Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A bunch of long winded bastards

Steelhead,

Calling riflemen/ hunters here names does not make you look good, In fact your rude language makes you bad.

please improve.

Talking out your ass is helpful though?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hanco
The perfect deer rifles have already been built, Sako L-61’s

[Linked Image]

Too bad you spent all of that money on a good rifle and put cheap glass on them that will crater the first time you turn the knobs on them. whistle

Oops. Wrong forum. j/k Hanco-most of mine are of the same persuasion.

Last edited by Ruger77Shooter; 06/25/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The ultimate whitetail rifle is just any ole .308 Creedmoor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StrayDog

You got a reamer?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've always liked the look and feel of a BLR. Been on my list for awhile. Damn we're lucky to have so many choices!

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not much building to it. Buy it. Scope it. Go hunt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another in ought six
[Linked Image]

An assortment in 7 Rem mag, 25/06, and 338 Win mag.
[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tansinator
Tikka CTR in .308 in a factory wood stock and factory mags!

Solid advice. Skip the CTR if you like - the rest is perfect!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireboss
I'm building a whitetail rifle and I'm wondering what everyone is using for their deer hunting. I'm planning on a short action in 7mm08, 7x57, or 308 with a 20 or 22 inch barrel with a scope in the 2x7 or fixed 6x range. I'm not looking for a lightweight rifle but don't want something too heavy. I like nice wood stocks but synthetics are ok too.

I don't like short action rifles, because of short magazines, though I have a couple. The 7x57 is a great cartridge but in a short magazine rifle - not so much.

If I were to have only one deer rifle for all hunting conditions and was stuck with a short action...
Then any of the 308 based cartridges from 243 to 358 would work.
As much as I like old classic cartridges and I'm holding my nose as I write this, a 6.5 Creed would work. But I'd prefer the 6.5x55 just because.

If you included Mauser 98 actions or longer than a short action 700, then the 7x57 would be a great cartridge.

As far as scope (and cartridges) goes, where you hunt makes a big difference. If you hunt at dusk and at dawn in waning light, you might consider a larger objective lens than what a 2x7 would have. My brother-in-law last year was using a 2x7 and he shot his deer near dark. He replaced that 2x7 scope directly there after. He said he was lucky.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine would be .250 Savage smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Mine would be .250 Savage smile

Mine is a .250 Savage. the little cartridge that can and...does.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
8x57's aren't that hard to come by...it works fine for this guy!!!

[Linked Image]

4x scopes are pretty useful too.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The 308 Creedmoor is the "30TC", the most worthless cartridge development ever, except the 30TC case was used to develop the 6.5 Creedmoor.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The 30 TC. Watered down 300 Savage. It wasn't so much the cartridge itself that was a big looser. The problem is,we just don't need anymore .30 caliber offerings. So in an effort to cross all the "Ts" and dot all the "I"s, 6.5 got the nod. It was the only logical choice. In a stale market,in a country not overly blessed with .264 diameter offerings. A stroke of marketing genius. Mag length and twist came online in the early going and a star was born. Not my personal cup of tea,but who can argue the benefits? I do the load development for my daughters. It's a nifty little case,with a slippery little bullet. Doesn't eat much. Not particularly speedy. In a 20" barrel anyway. It fills a niche nicely,but I'm not breathless over it. It could very well be the ultimate whitetail round. In the right rifle,with a 22" barrel.

Last edited by Otter6; 07/06/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

The 308 Creedmoor is the "30TC", the most worthless cartridge development ever, except the 30TC case was used to develop the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Most worthless ever? More worthless than the Dardick Tround or Remington Etronx? I hadn't realized the 30 TC was that bad.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Not worthless, just the ultimate in redundancy. Like a bunch of other short&fats from that era, a feller with a pile of brass will be fine. Before they pulled the plug on it, I was semi-interested in picking up an Icon (once I read that they were making a different trigger guard), but all I ever saw were for their silly little .30.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ultimate whitetail rifle;

Well if beauty and class are not part of the definition of "ultimate" I'd have to say an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, light barrel, 4X scope and a good set of back up sights, tele-stock and match trigger.

Such a rifle is about the most user-friendly rifle yet invented in rifle history, with excellent accuracy, real "deer rifle" ballistics, one size fits all, even fits hot and cold weather clothing with the same stock, excellent reliability, light to moderate weight and very low recoil.

The only down-side to them is the looks.

I for one love to enjoy the feel and class of a rifle when I am hunting, so my Ultimate whitetail rifle is this.
[Linked Image]My Rifle 3 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Maybe the post should have read "The Ultimate enjoyment in a Whitetail rifle"

If function is the measure of the rifle, I don't believe anything out there can match the hybrid AR15 or AR10 rifles available today.
But if enjoyment is the measure of "ultimate" you will have as many answers as you have hunters, and not one of them is wrong.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Oh hell yeah! I built a 58 Leman a few winters back.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WELL DONE Otter!
smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Id have posted more pics,but Photobucket dinked me around.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Are you going by post count?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.