Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Don't know about that, but I do know if you mention Kimber Montana to Melvin you will quickly realize it was a mistake.

LOL!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, Barrett FC 6.5 Creed on top, Kimber Montana 84m 7mm-08 on bottom.

D
donsm70 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Yep, Barrett FC 6.5 Creed on top, Kimber Montana 84m 7mm-08 on bottom.

Thank you. That's what I thought, but just checking. I'm sure the FC in 30-06 would be a similar stock contour.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I don't get how Barrett nailed the mag box on the short actions but screwed the pooch on the LA version.....

I don’t get how Barrett nailed the barrel contour on the long actions but screwed the pooch on the SA version...

+1!

That's what's keeping me from getting a FC in .308.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
+2
Yes, my thoughts exactly..... !

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[Linked Image]

Hey,thanks for posting that Jordan.There looks to me to be more size difference between my Forbes 270 and my Montana 7-08. I don't know though if it's just because of the picture as opposed to a personal view or actual difference. I'll try to learn the new picture hosting and post one of my combo.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think there is some serious hair splitting going on here. I’d say my 22” (.56) 84M in 338 Fed points fantastically. I’d also say it has less of a weight forward feel than my 21” (.55”) Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor that is full length bedded. At least they are so close that the difference in the field is truly trivial.
For Barrett to choose a lighter contour on a rifle designed to be ultra-Lightweight makes sense. It works incredibly well as they designed it. If your PREFERENCE is for more weight that’s fine, I might even agree for some applications. But what they made works in terms of pointing and feel, and is ultra light. I’m finding I appreciate having less weight in the rifle as the scopes I’m shifting to are more than making up for it. For my latest build having less weight in the barrel works to my favor. With wood and an SHV I’ll take all the weight reduction elsewhere I can get.

Last edited by prm; 06/06/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it wasn't for hair-splitting, this would be a pretty small forum. grin

If your PREFERENCE is for more weight that’s fine

That's the key for me. My preference would be to have more weight forward. That's what feels best.

Last edited by Teeder; 06/06/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
I think there is some serious hair splitting going on here. I’d say my 22” (.56) 84M in 338 Fed points fantastically. I’d also say it has less of a weight forward feel than my 21” (.55”) Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor that is full length bedded. At least they are so close that the difference in the field is truly trivial.
For Barrett to choose a lighter contour on a rifle designed to be ultra-Lightweight makes sense. It works incredibly well as they designed it. If your PREFERENCE is for more weight that’s fine, I might even agree for some applications. But what they made works in terms of pointing and feel, and is ultra light. I’m finding I appreciate having less weight in the rifle as the scopes I’m shifting to are more than making up for it. For my latest build having less weight in the barrel works to my favor. With wood and an SHV I’ll take all the weight reduction elsewhere I can get.

I’ll take a muzzle diameter of .600 - .620” @ 22” personally...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
308 Win - 5.1 lbs (2.31 kg)

30-06 Sprg - 5.5 lbs (2.49 kg)

Weights from Barrett's website. There appears to be .4 lb difference between the 21" 0 contour .308 and the 24" #2 contour 30-06. ~.25lb (4oz) should be action weight, so the barrel difference is ~.15 lb or about 2.5 ozs. I'd love the .308 to have the #2 contour at 22" (or even 24", it's easy enough to have it cut).

Dry firing the 6.5 CM and the 30-06 off hand really lets me see how much the forward balance steadies the long action.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m finding I appreciate having less weight in the rifle as the scopes I’m shifting to are more than making up for it. For my latest build having less weight in the barrel works to my favor. With wood and an SHV I’ll take all the weight reduction elsewhere I can get.

For me, the less a rifle weighs, the more important "where" the weight is. Generally, I'm not shooting off a rest and the weight forward helps settle things down, especially on a light weight rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't get how Barrett nailed the mag box on the short actions but screwed the pooch on the LA version.....

I don’t get how Barrett nailed the barrel contour on the long actions but screwed the pooch on the SA version...

I'm no expert, but it seems that the 6.5x55 has it all together with regard to mag box length and barrel contour. I sure like mine.

