Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
This thread started on 6/11. Today is 7/13. Personally, I'm moved by Tract's commitment to finding the scope. Most companies would've given up looking for it weeks ago. I made these flyers for you to hang up in your warehouse. I hope they help.

[Linked Image]

The scope was indeed located by a reporter and gave an on camera interview but it’s appearance was “Blacked Out” to protect it’s location. The scope said it didn’t want to be found for fear of being sent back to Formidilosus and subjected to more torture tests like being dropped from a 12’ft ladder onto its face and used like an ASP to beat felons into a fetal position.

When pressed by the reporter for more details of its experience at the hands of a trained “Man of Sam”. The scope said it remembered gunfire, lots and lots of gun fire, to the point it was shaking violently inside. At this point the scope asked for the reporter to stop zeroing in on the specifics of the torture and abruptly ended the interview...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nary a scope has had it so good. In its short life, It got to see the world. It rode atop a bunch of fine rifles and was the subject of several photo shoots. It starred in movies and was the guest of some of our best.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It feels so Howard Hughes, now 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Laffin.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Haters are going to hate, fan boys are going to fan, anything made my humans has some rate of failure, and companies are going to engage in puffery to sell their wares.....until they can’t anymore. Hoping that’s where Tract is. For the record, I’m a fanboy of the Toric binos (but haven’t pulled the trigger on the scopes). I have little paitience for cost and hassle of replacing scopes (particularly during load development or hunting). Over the years I’ve had to replace Redfield, Burris, Leupold, Swarovski, Minox and now Zeiss. Shoot enough, or have high expectations, and it happens from time to time. Did Tracts first rep say unbelievably stupid things? Absolutely. Have their been product failures? Yes. We’ll all benefit if Tract and other new players push and challenge the industry to innovate and cut costs. Let’s move on. By the way, if anyone from Tract is listening, let’s see a 30mm hunting scope with hunter friendly turrets, and a hunter friendly illuminated reticle. Less than 25oz weight is ok if the internals are tough and repeatable and glass is stellar. .

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkaddict
...By the way, if anyone from Tract is listening, let’s see a 30mm hunting scope with hunter friendly turrets, and a hunter friendly illuminated reticle. Less than 25oz weight is ok if the internals are tough and repeatable and glass is stellar. .

You don't want much from a scope that sells for less than $750.00 do you? Man, I'm glad that you guys who are constantly raking Tract and their representatives over the coals are, in part, doing so to save poor fools like me from purchasing one of their scopes just because it isn't equal to a Nightforce Mil-Spec scope's ($3K+) internals and Tangent Theta's optics ($4.5K).

ppppfffffffttttttt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by elkaddict
...By the way, if anyone from Tract is listening, let’s see a 30mm hunting scope with hunter friendly turrets, and a hunter friendly illuminated reticle. Less than 25oz weight is ok if the internals are tough and repeatable and glass is stellar. .

You don't want much from a scope that sells for less than $750.00 do you? Man, I'm glad that you guys who are constantly raking Tract and their representatives over the coals are, in part, doing so to save poor fools like me from purchasing one of their scopes just because it isn't equal to a Nightforce Mil-Spec scope's ($3K+) internals and Tangent Theta's optics ($4.5K).

ppppfffffffttttttt.

Just SWFA Fixed internals ($299) with SS 3-9x optics or better ($599) would be great! Add some great reticle options and well-designed turret options (hunting and target), and maybe a few luxuries like ZS and illum, for under $1k, and they’d be right there with the LRHS, which is pretty tall cotton.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Just SWFA Fixed internals ($299) with SS 3-9x optics or better ($599) would be great! Add some great reticle options and well-designed turret options (hunting and target), and maybe a few luxuries like ZS and illum, for under $1k, and they’d be right there with the LRHS, which is pretty tall cotton.

I don't doubt your assessment. You've been there, done that, got lots of t-shirts. I just wish I had one of the SS HD models to observe the optics myself. If the optics are as good as you say I'd probably spring for the 5-20 model. The optical quality of the non-HD models has been described as average/adequate. When I hear/read the adjective "stellar" applied to optics, I think S&B, Zeiss, Hensoldt, Tangent Theta. A question - what does the optical quality of the SS HD models compare to? The internals are clearly as good as Nightforce, the Gold Standard of scope reliability and click to click accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 3-9x HD is optically what I would call “very good”, and to my eye is about Conquest level, slightly better than VX3. The resolution of SWFA scopes is likely their optical strong point in my mind.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I wouldn’t say SWFA is as reliable or durable as Nightforce- no one can make that claim. To do so means that a company would need to test every single scope that left their factory for function and zero retention with impacts. However, SWFA has proven to be very reliable and is only second behind NF of any scopes I’ve seen or used for problem free service.

Most of the people talking about the glass in the SWFA’s are either talking about something they’ve never seen or compared, or are just repeating what they’ve been told. When I first started using SWFA’s heavily in 2010, everyone commented on how good the glass was in the 3-9x and 6x thinking they were a NF or S&B as that’s what most of the other scopes we were using were, and they had no idea who SWFA was.

