from the pits and finish line, $18/night including hot showers, breakfast kiosk with coffee, tea and good food at modest price on- site. Friendly people, leave anything out at the camp and it’s all there when you get back.

No security posted at the pits, the general public can and does wander the pits between events. The same mood of trust and responsibility applies to the whole 37 mile race course, all on public roads. One could do the whole return trip inc food, lodging, flights, rail and ferry for around $3,500, easy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I read the other day they had their 147th fatality. Must have been during qualifying? Ain't no puzzies in that race.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
FAR too dangerous of a race coarse , FAR too many young men killed there .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"FAR too many young men killed there"

Go save them. Go now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5thShock
"FAR too many young men killed there"

Go save them. Go now.

And don't forget your helmet...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is still the coolest thing on wheels. And I think the number of men killed on the course is 250 not 150. I might be wrong. As someone posted on here about this last year, they are a different breed of men.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ol_mike

They know the dangers beforehand.
How many deaths would be acceptable, in your opinion?

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's lethal and may be the most beautiful motor race you'll ever see. Even not there, just on television, it's stunning.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Young guys will do nearly anything for a thrill and to compete - full of pisss n vinegar .

''Deaths'' hopefully none but I know what a safe race coarse is - being that I've road raced and ridden hundreds of laps at talledaga grand prix motorcycle track - Roebling road S. Carolina , once at Barber a few times at No Problem Raceway in La. .
Rode MX for 30 years too .
- so I know what a safe track is and what isn't .

Last edited by ol_mike; 06/03/18.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One rider killed this week in practice. There has been at least one fatality every year I can remember. It’s a risk they are willing to take, obviously, and more power to them....

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Young guys will do nearly anything for a thrill and to compete - full of pisss n vinegar .

''Deaths'' hopefully none but I know what a safe race coarse is - being that I've road raced and ridden hundreds of laps at talledaga grand prix motorcycle track - Roebling road S. Caralina , once at Barber a few times at No Problem Raceway in La. .

You simply can't take the danger out of many sports. No one is forced to race the TT. Whether it's free solo rock climbing, base jumping or the IOM, some venues have no room for error. For those who wish to accept those dangers, I don't see society having the right to outlaw them.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
You simply can't take the danger out of many sports. ....

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
— Ernest Hemingway

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

''Deaths'' hopefully none but I know what a safe race coarse is - being that I've road raced and ridden hundreds of laps at talledaga grand prix motorcycle track - Roebling road S. Caralina , once at Barber a few times at No Problem Raceway in La. .

You simply can't take the danger out of many sports. No one is forced to race the TT. Whether it's free solo rock climbing, base jumping or the IOM, some venues have no room for error. For those who wish to accept those dangers, I don't see society having the right to outlaw them.

Build a racetrack with NO run off space , solid barriers everywhere , sidewalks , fans [dumbasses] sitting on the outside corner of a high speed corner and see how many FIM/AMA/WERA events are held there .
I've heard people say -- I just go for the wrecks -- some people like to see wrecks for some reason and bikes/cars destroyed I guess .

If the track was in the southeast or a place similar I'd have suited up and raced it up until about 15 years ago , but when you mature a bit - seeing young lads dead isn't fun .

Posted by Bristoe
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Safe race courses, gun free zones, women in combat roles, gay sex, safety lids on soap boxes. SNORK

Harden the fug up, risk builds character.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You’ve heard people say they “just go for the wrecks?”.

That would be a tough gig, the course is 37 miles long, and from any given spot at most you can see a couple of hundred yards of the course, many places less.IIRC there were five deaths when I was there in 2016, most during training runs the week before I was there. I’m pretty sure I could spend my whole life spectating there every year and never actually witness a wreck.

More to the point it is far from a morbid pack of gouls that go, it’s more like a brotherhood. The nicest crowds I’ve ever been around, from all over the World.

To give you an idea of the place; 80,000 people actually live on the island, very much a Celtic society with their own language, currency and Statehood ( they were never in the EU). That many people, and a police force of about 30 Cops, if that. I was given to believe they don’t have Cop cars, rather they use magnetic decals on the regular vehicles being used as Cop cars at any given moment.

Everybody knows everybody, the Sargeant of the Police force was a big, bearded red-haired guy in his thirties (about like Mel Gibson’s buddy in Braveheart). He was also the cook at the food kiosk at our campground. In addition to that he was a course Marshall, out of sheer hospitality he took my son along one morning on a course inspection, the whole course, in an SUV with magnetic stick-on Cop decals on the doors.

I went there for the motorcycles, but was blown away by the people and the whole event, like nothing I’ve ever seen, and I grew up on the adjacent coast of the mainland, about 20 miles away as the seagull flies.

I’d recommend the TT for anybody, it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That TT is absolutely awesome! Dangerous, you had better believe it. These guys are going to race no matter what, so you may as well have a closed course and make it a production. What is stupid is the guys racing around and stunt riding on busy public highways.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Build a racetrack with NO run off space , solid barriers everywhere , sidewalks , fans [dumbasses] sitting on the outside corner of a high speed corner and see how many FIM/AMA/WERA events are held there .
I've heard people say -- I just go for the wrecks -- some people like to see wrecks for some reason and bikes/cars destroyed I guess .

If the track was in the southeast or a place similar I'd have suited up and raced it up until about 15 years ago , but when you mature a bit - seeing young lads dead isn't fun .

This isn't a dedicated race track, it's country and village roads that have been hosting a race for 111 years.

The race isn't for everyone, just as any sport where one mistake and your dead isn't for everyone.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life is richer because there are those who are willing to live life 100% with no guarantee they'll survive when they push the limits.

Life is cheapened when society imposes the limitations of the weakest upon the greatest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.