Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hello all and happy New Year. A while back I was looking at a Vaquero, then things came up and funds had to be spent elsewhere. Then for Christmas, my family got together and bought one for me from a friend who owns a local shop. Long story short, I'm a proud owner of a Ruger Birds Head Vaquero - color case finish with black micarta grips - .357 Mag., 4 5/8" barrel. Now I need some leather. I'm not an action shooter, but I want something a little more than just a holster to attach to a belt in my closet. Plus, it must look cool. If anyone out there has a similar sidearm, do you have any pics of your rig? I'm wondering how that all-black Ruger would look against different colored rigs. Basically, the colors I see out there are a light to medium brown, a dark chestnut brown and black. Anyone recommend a good leather shop?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A couple of sources for reasonably inexpensive holsters are El Paso Saddlery and San Pedro Saddlery. They will both make a holster to fit the gun. Their websites have info on all their models.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another option is to go to Cabelas.com and look at their cowboy gear. They have some great prices on decent quality holsters. I've bought a couple of their "Slim Jim" style holsters because they are reasonably historically accurate and less than $20!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Once you get your holsters, you'll need a pair of these...

eBay link: http://tinyurl.com/yl3f75

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mernickel Custom Holsters, if still doing business, is the way to go. Heard awhile back that Bob wasn't well, but try their site and be impressed. Order one, and be amazed.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you all for the info. My Vaquero is currently in the hands of Bob James for a tune-up and trigger job...meanwhile, I continue my search for leather. So far, Black Hills, El Paso, Brigade and Mernickle have rigs that have caught my eye. I should get my SA back next week, so hopefully I'll decide on something semi-soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check these folks out, http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.com/wwlw/ that is where I got this rig for my CAS endeavors.
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That is a nice rig! I'll check them out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hi AZ Southpaw,

The holsters and belt were $140.00, my wife bought me the pouch from the SASS mercantile for Christmas and the knife is a Muella from Spain that Bob at A/N Fashions gave me for Christmas.

Any way, Western & Wildlife Wonders also has very nice grips, spurs and badges plus other 19th century western goodies, they have many different types of holsters and belts with and without bullet loops.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
AZ Southpaw. I have several holsters from different makers but the ones that REALLY stand out are from : Old West Reproductions " Rick Bachman. Great quality and He has styles that work. www.OldWestReproductions.com

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
AZ Southpaw,

You are going to LOVE that gun once Bob gets through with it. He did my 1rst and 3rd Generation Colt SAA's and they were glorious!!

Look at Old West Reproductions. Rick has a huge selection of period gunleather and each piece is hand cut, hand sewn & hand tooled using Herman Oaks Saddle leather.

Old West Reproductions - Rick Bachman

He made some of the gun leather in Tombstone. Specifically the two gun rig worn by Texas Jack Vermillion and some other peices.

I really like lever action rifles. Sure it's romantic, but it's also very American.

I just wanted him to know, that I'm a bull too!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Bob James did a fine job on my Vaquero - SLICK describes it pretty well. I bought some bagged leather off the shelf from the local Sportsman Warehouse, and a couple days latter it went back. Not bad, but not quite. I'm off to checking out the sites mentioned above once again.

AZSouthpaw,

Check out Tom Dyer up in Kingman, AZ.

www.saguarogunleather.com/

Tom's delivery time is excellent. Maybe the best in the business from order to delivery. He does lovely carving. Either opt for one of the rigs shown on his website, id the rig you like from PACKING IRON, or talk to him about something you have in concept. Unlike some of the maker's mentioned, he uses top skirting leather and will improve considerably on the belt loop design to keep the weapon securely positioned and prevent it from hanging out from the body and swinging when you walk or "do the dance." He does practical rigs as well as CAS rigs, but his real forte is fancy carving on a practical rig for a SA sixgun.

Good luck in your search.

"We are different from Don Quixote. Don Quixote rode against windmills thinking that they were giants. We ride against windmills, knowing that they are windmills, but thinking that there ought to be someone in this materialistic world to ride against windmills." JL
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Real nice stuff...though I'll admit I'm into high quality leather, but plain Jane looks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,006
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.