I suspect that the same rifle in 30-06 would be a bit sporty off the bench with full-power 180 grain loads.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Teeder
I’m finding I appreciate having less weight in the rifle as the scopes I’m shifting to are more than making up for it. For my latest build having less weight in the barrel works to my favor. With wood and an SHV I’ll take all the weight reduction elsewhere I can get.

For me, the less a rifle weighs, the more important "where" the weight is. Generally, I'm not shooting off a rest and the weight forward helps settle things down, especially on a light weight rifle.

I'm not sure 24" is not the more important number in that equation rather than the diameter. Clearly both are relevant though. I've always thought saving weight in the barrel, receiver, mag, bolt, etc. but adding a fixed sight at the muzzle would really be the best solution. At least have the weight be useful.

When I rebarrelled my 84M I went to 23" and .585 at the muzzle. While I do like the feel, I honestly can't say I shoot it better in the field. If I were shooting at competition targets and keeping score, and a half inch mattered, then maybe a difference would reveal itself. But for quick shots at game I find the 84M works fantastic. Haven't shot the Barrett at a critter yet but it points well too. To make a real difference I would have to add so much weight that carrying it would be a pain. One I get the Barrett back I'll take it out and shoot it offhand at 10yds for score and compare to my 26" bull barreled .308 and 84M in 338 Fed and see how much it really matters.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hookset

I'm no expert, but it seems that the 6.5x55 has it all together with regard to mag box length and barrel contour. I sure like mine.

I suspect that the same rifle in 30-06 would be a bit sporty off the bench with full-power 180 grain loads.

I've no complaints with my FC 6.5 CM, but if I had the choice, I'd probably have gone with the #2 they use on the long actions. I went back and forth on the FC in CM vs. Swede for that reason and since I had two Swedes and no CM's, the decision to go CM made the most sense. Recoil of the '06 in that light of rifle would concern me...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
I think there is some serious hair splitting going on here.

Please turn in your rifle looney card....... 😉

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went with the 6.5 CM and made it a 25" barrel length to keep the weight at the end of the barrel. But honestly I am not nearly astute enough to get wrapped around the handle on balance. I have had whippy barrels and have had heavy bull barrels. From field positions it really doesn't matter to me that much which it is. But I suppose I could act like I can tell the difference between a 21" and 23" barrel of the same contour if I were to pick up one with my eyes closed. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just went with the 6.5 CM and made it a 25" barrel length to keep the weight at the end of the barrel. But honestly I am not nearly astute enough to get wrapped around the handle on balance. I have had whippy barrels and have had heavy bull barrels. From field positions it really doesn't matter to me that much which it is. But I suppose I could act like I can tell the difference between a 21" and 23" barrel of the same contour if I were to pick up one with my eyes closed. smile

What field positions are you referring to?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Hookset

I'm no expert, but it seems that the 6.5x55 has it all together with regard to mag box length and barrel contour.

Also 100% in agreement.
Perfect melding of cartridge to magazine length, twist rate, and correct barrel contour for the rifle setup.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
308 Win - 5.1 lbs (2.31 kg)

30-06 Sprg - 5.5 lbs (2.49 kg)

Weights from Barrett's website. There appears to be .4 lb difference between the 21" 0 contour .308 and the 24" #2 contour 30-06. ~.25lb (4oz) should be action weight, so the barrel difference is ~.15 lb or about 2.5 ozs.

Something's not quite right there. The barrel length difference alone will be around 2.5 ounces, let alone the difference in contour. Would be nice to weigh a long action and short action Fieldcraft of the same caliber to see the difference.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Does the Barrett have a "closed" grip area like the obsolete Forbes?

It is a more closed grip. I don’t have a Forbes so I can’t compare. It is more closed than a Kimber 84M, probably close to a Bansner. I really like it.

The more closed grip on that Forbes variant allowed the back on the trigger guard to rap against my middle finger. Once was a warning - the second time at the same range session was brutal.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1badf350, 219DW, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,679
Posts18,534,262
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.