Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Short answer is

Start with a single shot rifle - no scope! - so that you develop focus and marksmanship. Keep one around for the rest of your life.

For "blue collar" guns:

A Ruger MkII (any model with adjustable sights) will do whatever you want to do with it for as long as you choose to do it. There are plenty of other good 22 pistols out there, but thats the "must own" one to me. Opinions will vary 👍

For a bolt - again, many good ones. In torn between the Remington 58X series and the CZ 45X guns. I like th CZ better in general especially the American models but the Remingtons are consistently top notch shooters as well and definitely cost less.

For semi auto rifles - NOT an OEM 10-22. My must owns are a Remington 552 and the Nylon 66, for different reasons.

For when you're ready to invest a bit more in your passion:

A Smith 41. They really are something.

For a bolt, I would say a Kimber sporter like the Cascade, or a 64 action Anschutz sporter.

For an auto, it really has to be the 10-22. There is no end to what you can do with it, and building one up just adds to the fun.
I have 1 upgraded 10-22 and it is the best shooting rimfire I have ever owned. Probably took $1,000 to get it there though. And I still want a Kidd trigger.

And last but definitely not least, the "just for fun" guns:

Any sort of lever (for me its a Winchester 9422 by a hair over the Marlin & Browning) or a pump. Throw in a single action revolver like the Ruger or Uberti's and go tear up some cans. Walk the woods and take home some squirrels. Teach a kid. Whatever. All that ammo youve been hoarding isn't gonna shoot itself. lol

And at some point, go buy yourself a good old Winchester or Remington bolt gun. Just so you know what's missing from the common injection molded ammo cyclers being sold today. There's nothing actually wrong with them, but boy have they lost their soul.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Siingle_Six, or Colt new Frontier, Ruger Bearcat, and Marlin 39's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see the single six, but the Bearcat has come up a few times here and I sure wonder how come? I bought an original one back in the late '60's for $39.95 brand new and couldn't hit a thing with it. I sold it for $35.00 and was glad to have it gone.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
I can see the single six, but the Bearcat has come up a few times here and I sure wonder how come? I bought an original one back in the late '60's for $39.95 brand new and couldn't hit a thing with it. I sold it for $35.00 and was glad to have it gone.

I have a new Bearcat that shoots excellent. Hitting shotgun emptys sitting at the bench waiting for a centerfire rifle to cool was easy. 20 yards or so was uncommon to miss, more hits than not at 30, and hits at 40 was not uncommon Not long ago bought a 1959 model, so far just plinked 50 rounds or so, best I could tell it shoots as well as the new one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first gun was a Remington 511. I still have it, and it's every bit as accurate today as it was 56 years ago. We were overrun with squirrels 2 years ago, and I killed 50 with it. I'll never get rid of it.

I have a 10-22, one that I put a bull barrel on. Shoots absolutely great. If you miss with it, it's not the rifles fault.

Also have a Winchester 1906. It has no bluing left, and the bore is pretty worn, but it get's packed quite often.

IC B2

G
GRG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't believe I have seen a Marlin model 56 listed. Great gun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm heartened to see all of you guys are as big a fan of the .22LR as I am.

Being a rimfire looney, I've owned almost every one mentioned so far at one point or another; but as the years went by I focused more on my favorites. To my detriment, I've let some truly great ones slip through my fingers also, but who hasn't right?

Now I'm down to a much smaller collection, but the ones I do have will shoot with the best of them as I've tried to focus more on quality and accuracy.

Quite a few Win 52's with period scopes and irons - one of them is a true Bull barrel.
A couple Rem 541T's and a 541S.
A customized Kimber 82G.
And my most recent addition: a NULA Model 20 that I call "The Hammer of Thor" because it kills everything I point it at like it was struck by lightning.

I also have a Ruger Govt. model mark II with a Leupold scope that I've had for around twenty years that still shoots bug holes, as well a couple other pistols that I keep as training guns, and an M1 replica .22 LR just because I like it.

The .22LR is by far my favorite caliber. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have access to a few more, but I own only one .22lr. A Glenfield model 60.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/73321.jpg

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only 2 "must haves" that I have are the Marlin 39A and a Ruger 10/22. The little Henry lever action .22 is really nice too. That action is slicker than deer guts on a door knob.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winchester 9422, and Marlin model 60

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
smith & wesson model 17

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned two Anschutz 54 Sporters. Both accurate, but I could never get along with the rollover stock for a walk about field rifle. Off the bench, they were great. After I moved on they came out with the American style stock. I know that in .22s, ammo is everything, but my Kimber of Oregon and repro 52 were disappointing.

I have two Marlin 39A Golden Mounties (59 and 67), Remington 510 (inherited) and a Nice 511 ($40 pawn shop find a few years ago), that all eat less than target grade ammo and are accurate. Two Browning SA made in Belgium that work for me nicely

As to handguns, I have both Dad's and Mom's Ruger Mk I pistols and my own bull barrel Mk I that all pass muster. My Bearcat likes Yellow Jackets and honestly, my SS Super Single Six is still a virgin. I have had it 6-7 years. Got to see if it is a keeper?

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 06/19/18.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am just getting back into the 22lr game. I shot IHMSA for several years but drifted away from all shooting & hunting. I have started looking at 22lr rifles primarily for BR shooting at a near by club range. I am looking at a Kimber 82 Gov model and an Anschutz, anyone willing to give me your input on the two rifles, positive and negatives of each. I know there is a big difference in price but is there that much difference in accuracy? Thanks Daniel

P.S. I would welcome any other suggestions provided you have actual experience with that brand & model.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 06/23/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's hard to go wrong with a 54 action Anschutz. There are tons of older 54's on the market not to mention new ones as well.

There will always be the rare exception, but I haven't seen a Kimber Government model that will hang with an Anschutz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My two current favorites are my LCR and a Stevens Favorite.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty much have what I'd call must own.

Marlin 39A
Tony Kidd 10/22
CZ 452
Ruger MKIII with TacSol threaded uppper
Ruger MKII

May add to this list some time.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
smith & wesson model 17

One of my might adds.. or maybe a 63.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
smith & wesson model 17

One of my might adds.. or maybe a 63.

several years back i plunked down $800 for a 98% 50s vintage one ... about what youd pay for the new production MIM version. whether or not i overpaid, it has been worth the $$.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I ordered a CZ bolt rig today, no frills.
Had a 2-7X Leupold laying around.........needed a rifle wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 204guy, 17 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.