Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can not think of a better bullet for this than the 150 nosler partion. I’ve used it on everything from mature bull elk to antelope does and it has never failed at ranges out to 550 yards. Last year I put three shoots into a 6x6 at 30-40yrds. First one he was quartering hard toward me, bullet entered the point of the shoulder, traversed the entire body, and exited the left ham, seconds two shots went were broad side as he was trying to run by me, one through both shoulders and one a touch father back through ribs. Both exited. Bull fell over on the third shot. With that type of penetration would have no problem using it on moose. I was launching those at 3000fps with RL26.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another vote for the 150 NP. There’s very little in NA that the .270 with 150 Partitions isn’t well suited for. Wouldn’t be my first choice for a Brown Bear Hunt, but it will cover most other scenarios that I can think quite well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Literally anything will work if you have a good clear shot of the lungs, broadside. But you’ll never regret stout bullets if the stars don’t align ideally either. One of the heavier Partitions or something of similar ability is never wrong. We banged together a few 140 A-Frames at camp when I let my 10-year-old punch my tag a few years back. We had to pry this one out of the shoulder on the far side, so I guess it worked alright.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would say so. Nice mushroom.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .270 Win. users I know run a 150 grain Partition or 140 grain Barnes X.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It seems to me that a lot of bullets would work. From my scant experience, moose are straightforward to kill. A decent bullet through the lungs, and then a snack break, and then they fall over. But since we are talking 270 carbine, I'd take the opportunity to use some 160 Partitions. Sure, the lighter versions will work, but what else are you going to use those 160 Partitions for, if not for a moose? And your life just wouldn't be complete if you never tested them out on something.

And Shooters Pro Shop still has some in stock....

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...gr-partition-semi-spitzer-blem-50ct.html

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
160g partitions are very, very accurate. Check the Nosler manual.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

The same bullet that I load, and that has worked well for my daughter’s .270 Win., on deer and antelope. It’s pretty tough to beat a bullet that will retain ( more often than not) near 100% bullet weight. Which, will likely give an exit wound with most any shot on a moose....unlike many other bullets mentioned that likely will lose 35% or their original weight. The greater weight retention...the greater the probability of exit wound via deeper penetration! Most bullet tests performed on game animals and through lab ballistics gel tests....suggest that the bullet that I propose will out perform most of the premium bullets offered by other major manufacturer. That bullet: the Barnes 140 grain TSX.

Barnes TSX 140 grains (original weight) minus 5% weight loss ( generally less than 5%) after impact on game = approx. 133 grains weight retention

Highly recommended 150 grain (original weight) minus 35% ( typical weight loss) after impact on game = approx. 98 grains weight retention

Logic suggests that the 133 grain bullet will continue on it’s path, farther and straighter than will the 98 grain bullet of similar frontal area! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I haven’t shot a Moose yet. That being said I’ve seen three taken with .277” bullets.
One was a 160 Partition from a 270 Winchester DRT (high shoulder/spine). The other two were
from a 270 Redding with 150 Partitions both dead within 10 yards. So I think you’re ok. smile

Have fun and good luck! Tom

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by keith

This bullet is the sleeper in .277 caliber for big game. It has been used on everything up to buffalo in Oz and considerably more than once.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by keith

This bullet is the sleeper in .277 caliber for big game. It has been used on everything up to buffalo in Oz and considerably more than once.
John

I like 'em because they look cool. They work well with heart/lung shots on scrawny whitetails too. When I go cruising on SPS I have to keep both hands on my wallet when I run into them, even though I've got a bunch on hand.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like a kid in a candy store.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.