Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My 222 wears one of the Coquille aluminum upgrades. Love it. Just want a short compact synthetic stock of some kind.

A McM Compact/Edge with BigJ’s trigger guard would be just about perfect.

DF

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My 222 wears one of the Coquille aluminum upgrades. Love it. Just want a short compact synthetic stock of some kind.

A McM Compact/Edge with BigJ’s trigger guard would be just about perfect.

DF

I would buy four of the duplicate style of BigJ's trigger guard to use on the dusty McMs and the 260 with the reversed 700 ADL trigger gurard that I already have.

It would be nice if McM would inlet for the factory bottom plastic, so that folks had the easy option of installing one of Willie's after-market alloy units without having to reinlet a $500+/- stock themselves.

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I'm planning on building 22/250 on a remington 600 with a 22'' barrel, anybody care to show some pics

Here's a .22-250 (8) twist Shilen #2, 22" on a Mohawk with aluminum bottom metal, Timney trigger, glassed and free floated.

Not that much custom work, but you get an ideal what the 22" barrel looks like. Much better balance with additional forward mass. This one is a tack driver with heavier bullets.

Go at least 8 twist... Check out this group with a MidwayUSA "80" gr. Hornady TAP/SBR bullets that actually weigh around 72 gr., although advertised as 80 gr. It's one of Hornady's short barrel rifle (SBR) bullets for .223 tactical. Midway sells a lot of Hornady surplus stuff, doesn't use their name. I had to figure out what this bullet was. http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr These bullets are not a catalog item, only available as surplus and no longer listed by Midway.

Not sure what they will do to a hog at 3,100 fps or so. One of these days...

This gun does very well with other 75 and 80 gr. bullets. Go fast twist, works well with lighter bullets, too.

that's what I call cool old school!

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

It would be nice if McM would inlet for the factory bottom plastic, so that folks had the easy option of installing one of Willie's after-market alloy units without having to reinlet a $500+/- stock themselves.

Yes, yes it would. I only have one Remington bolt action and I don't want to learn all the in's and out's of them, I just want a drop in stock.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought this 308 new in 1974 as a M600 Mowhawk. Killed many deer and hogs with it and it changed a lot over the years, It has always shot MOA or better with 150's and 168's. RJ
[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rj308
I bought this 308 new in 1974 as a M600 Mowhawk. Killed many deer and hogs with it and it changed a lot over the years, It has always shot MOA or better with 150's and 168's. RJ
[Linked Image]

Details on that stock.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

Sure it was a Mohawk not a normal 600? The short shroud and silver bolt handle are 600 style not mohawk. The Mohawk had an overlength shroud (like they use on m7’s) and the handle was blued. The action was also marked “Mohawk” .

Last edited by bigJ; 06/10/18.
S
S
I own a Rem 600 in .35 Rem and I believe that one visual difference is that the Mohawk does not have the ventilated rib.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

That makes a 600 look GOOD! That is a beautiful little rifle.

One of the first rifles I ever bought, at age 18, was a vent-ribbed 600 .308. It would shoot, but it beat the stuffin's out of me, at a hefty 135lbs, I was pretty skinny back then. I decided a 700BDL would kick me less, so I sold it and bought the 700. It would NOT shoot worth a crap. I think that started me down the road of looneyism for awhile.
I think I've overcome the looneyism now, but now I have a rimfire affliction.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swampdude
I own a Rem 600 in .35 Rem and I believe that one visual difference is that the Mohawk does not have the ventilated rib.

The 600 also has a much thinner barrel profile than the Mohawk, and the trigger was black on the 600, and gold plated on the Mohawk.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check with 24hcf member firearms44. He loves 600s and has a few that he made into customs. One was a 358winchester

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dirtfarmer, The stock was from Richards micro-fit. Micro-fit, my ass. The barreled action would not begin to fit into the stock and the outside was more like a blank. Anyway, first round, it turned out to be a much larger stock than I wanted. I put it back into the original Mohawk hardwood stock and hunted it for the next 20 years. I finally got the walnut stock out slimmed and whittled it down to my liking, oil finished it, put an ebony fore end tip on it and sent it off for checkering.

bigj, I'm absolutely sure it is a Mohawk, it does have it stamped on the action. When I bought it in 1974 for $149, before shooting it, I stripped down the barreled action and sent it off to Marker Machine Company in Charleston, Illinois and had the bore, chamber and bolt hard chromed. When I shot it after that, it would shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups with my hand loads and has ever since. Factory loads usually shoot under an inch. And the bore cleans with only a few strokes. RJ

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

bigj, I'm absolutely sure it is a Mohawk, it does have it stamped on the action. When I bought it in 1974 for $149, before shooting it, I stripped down the barreled action and sent it off to Marker Machine Company in Charleston, Illinois and had the bore, chamber and bolt hard chromed. When I shot it after that, it would shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups with my hand loads and has ever since. Factory loads usually shoot under an inch. And the bore cleans with only a few strokes. RJ

Thanks RJ for the clarification.
The chromed handle, abbreviated shroud, and black trigger shoe all had me convinced it was a 600.
Nice rifle, for sure.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the compliments. There is a hidden advantage in that "dog leg" bolt handle. With the bolt knob back toward the center of the bolt length, you have less tendency for the bolt to bind in the receiver race-way. It makes for a smooth bolt throw, similar to a Tikka, (well, almost). I forgot who sold that steel bottom metal. but it was a good upgrade. After a couple of years the factory plastic "bottom metal" tends to warp. RJ

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dirtfarmer, The stock was from Richards micro-fit. Micro-fit, my ass. The barreled action would not begin to fit into the stock and the outside was more like a blank. Anyway, first round, it turned out to be a much larger stock than I wanted. I put it back into the original Mohawk hardwood stock and hunted it for the next 20 years. I finally got the walnut stock out slimmed and whittled it down to my liking, oil finished it, put an ebony fore end tip on it and sent it off for checkering.

Richards "micro-fit" is anything but.;;

They do have a nice selection of wood and styles, but their in-letting looks like something done by a drunk beaver... Worst in-letting I've ever seen.

Too bad we can't have Richards wood and style selections with Boyd in-letting...

Oh well...

That's a nice stock, even though it took a bunch of work.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I built a 600 five years ago out of a .308 Win. factory gun that was one of my least favorites into what has become one of my favorite rifles ever.

I screwed on a M7 barrel in .260 Rem. and installed the Timney trigger, and the after-market aluminum trigger guard and mag.

The balance of the gun with the short barrel just begged to be stocked as a Mannlicher to me. So I found a nice piece of French and had a friend put it together.

It loves the Barnes 130 gr. TSX and I've taken several animals (pronghorn and whitetails) with it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I built a 600 five years ago out of a .308 Win. factory gun that was one of my least favorites into what has become one of my favorite rifles ever.

I screwed on a M7 barrel in .260 Rem. and installed the Timney trigger, and the after-market aluminum trigger guard and mag.

The balance of the gun with the short barrel just begged to be stocked as a Mannlicher to me. So I found a nice piece of French and had a friend put it together.

It loves the Barnes 130 gr. TSX and I've taken several animals (pronghorn and whitetails) with it.

Pictures?

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have some pics, but no luck compressing them enough to load here.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 06/11/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Open an Imgur account. Very easy to operate and free.

You can size photos.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would like to see that. ^^^^^

LOL
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.