Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The most insulting to me was their reintroduction of the classic models of yesteryear with the hole added. Who buys this stuff??

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me the hole and the new shape of the frame is aesthetically displeasing. But I'm a shooter, not a collector. My 617 with MIM and IL has over 50k rounds through it and there have been ZERO problems. Never encountered a problem with the IL, so clearly the revolvers work just fine. Currently S&W has some very interesting revolvers in their lineup that I would not hold off of just because of the IL. Money is my problem...I keep buying other guns. Just bought another Hi Power, and I'm building an FN FAL currently. But the next one on my mind is the current S&W 6.5" model 29; that has my attention.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I have some lock and some non lock. Prefer the latter but I don’t lay awake at night.

+1, same here. Never had an issue with either type.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HE112: I attended a gunshow in Montana last week. Maybe 150 - 200 tables?
Anyway every single "hillary holed" Smith & Wesson revolver offered for sale there was turned on the side to "hide" the "hillary hole"!
I have been noticing this "trend" with "hillary holed" Smith & Wessons for some time now.

Yup. The same thing happens with the photos on gun auction sites. There is typically one photo in the bunch that shows the gun from some odd angle where you can see the lock, but only one, and it isn't a full on profile, clearly showing the lock.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I agree with you completely and am dumbfounded as to why Smith & Wesson made this mistake?

Because it provides a layer of lawyer-proofing, and S&W knows that the gun community is always more about talk than action. If buyers refused to buy guns with locks, the locks would go away. But, buyers continue to slurp them up like pie on Thanksgiving, griping about the gun as they lay down $800 for it.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
To me the hole and the new shape of the frame is aesthetically displeasing. But I'm a shooter, not a collector. My 617 with MIM and IL has over 50k rounds through it and there have been ZERO problems. Never encountered a problem with the IL, so clearly the revolvers work just fine. Currently S&W has some very interesting revolvers in their lineup that I would not hold off of just because of the IL. Money is my problem...I keep buying other guns. Just bought another Hi Power, and I'm building an FN FAL currently. But the next one on my mind is the current S&W 6.5" model 29; that has my attention.

Just find an original.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by dale06
I have some lock and some non lock. Prefer the latter but I don’t lay awake at night.

+1, same here. Never had an issue with either type.

The issues appear to crop up mainly with the aluminum alloy framed revolvers chambered in hard recoiling calibers, e.g., tiny scandium .357 Magnum J-Frames, or Scandium N-Frame .44 Magnums.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Yes, they look really nice. Clean checkering also.

Thanks. If I could recall who made it, I'd let you know.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Clearly you are incorrect all IL revolvers do not “work just fine”, I’ve had the interlock engage on my 357 PD when shooting fast double action. That is clearly not working just fine.

I removed the interlock and now my revolver “clearly works just fine”

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A friend of mine had his 69 lock up on him during a range session. I've purchased two IL S&Ws, a .45 LC mountain gun and a 69, so I admit to contributing to the problem. In both cases I bought the gun because it was a practical solution to my needs. I also immediately disabled the stupid lock. S&W has saved me alot of money by insisting on the lock. I would've bought alot more of their guns if they didn't have it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No lawyer locks for me. All but one Smith I own is pre 1981 pinned and recessed. The other is a 642 NO lock.

Great question earlier, who is buying this lock crap!?

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The S&W rep (he's an ass) told me they only make the hammerless guns without the IL, but he couldn't tell me why.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
All new handguns ship with a separate cable lock. If someone is so concerned about locking their guns they can use the cable lock. This makes the internal lock superfluous. The internal lock adds nothing to the function of the gun and there have been cases of it engaging during firing.

Click Here

Click Here

As long as Smith & Wesson continues with their folly I won't buy one with the internal lock. Apparently I'm not alone judging by the prices of used Smith's without the lock.

Last edited by walt501; 06/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by winchester70
Great question earlier, who is buying this lock crap!?

The first annual sales report I could find was for 2014. S&W sold just under 269K revolvers, Ruger sold 278K revolvers, but I'm guessing the bulk of those were single action. So it looks like righteous indignation won't be causing them to see the light any time soon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,689
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.