People see what they want to see. People complain about reticles, glass, weight, size... What do you want to bet that every single person that claims they “can’t see” the reticle, or the glass is “ok”- would have ZERO issues finding and killing a 200” buck standing in front of them in legal light...?

I’m drinking coffee looking at $5,000 scopes, $300 scopes, and everything in between. I would hunt any animal in the world with the SS scopes and not think twice about.

The 3-9x42mm SWFA is equel/better than Leupold VX3. The 5-20x50mm is Swarovski Z5 level.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but you’re really just trying to find the “where abouts” of the scope to shut it up from talking about what you did....Torturer! 😜😎
That’s some high praise for the SWFA 5-20x50.

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 3-9x HD is optically what I would call “very good”, and to my eye is about Conquest level, slightly better than VX3. The resolution of SWFA scopes is likely their optical strong point in my mind.

The SS 3-9 is probably the best all-around optic for under $1000. It covers a lot of the bases for sure. I could do without the windage turret, and I’d love to see a zero stop.... ala LRHS. But as-is, I still think it’s the best option for a Western style big game rifle, that needs to be LR capable.

SS 5-20 is a tank, but it’s also incredible for the money. It’s a great optic for a belly-gun.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I wouldn’t say SWFA is as reliable or durable as Nightforce- no one can make that claim//...//The 3-9x42mm SWFA is equel/better than Leupold VX3. The 5-20x50mm is Swarovski Z5 level.

...which is precisely why I purchased a Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 most recently. I need to scope another rifle, but it's tame compared to what the Nightforce is on, so, I thought I would give the SS 5-20x50 a try. I'm at a disadvantage in that I've never been able to use a SS...the shooters at my gun club tend toward using very economical scopes with Leupold being the predominant choice of most of the shooters, followed by various Wal Mart blister pack-type scopes. I have to rely on what the shooters on here have to say about the various SS scopes.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating here; I consider what Formidilosus says about scopes, and rifles, as gospel. Only the Lord knows how many millions of rounds he has shot in his career. The man is an organic Google when it comes to shooting precision rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put faith in Form, Jordan and DShooter for truth in scope durability and glass equivalents. All three IMO use scopes to a degree I’m likely never going to. 😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m nowhere near Form’s class... and nowhere near as classy as Jordan.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I have not posted in this thread as it has (had) nothing to do with me and much prior experience has shown me that critical discussions do not go well with company reps. However as it seems there is confusion and or inference of what happened or did not happen with the Tract scope I was sent- so here we go.

First a bit of background-

Anyone can think anything they want about testing, repeatability, legitimacy, or relevance of how to evaluate a scope. The reality is I evaluate them as needed for field use. Will a 12” drop on a padded mat pass strict peer review in a controlled study? No. But it is absolutely a legitimate test to tell if a scope will hold zero: if the mounts and gun are beyond reproach. I was the lead on the most intensive and largest scope evaluation/test that has ever been conducted within the DOD- 18 months, 200,000 rounds with every single legitimate scope in that category being tested. For the first time scopes were tested for absolute function with no bias whatsoever by knowledgeable end users- not engineers that have no idea what we do with aiming devices. Tracking, adjustment error, zero retention, return to zero, side and top impacts, longevity under recoil, SFP vs FFP, mil vs MOA, and operational performance. Scopes were zeroed on guns with brand new barrels with a certain lot on ammunition and checked for zero retention constantly with only that lot.

Only two scopes came out of that not having failure- Nightforce and SWFA. The results of that project is being used by two major entities of the DOD to shape what and how they test optics.

Now for the Tract-

I did not ask for the Tract in any way. I said no when I was contacted about it being sent to me as I knew what the fallout would be from the “rep” and the company if it did poorly. It was stated by both the person that had it and the “rep” that they wanted it sent to me. I plainly stated how it would be tested, what I was looking for, and that if it failed it would probably be non-functional when Tract got it back. I also reiterated that I did not think they would like what the results would be, and that they should probably send it to someone else. That if it was “good” everyone would know it, and if it failed everyone would know. It was insisted that I test it. I also asked if they wanted me to replace the mount with another, I was told “nope” it’s good. Ok.

Well guess what? When mounted to a rifle of absolute consistency it produced 10 round groups of two-times the normal. It failed the most basic task a scope has- zeroing, holding POI during recoil, and zero retention. There was no malice, no bias, no subjective feelings, no “beliefs”, no “I wish”, no nonsense. It was tested exactly like every other scope I test/eval right up until the point it failed. That scope was sent back to Tract.

I did not ask for, and advised against it being sent to me because it was, and is, plainly obvious that Tract and their reps like almost every other company will try to hem and haw their way out of the results when it goes against their beliefs instead of owning it and improving the product. EVERY company, rep, engineer, and person will claim all day long how they want real results, and honest feedback.... right up until it goes against their product, their most recent purchase, or their favorite. People do not want truth- they want bliss. I’m happy to work with any company that actually desires to produce solid products, but I have no time for marketing, “features”, or salesman.

There has been calls to send me another Tract- DO NOT send me one. You won’t own the results.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

The SS 3-9 is probably the best all-around optic for under $1000. It covers a lot of the bases for sure. I could do without the windage turret, and I’d love to see a zero stop.... ala LRHS. But as-is, I still think it’s the best option for a Western style big game rifle, that needs to be LR capable.

SS 5-20 is a tank, but it’s also incredible for the money. It’s a great optic for a belly-gun.

I like this evaluation because of the qualifier "Western style big game rifle, that needs to be LR capable." I went out west in 1972 and probably won't go again. For my hunting in Pennsylvania and occasionally in Indiana, if I zero the rifle at about 175 yards I am an inch high at 100 yards and an inch low at 200 yards. This is all I need and I never need to touch windage and elevation after sighting in. I have some variables that I am taking to the range now to try out just in case I decide that I need more than 6x to engage the 300 yard target at my club's range (the issue is: does shifting point of impact as the power changes and additional parallax associated with the variable scope offset the availability of more power?). I would not shoot at an animal more than 300 yards away if I had the chance because that is the furthest at which I can practice. I might have a 300 yard shot across a field in Indiana in the next few years but there is a lot of wind blowing across that field.

I looked up the SS 3-9x42 HD on the SWFA website. The first thing I noticed was the turrets which I don't need. The second thing I noticed was the reticles which look like upside down German No. 4 reticles with hash marks that I don't need. Then I looked at the specs. It weighs 19 ounces which is 3 or 4 ounces heaver than the scopes I use but not enough to make any difference and I would like a little more weight if I am going to be shooting at a little more range. It is 13.1 inches long, only a little longer than my current scopes and about as long as the 3-9x40 Conquest I used to use. Finally I looked at the eye relief which varies from 4.13 inches to 3.03 inches, that is from great to unusable. For me this is either a very large 3x scope or a useable 9X scope depending on where the 4.13 inch eye relief is. The eye relief and reticle choice means I can't use it for the shooting and hunting I do. I would not choose it over the older 3-9x40 Conquest with either a #20 or German #4 reticle.

I am tempted by the Nightforce SHV 3-10 with the Forceplex reticle, but I am unsure about the eye relief and whether it is overbuilt for my use. I would have to at least look through one first. The scopes that I am looking at right now are the Tract Toric 2-10x42 and the Tract Turion 3-9x40. They both come with more than competitive glass for their price, an excellent hunting reticle in the T-plex and constant eye relief of about 4 inches. Based on the reticle choice and constant eye relief I would choose either over the SS 3-9 HD if I decide to replace my 6x42's. They both have mechanicals built in Japan. If I am lucky this year, I will shoot between 500-1000 rounds of .308 at the range and maybe some 6.5 Creedmoor, if the rifle is built in time, with two shots at deer. This shooting is spread over 3-4 rifles. With this level of use and the reports from hunters who use them harder than I ever will, I don't expect durability to be an issue. In shooting so far they track well when sighting in and the optics are fine in bright daylight as all optics are, but the image on the 6x42 keeps luring me back as it did with the 3-9x40 Conquests before them. If any of my scopes fail, I will do what I did with a couple of scopes in the past from other makers that failed, put a spare scope on the rifle and send the failed scope in for repair. After all, I am never going downrange.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bhoges
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
.... and how were they tested?

Does it really matter? No matter how I tested it you'll say I was flawed or have a vested interest.
I've tested the Toric and Tekoa out to 700 yards and the 22 out to 50 yards. I myself haven't tested the new 30mm model as of yet. I'd say I've run about 6 scopes on my rifles.

Enough with the BS. Let's make this absolutely, positively clear. This is your thread, about the products that you represent. Answer the questions. It's that simple.

Doug vouched for you and said you'd find the answers if you didn't know them (page 1). Well, crap, you and Doug look like clowns in many minds.

This can go round and round, but in the end you, Tract, and Doug will look like idiots until you start taking the bull by the horns and being honest.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/15/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bhoges
Yup that was all before my time. Im still trying to find the location of the one scope that came back. Im waiting for Jon to go to the warehouse. I wish things moved faster.

More BS from you and Tract. Waiting for Jon to locate the failed scope?

Are you serious?

No better yet, you expect us to take you and Tract seriously? Really?

This is your thread dude. Only you can revive it. Or Trevor.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
With no animus toward anyone, I would suggest that the only way Tract can avoid irreparable harm is to release some (4?) of their upper tier scopes for testing to some of the better shooters that frequent this board. Form and Jordan come to mind. I don't mean to leave anyone out...I know there are really quite a few shooters that could easily wring a scope out and reveal any failures should one or more occur; Form has helped me tremendously in the past and I have been aware of his vocation for a while. Jordan stands out because he clearly and dispassionately explains his understanding of whatever is the thread's subject. He writes very clearly and covers a topic he writes about very thoroughly. He also shows his targets/game and it is self-evident that he is an ace with a rifle. The other "aces" are apparent when they post, but they tend not to post that much.

Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.